sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
MUSIC RECOMMENDATIONS - K-OST BALLADS
Written by: meltrosz

balladrecs.png

To all the masses who love ballads and Korean drama OSTs, may they find solace and consolation through these songs

As an avid Korean drama fan, sometimes the soundtrack can improve my impression of a show by multiple folds. And my favorite kind of song is the ballad that comes in during a dramatic scene because this is when the crescendo of emotions comes in. Therefore, I'm always on the lookout for good ballads in Korean drama soundtracks. However, I was mostly watching Korean dramas from 2016 to 2018, so most songs here will be from that period. If you have any Korean drama OST ballad that you love but isn't on this list, feel free to recommend them in the comments section! Also, if you would like to check out other songs related to each recommendation, you can click on the title to listen to it on YouTube!

#1- Ailee - 'I Will Go To You Like The First Snow'

Read the lyrics here

"
Guardian: The Lonely and Great God", or more commonly known as simply Goblin, is a treasure trove of beautiful ballads such as Crush's "Beautiful", Lasse Lindh's "Hush", and Soyou's "I Miss You". However, I picked Ailee's "I Will Go To You Like The First Snow" to represent them all not only because of the beauty of the music but also the singer's voice as well. Ailee is considered by many as one of the best singers in Korean popular music, and most would have probably heard this song already. It is a beautiful ballad that lets you feel both the cold of the winter and the warmth of love even if you cannot understand the lyrics. Ailee's dynamic vocals make this song never tiring to listen to.

BCbH4M4.png

#2- Damsonegongbang - 'Loving With All Your Heart'

Read the lyrics here

If you're looking for jaw-dropping vocals or instrumentations that will give you goosebumps, you might be disappointed with this song. "Loving With All Your Heart" is one of the main soundtracks of "
I'm Not A Robot" and has very simple vocals and barely has any belting nor does it showcase Damsonegongbang's vocal range. The instrumentation is also mostly just chords on the keyboard/piano. Nevertheless, its simplicity and down-to-earth quality is the reason why this is one if not my favorite song on this list. The lyrics are about the desire or longing to be able to love someone with all your heart, but you're hesitant because you're scared to get hurt. It's very simple and is a common theme in ballads, but Damsonegongbang was able to breathe so much emotion to this song that everything is just perfect. You should also check out the other ballad in the show's soundtrack, Kim Yeonji's "Words of My Heart"!

BCbH4M4.png

#3- Jeong Eunji - 'You're My Garden'

Read the lyrics here

Words are no longer needed to describe how good a singer Apink's Eunji is, but if you've never heard her sing before, "You're My Garden" from the hit TV series "Strong Woman Do Bong-soon" will easily make you a fan. She has a lower timbre than most female singers, but she is still able to hit high notes beautifully and harmonically. One of the parts I love in ballads is the highlight on the singer's vocals rather than the instrumentation, and this song does not disappoint. Eunji is very dynamic and pours out her emotions into the song, which makes her voice very soothing to listen to. However, the instrumentation isn't for decoration either, as it also has its highlights and most of all perfectly complements Eunji's vocals and the story she wants to tell with her singing.

BCbH4M4.png

#4- Kyuhyun - 'If You'

Read the lyrics here

"The Best Hit" was not a very popular TV series, but it had one of my favorite ballads, "If You" by Super Junior's Kyuhyun. People who have been listening to K-Pop for a long time already know how good Kyuhyun is, but many who are new to the genre have probably never heard him before. Right from the opening, Kyuhyun's humming will already send chills throughout your whole body. One of my favorite parts in the song is how he cuts up each line in the verse which teases the ear and leaves you wanting more each time. His amazing control with how he modulates his voice and his falsetto also impressed me. His spotlight, no doubt, is towards the end where he was able to not lose out against the crescendoing instrumentation, which was a chill-inducing moment.

BCbH4M4.png

#5- Henry - 'It's You'

Read the lyrics here

This song by Henry for the hit TV series "While You Were Sleeping" was sung entirely in English, which helps international fans easily connect to it. This also allows Henry to pour his emotions into the song. There are no complicated vocal techniques employed in the song, but this is compensated by the arrangement that is full of changes and keeps it from being bland. It's a pure serenade full of emotions and touching lyrics. The lyrics also help international fans be able to sing along to it easily, which I think aids in making it accessible and more listenable. It's a very exciting song that will make you blush if it was ever sung to you by the person you like. You should also check out the other ballads from the soundtrack: Eddy Kim's "
When Night Falls" and Bae Suzy's "I Love You Boy".

AAAABdOBi6DymdbEEi-NuQfnytblPXmrM4Hj-t_cX1lKrPHVTrvgDc-x0mXOkeljcfqI_TR9CMBbuB2hEFEFVti-OcnG12d1.jpg

#6- Davichi - 'This Love'

Read the lyrics here

"Descendants of the Sun" is another TV series that is a treasure trove of great ballads such as Yoon Mirae's "
Always" and Gummy's "You Are My Everything", but my favorite is the theme song of the secondary characters, Davichi's "This Love". All three songs are great, and Yoon Mirae, Gummy, and Davichi are fantastic artists. However, I find "This Love" very magical. The opening riff of the song is already very memorable, and anything that can accomplish that is definitely special. It doesn't take long for the song to build to the pre-chorus and chorus, so it means that you will be instantly hooked in. Both sections are also very beautiful to the ears and make you feel their longing. The lyrics are also just as equally impressive. It's a song of gratitude to someone for loving them and how that love has helped them survive and live on.

BCbH4M4.png

#7- Huh Gak - 'Cosmos'

Read the lyrics here

Not many people would probably know Huh Gak, but those who do know him are also aware of how great a singer he is. Along with Nam Saera's
"Fade Into You", "Cosmos" is a ballad in the soundtrack of the drama "Clean With Passion For Now". The song starts very softly, almost like a whisper, then it starts to slowly build up towards the chorus. The chorus also starts softly but quickly becomes more and more powerful. It's very exciting how Huh Gak keeps stepping up the intensity and even when you think it has reached the crescendo, it still keeps growing. The structure of the song is also very interesting, consisting of only one verse that is never repeated and is instead mostly just the refrain over and over with a bridge in the middle for variation. Nevertheless, I like it since the verse did not make much of an impact, so doing it only once and repeating the intense chorus over and over makes it more memorable for me.

BCbH4M4.png

#8- Taeyeon - 'Only One'

Read the lyrics here

Taeyeon
is not only a popular singer but also a very skilled one as well, and she shows it in this song. It is one of the soundtracks of "That Winter The Wind Blows", a drama starring Song Hye-kyo and Jo In-sung, alongside big names in the music industry such as Gummy's "
Snowflake" and The One's "A Winter Story". The lyrics in the verses and chorus of the song are partly repetitive, making it very catchy to listen to. Taeyeon also has very good control of her low and high register in this song, which not only showcases her flexibility but also gives the song a lot of room to be dynamic. Her low registers are soothing as if she's just conversing while her high registers are melodious and pleasant to the ears. She was also able to perfectly convey the sadness and melancholy of the song.

BCbH4M4.png

#9- Joy - 'The Way To Me'

Read the lyrics here

Red Velvet's Joy
may not be popular as a vocalist, but it was through the drama "The Liar and His Lover" and its soundtrack (which Joy sang most of the songs) that I fell in love with her voice. I had a hard time choosing between this and the other ballad on the soundtrack, Joy's "
Your Days", on which to feature on this list because both were equally beautiful. In the end, I chose her cover of Sung Si-kyung's hit song. The song starts softly and slowly as if reminiscing happy memories and then gradually builds up towards the chorus, becoming more passionate like a lament. Although her cover is not as dynamic as the original, I think she was still able to give the song justice and pour her emotions into the song. Her sweet voice makes it very pleasing and soothing to listen to.

BCbH4M4.png

#10- Lee Juck - 'Don't Worry'

Read the lyrics here

If you're having a tough time or feeling depressed, let Lee Juck soothe your spirit with this ballad. His deep and calming voice, along with a simple acoustic guitar, fits perfectly with the message of the song ― to not worry about anything and just sing together. There's something magical in Lee Juck's voice that makes you feel like he understands what you're going through, and he assures you that everything will be alright. It feels like he has experienced the vicissitudes of life and wants to share that experience with us. The song also has a simple but catchy melody, making it easy to "sing together". I can't count how many times I found solace and consolation in this song by just listening to Lee Juck's sonorous voice or even singing along. The other ballads from this drama's soundtrack are also equally powerful ― Oh Hyuk's "
A Little Girl" and Park Boram's "Hyehwadong".

rNA5smD3hQy4PTgzKBgGEjsd0ii.jpg

Those are all my favorite ballads from Korean drama soundtracks. Thank you for listening to them! Did you like any? Maybe you'll add some of them to your playlist and listen to them again in the future. It will be the highest form of compliment I can receive, and I appreciate it. Most of the songs here were from 2016 - 2018 when I was active in watching Korean dramas, so I know I've missed a lot of great songs out there. If you have any favorite ballads, feel free to drop them in the comments so other users can also listen to them! If you would like to listen to all of the songs in a YouTube playlist, then click the link below:

YouTube Playlist

reply_1988_cover.jpg

PROOFREAD BY: @カカロット
GRAPHICS BY: @meltrosz

Last edited by a moderator:

Yuki

Ç'est quoi ce merdier? Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,137,509
I will go to you like the first snow is THAT song.
I will check the rest out someday when I'm in the mood for some ballad.

BlueNose

Not to say that Im in love with you VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,195,600
As someone who watched Goblin, 'I Will Go To You Like The First Snow' still hits and is my favorite from the Goblin OSTs. The structure, the lyricism, the emotional delivery. peak ballad for a k-ballad to me

Eunji is one of my favorite vocals, so while i was watching Strong Woman, i knew it was her lol. it's such a sweet but wistful song. i was obsessed whle watching.

Taeyeon sounds absolutely great in Only One, i love how her performance here is subdued but powerful. she doesnt rely on scary high notes to get a point across (just casually belting) and i think that gives the song a different flavor from other ballads.

i will forever be grateful for what The Liar and His Love did with Joy (even i wasnt a fan of how alot of things during that time was carried out), essentially giving her an album of osts and a drama where she gets to show the songs and her vocals off. she's not the strongest vocalist, but she's good in her own right and has gotten better since these songs were recorded. Joy's version of 'The Way To Me' gave it completely different flavor from the original just from Joy's vocal tone and delivery alone. there's just something great about someone who can serve a good cover.

I remember Henry's ost from watching "While You Were Sleeping", but personally i preferred Suzy's "I Love You Boy". Henry's delivery and the song fit very well into the drama though!

Lee Juck's Don't Worry was a perfect fit into Reply 1988, it really got the aura of the drama and i enjoyed it there. unfortunately never finished Reply 1988 because i got busy just after i started watching.

i havent heard the other songs listed here, but i'll listen to them sometime soon

Last edited:

Dragon of the West

Iroh VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭798,250
My favorite from here is definitely It's Love by Henry because it's one of my top OSTs ever! I also really love any OST that comes from DOTS!

sexy cutie

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
I will go to you like the first snow is THAT song.
I will check the rest out someday when I'm in the mood for some ballad.
yes you should :shablob: I'm sure you'll love them and yes ailee's song is THAT song
As someone who watched Goblin, 'I Will Go To You Like The First Snow' still hits and is my favorite from the Goblin OSTs. The structure, the lyricism, the emotional delivery. peak ballad for a k-ballad to me

Eunji is one of my favorite vocals, so while i was watching Strong Woman, i knew it was her lol. it's such a sweet but wistful song. i was obsessed whle watching.

Taeyeon sounds absolutely great in Only One, i love how her performance here is subdued but powerful. she doesnt rely on scary high notes to get a point across (just casually belting) and i think that gives the song a different flavor from other ballads.

i will forever be grateful for what The Liar and His Love did with Joy (even i wasnt a fan of how alot of things during that time was carried out), essentially giving her an album of osts and a drama where she gets to show the songs and her vocals off. she's not the strongest vocalist, but she's good in her own right and has gotten better since these songs were recorded. Joy's version of 'The Way To Me' gave it completely different flavor from the original just from Joy's vocal tone and delivery alone. there's just something great about someone who can serve a good cover.

I remember Henry's ost from watching "While You Were Sleeping", but personally i preferred Suzy's "I Love You Boy". Henry's delivery and the song fit very well into the drama though!

Lee Juck's Don't Worry was a perfect fit into Reply 1988, it really got the aura of the drama and i enjoyed it there. unfortunately never finished Reply 1988 because i got busy just after i started watching.

i havent heard the other songs listed here, but i'll listen to them sometime soon
- Personally, my fave in Goblin OSTs is Hush but I can't deny how great I will go to you like the first snow is
- I actually didn't know it was Eunji in strong woman do bong soon at first but yeah she has great vocals
- taeyeon's song is subtle but still impactful
- I totally loved all of The Liar and His Lover's OSTs. made me an instant Joy fan
- I like both henry and Suzy's song
- Don't Worry was used ALL THE TIME in reply 1988 but it never felt old and I loved hearing it all the time
My favorite from here is definitely It's Love by Henry because it's one of my top OSTs ever! I also really love any OST that comes from DOTS!
yes DOTS OSTs are so good
you put If You, This Love and Only One in, I'm sure it'll be the best k-ost drama playlist :judgingyou:
i know The Best Hit isn't that popular, but its OST really good to listen to even one of the best track list I can say.
The Best Hit is so underrated. i wish many more people saw it. and yes all the OSTs there are hops.

Kłapouchy

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭526,859
Great recommendations. My favourites are It's You and I Will Go To You Like The First Snow, I didn't finish either "Goblin" or "While You Were Sleeping" but those two songs were on my heavy rotations for months.

P.S OP there's a typo in your title

sexy cutie

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
Great recommendations. My favourites are It's You and I Will Go To You Like The First Snow, I didn't finish either "Goblin" or "While You Were Sleeping" but those two songs were on my heavy rotations for months.

P.S OP there's a typo in your title
thanks :TzuyuKek: I actually noticed it the other day but I forgot to edit it

Top Bottom