NCT gif spammers

emma

nct ∞ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,257,658
No one asked but... I've been listening to nct a lot lately, and I've always been making bias lists but I wanted to see how I'd rank them based on their voices. So I did, and I thought I'd share. Keep in mind, this is entirely based on whose voice I find the most pleasing to my ears and whose voice pleasantly tends to surprise me the most. It is not based on talent, I'm not musically inclined enough to know who has best techniques or anything like that.

127: Mark > Taeyong > Taeil > Doyoung > Haechan > Jaehyun > Johnny > Yuta > Jungwoo

some notes:
(For "best of", I'm only going to include group songs and not solos to make it more fair)

Mark, to me, fits 127 concept more than Dream. He is almost always in the top 2 of my rating of who stood out the most in a 127 comeback, and almost never for Dream. Taeyong tends to rank even higher than him (for me) in those rankings, but voice wise Mark is more consistent and for 127 I can't think of a single time that I thought "Eh, Mark's verse didn't really suit him". Neither do I think that for his parts in Dream, but I don't feel Mark's loss as heavily as I do Haechan's when Dream perform without those two. Overall Mark probably has the best voice in whole of NCT to me in terms of versatility, consistency and tone.

best of Mark:

Taeyong, on the other hand. He is a chameleon. His performance and charisma never fails to let me down but his voice doesn't always suit the parts he gets. Sometimes they get it so, so right. Like Taeyong single-handledly carries Limitless for me. But sometimes, they don't. Make a Wish being one example of a song where I, surprisingly, wish there was less of Taeyong. Especially in the chorus. His solo work is superb, and he knows his voice, but sometimes it feels like SM doesn't.

best of Taeyong:

Taeil is just amazing, his tone is immaculate. But the thing about Taeil is that he's so good that he doesn't surprise me. I always know what to expect from Taeil and is he just that good that I can't even notice when he improves? Or does he just play it too safe for me? I don't know, but it kinda works against him in a way because it doesn't make him stand out. Renjun stood out in the new Dream album, Doyoung did so in the newest 127 album. I just... kinda expect something even more from Taeil.

best of Taeil:

Then there's Doyoung. I'm going to try to remain unbiased, but I've noticed major improvements since he did his musical. I think he learned some new techniques, learned more about his voice and I can't remember the last time I was as impressed by Doyoung as I was after hearing the newest album.

best of Doyoung:

Haechan's tone is unique. My pick for his best of is maybe not his best work vocally, but it's when his voice surprised me the most and made me go "Wow, is there nothing this kid can't do?" Listening to Dream do Ridin' without Haechan feels wrong, cause no one can pulls those parts like he does. The way he goes from the low note to his regular singing and then on to do high notes, there's so many things he did in this song and he did them flawlessly.

best of Haechan:

Jaehyun, when he surprises me, I'm floored. His tone overall is very middle of the scale for me, but when he gets a part that really suits his voice or he does something different, he has the biggest shock factor.

best of Jaehyun:

Johnny is the biggest underdog, and I feel like he has the most potential. He's improving constantly and getting more lines, and I feel like they finally know what to do with him. I'm really looking forward to when Johnny blows me away, because I feel like it's only a matter of time.

For now, Johnny's best of:

Yuta is good, but has not wowed me with his voice so I don't have a "best of" for him

Jungwoo's tone doesn't tend to appeal to me, so the same applies

I'm going to post Dream separately.
yXHKIkH.gif

emma

nct ∞ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,257,658
Dream: Chenle > Haechan > Renjun > Jeno > Jisung > Mark/Jaemin

some notes:

I will never shut up about how much I love Chenle's tone. It's just so pretty and Dream tracks suit it so well. I sat here for like an hour trying to think of Chenle's best of, and I'm still not sure of my choice. I love how much his voice stood out to me in Dream's older work, but I feel like I'd be doing him a disservice by picking something like "La La Love" or "Dunk Shot".

I also feel like he's more playful with his voice than Taeil, and tries different things. If it was based on voice only, Chenle would probably be my pick for "who owned each era" for all Dream comebacks.

Chenle's best of:

Renjun is consistent, but much like Taeil, usually doesn't stand out to me. That all changed in the newest album. I was so blown away by his voice, in several tracks. What did they feed this kid to make him so good? My "best of" choice for him is, again, maybe not his best vocally but a time that his voice managed to wow me and was by far my favorite part of the song as well. Special mention for being the only saving grace of Hot Sauce, along with Chenle. Still doesn't save the song, but props for the effort.

Renjun's best of:

Jeno's voice is SO UNDERRATED. I know he's had to live in Mark's shadow since forever, but Jeno is so much better than he gets credit for. He's very versatile, he has an excellent flow, and he even shines when he has to do Mark's parts when Mark's not there. Which is not an easy thing to do, because Mark is so good.

Jeno's best of:

Jisung keeps surprising me. He keeps constantly improving and his voice is just so interesting and works so well where I don't expect it to. I want more of him, honestly.

best of Jisung:

Jaemin is like Mark in that I don't feel like his voice gets the justice it deserves in Dream tracks. My pick for best of Jaemin isn't even a Dream track. And the two times that I've been the most impressed with Jaemin's voice, both of those songs are out of the norm for Dream ("Go" and "Ridin"). I feel like Jaemin would rank higher with different type of songs.

Best of Jaemin (Jaemin deserved more in this song, fight me):

I don't listen to WayV so I can't do a ranking of them.
OKay, that was fun and managed to keep me entertained for a bit. Now I'm out
mtpLEwL.gif

Last edited:

Bellamy

I'm your worst nightmare〰 VIP+ Early Supporters Second Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭36,990,664
Pronouns
She/Her
No one asked but... I've been listening to nct a lot lately, and I've always been making bias lists but I wanted to see how I'd rank them based on their voices. So I did, and I thought I'd share. Keep in mind, this is entirely based on whose voice I find the most pleasing to my ears and whose voice pleasantly tends to surprise me the most. It is not based on talent, I'm not musically inclined enough to know who has best techniques or anything like that.

127: Mark > Taeyong > Taeil > Doyoung > Haechan > Jaehyun > Johnny > Yuta > Jungwoo

some notes:
(For "best of", I'm only going to include group songs and not solos to make it more fair)

Mark, to me, fits 127 concept more than Dream. He is almost always in the top 2 of my rating of who stood out the most in a 127 comeback, and almost never for Dream. Taeyong tends to rank even higher than him (for me) in those rankings, but voice wise Mark is more consistent and for 127 I can't think of a single time that I thought "Eh, Mark's verse didn't really suit him". Neither do I think that for his parts in Dream, but I don't feel Mark's loss as heavily as I do Haechan's when Dream perform without those two. Overall Mark probably has the best voice in whole of NCT to me in terms of versatility, consistency and tone.

best of Mark:

Taeyong, on the other hand. He is a chameleon. His performance and charisma never fails to let me down but his voice doesn't always suit the parts he gets. Sometimes they get it so, so right. Like Taeyong single-handledly carries Limitless for me. But sometimes, they don't. Make a Wish being one example of a song where I, surprisingly, wish there was less of Taeyong. Especially in the chorus. His solo work is superb, and he knows his voice, but sometimes it feels like SM doesn't.

best of Taeyong:

Taeil is just amazing, his tone is immaculate. But the thing about Taeil is that he's so good that he doesn't surprise me. I always know what to expect from Taeil and is he just that good that I can't even notice when he improves? Or does he just play it too safe for me? I don't know, but it kinda works against him in a way because it doesn't make him stand out. Renjun stood out in the new Dream album, Doyoung did so in the newest 127 album. I just... kinda expect something even more from Taeil.

best of Taeil:

Then there's Doyoung. I'm going to try to remain unbiased, but I've noticed major improvements since he did his musical. I think he learned some new techniques, learned more about his voice and I can't remember the last time I was as impressed by Doyoung as I was after hearing the newest album.

best of Doyoung:

Haechan's tone is unique. My pick for his best of is maybe not his best work vocally, but it's when his voice surprised me the most and made me go "Wow, is there nothing this kid can't do?" Listening to Dream do Ridin' without Haechan feels wrong, cause no one can pulls those parts like he does. The way he goes from the low note to his regular singing and then on to do high notes, there's so many things he did in this song and he did them flawlessly.

best of Haechan:

Jaehyun, when he surprises me, I'm floored. His tone overall is very middle of the scale for me, but when he gets a part that really suits his voice or he does something different, he has the biggest shock factor.

best of Jaehyun:

Johnny is the biggest underdog, and I feel like he has the most potential. He's improving constantly and getting more lines, and I feel like they finally know what to do with him. I'm really looking forward to when Johnny blows me away, because I feel like it's only a matter of time.

For now, Johnny's best of:

Yuta is good, but has not wowed me with his voice so I don't have a "best of" for him

Jungwoo's tone doesn't tend to appeal to me, so the same applies

I'm going to post Dream separately.
yXHKIkH.gif

I share your thoughts about Mark, Taeyong, Haechan, Johnny and kind of about Taeil.
+ I understand why you put those songs as their bests
I don't have a ranking but my fav voice in 127 (and U) is still Doyoung (i don't know why, but i'm always waiting for his parts). His musical voice gave me the chills...i really like it!!!
My least fav voice is Jaehyun, i can't explain why...but i do like his lower tone.

e99100fb4a94ff30aab6ab7f527274c60e083872.gifv

Bellamy

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭36,990,664
Pronouns
She/Her
Dream: Chenle > Haechan > Renjun > Jeno > Jisung > Mark/Jaemin

some notes:

I will never shut up about how much I love Chenle's tone. It's just so pretty and Dream tracks suit it so well. I sat here for like an hour trying to think of Chenle's best of, and I'm still not sure of my choice. I love how much his voice stood out to me in Dream's older work, but I feel like I'd be doing him a disservice by picking something like "La La Love" or "Dunk Shot".

I also feel like he's more playful with his voice than Taeil, and tries different things. If it was based on voice only, Chenle would probably be my pick for "who owned each era" for all Dream comebacks.

Chenle's best of:

Renjun is consistent, but much like Taeil, usually doesn't stand out to me. That all changed in the newest album. I was so blown away by his voice, in several tracks. What did they feed this kid to make him so good? My "best of" choice for him is, again, maybe not his best vocally but a time that his voice managed to wow me and was by far my favorite part of the song as well. Special mention for being the only saving grace of Hot Sauce, along with Chenle. Still doesn't save the song, but props for the effort.

Renjun's best of:

Jeno's voice is SO UNDERRATED. I know he's had to live in Mark's shadow since forever, but Jeno is so much better than he gets credit for. He's very versatile, he has an excellent flow, and he even shines when he has to do Mark's parts when Mark's not there. Which is not an easy thing to do, because Mark is so good.

Jeno's best of:

Jisung keeps surprising me. He keeps constantly improving and his voice is just so interesting and works so well where I don't expect it to. I want more of him, honestly.

best of Jisung:

Jaemin is like Mark in that I don't feel like his voice gets the justice it deserves in Dream tracks. My pick for best of Jaemin isn't even a Dream track. And the two times that I've been the most impressed with Jaemin's voice, both of those songs are out of the norm for Dream ("Go" and "Ridin"). I feel like Jaemin would rank higher with different type of songs.

Best of Jaemin (Jaemin deserved more in this song, fight me):

I don't listen to WayV so I can't do a ranking of them.
OKay, that was fun and managed to keep me entertained for a bit. Now I'm out
mtpLEwL.gif

My bias in Dream is Jaemin but my fav voice is Chenle too.
Surprisingly, i agree with everything you said.

The latest 5Dream performance made me feel proud!!!! NCT Dream as a subunit is so well-balanced, that you can barely feel the absence of a missing member.
They all did well, but without a doubt Chenle shined brighter and I'm glad that fans are recognizing his voice more. (Singing Haechan's high note and then his high note...i almost scream from happiness.

Jaemin, truly surprised me covering that Mark rap during the bridge of Hello Future:whaaat:

I LOVE 7Dreamies, but when Mark and Haechan (especially Mark) aren't present, the rest have more opportunities to improve...so I hope that now that Dream is rotational, SM will make OT5 promotions when Mark and Haechan are touring with 127.

20cb0b30c3aa90670c2eb6238bfb7452b9e7492c.gifv

emma

nct ∞ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,257,658
I share your thoughts about Mark, Taeyong, Haechan, Johnny and kind of about Taeil.
+ I understand why you put those songs as their bests
I don't have a ranking but my fav voice in 127 (and U) is still Doyoung (i don't know why, but i'm always waiting for his parts). His musical voice gave me the chills...i really like it!!!
My least fav voice is Jaehyun, i can't explain why...but i do like his lower tone.

e99100fb4a94ff30aab6ab7f527274c60e083872.gifv
The way you feel about Jaehyun is the way I feel about Jungwoo. And there doesn't even necessarily need to be an explanation, I feel, it's just a matter of taste. And that should be okay.
My bias in Dream is Jaemin but my fav voice is Chenle too.
Surprisingly, i agree with everything you said.

The latest 5Dream performance made me feel proud!!!! NCT Dream as a subunit is so well-balanced, that you can barely feel the absence of a missing member.
They all did well, but without a doubt Chenle shined brighter and I'm glad that fans are recognizing his voice more. (Singing Haechan's high note and then his high note...i almost scream from happiness.

Jaemin, truly surprised me covering that Mark rap during the bridge of Hello Future:whaaat:

I LOVE 7Dreamies, but when Mark and Haechan (especially Mark) aren't present, the rest have more opportunities to improve...so I hope that now that Dream is rotational, SM will make OT5 promotions when Mark and Haechan are touring with 127.

20cb0b30c3aa90670c2eb6238bfb7452b9e7492c.gifv
I was pondering how to explain why Mark is last to me on the Dreamies list despite being my favorite voice overall, but that last line is part of the reason.

If you are a hardcore "Dream is 7" stan, you might not like what I'm about to say so Imma spoiler cut this and read at your own risk.
It sucks to say, but Jeno and Jisung especially benefited from Mark not being there. Jaemin also gets Mark's lines, but as I said, to me his voice doesn't always tend to fit Dream songs as well as the other two.
It's interesting to watch OT7 version of Ridin' cause it's not often that I feel like Mark doesn't improve the song. I don't think the line distribution would have been what it is in this version if Mark had been there to record the song when it came out. I think he would have gotten parts that fit his voice better, so most likely Jeno's parts for this particular song. In this version he gets my favorite Haechan part, and Jaemin's "Talk talk" part. The latter which he pulls off fine.

and then there's Boom, the song which I picked for my Jeno's best of. He gets Jeno's and Jisung's parts here and my expectation for Mark is that I always expect him to be the best. I have that much confidence in his voice. But he doesn't improve the original, which is kinda my point. For 127 I don't ever think that Taeyong or Johnny could do Mark's parts because the title tracks especially suit his voice so well, but for Dream it's a different story. And I don't think it's even my original song bias, because I do think that Jisung and Jeno, and even Jaemin have pulled off Mark's parts. Which I very much don't think they'd be capable of doing in 127 songs. I don't think Mark ever sounds bad in Dream, his voice is the most versatile like I said, but to me he doesn't shine and he tends to overshadow those that have the potential to do so.

Just my 2 cents
65efdee3e68104c411cc3488bb500e0d0a625c52.gifv

Last edited:

Bellamy

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭36,990,664
Pronouns
She/Her
The way you feel about Jaehyun is the way I feel about Jungwoo. And there doesn't even necessarily need to be an explanation, I feel, it's just a matter of taste. And that should be okay.

I was pondering how to explain why Mark is last to me on the Dreamies list despite being my favorite voice overall, but that last line is part of the reason.

If you are a hardcore "Dream is 7" stan, you might not like what I'm about to say so Imma spoiler cut this and read at your own risk.
It sucks to say, but Jeno and Jisung especially benefited from Mark not being there. Jaemin also gets Mark's lines, but as I said, to me his voice doesn't always tend to fit Dream songs as well as the other two.
It's interesting to watch OT7 version of Ridin' cause it's not often that I feel like Mark doesn't improve the song. I don't think the line distribution would have been what it is in this version if Mark had been there to record the song when it came out. I think he would have gotten parts that fit his voice better, so most likely Jeno's parts for this particular song. In this version he gets my favorite Haechan part, and Jaemin's "Talk talk" part. The latter which he pulls off fine.

and then there's Boom, the song which I picked for my Jeno's best of. He gets Jeno's and Jisung's parts here and my expectation for Mark is that I always expect him to be the best. I have that much confidence in his voice. But he doesn't improve the original, which is kinda my point. For 127 I don't ever think that Taeyong or Johnny could do Mark's parts because the title tracks especially suit his voice so well, but for Dream it's a different story. And I don't think it's even my original song bias, because I do think that Jisung and Jeno, and even Jaemin have pulled off Mark's parts. Which I very much don't think they'd be capable of doing in 127 songs. I don't think Mark ever sounds bad in Dream, his voice is the most versatile like I said, but to me he doesn't shine and he tends to overshadow those that have the potential to do so.

Just my 2 cents
65efdee3e68104c411cc3488bb500e0d0a625c52.gifv

You explained it better than me :TzuyuKek:

I agree so much about Mark-Jeno-Jisung-Jaemin. Even as a Jaemin biased, i understand what you think about his voice not fitting Dream (i don't like his raps in Dream songs). The only reason SM included Mark in BOOM and Ridin' was for those dreamzens that were sad about the graduation/OT6 promotions. I think we all know that 6Dream songs are perfect like that.
The truth needs to be told: Jisung and Jeno NEED Mark out of Dream, to have not only lines but center parts for dancing. Mark is really good in everything he does+he has a lot of experience for being in different groups, so i couldn't even fight when he was the center during Hot Sauce dance break when Jisung is the main dancer because Mark is a terrific dancer!!!!
I think it was last year, that Sexy joked about me being a Mark "hater" because i complained during NCT 2020. :TzuyuKek:

The vocal line is a different story: for example, in the Hot Sauce album, Chenle and Renjun shined a lot even with Haechan slaying here and there.
5Dream can work just fine, they just need fitting songs (especially for Jaemin, SM is acting like he is just a center+visual...)....they don't need to wait for Haechan and Mark.
If the rumor about the new subunit is true (with Jeno, Jaemin and Jisung)...i will be anticipating that too...a new group dinamic can lead to more development.

7b7fdb348615f0d3faba03c0c3aacf182245ef1f.gifv

Bellamy

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭36,990,664
Pronouns
She/Her
So the repackage is called Favorite...and the song will be "public friendly"?

004b6a80493284199d0cd9dd73c24319f9d37c6b.gifv

Top Bottom