What are anime/manga tropes you are tired of?

Chomiczewska

Hamster First Place HoE Chomi
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭25,595,999
For me it's characters in their late 20's/30's calling themselves middle aged. In the past year or so I have encountered this many times reading manga and I just can't understand how did that even become a thing. If they were called that by someone younger then them it would at least make sense, since younger people might see them as such, but what people in that age range ever seriously think of themselves as middle aged? It's ridiculous.

Bellamy

Be strong, be brave〰 VIP+ Early Supporters Second Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭31,316,314
Pronouns
She/Her
Shounen:
The never-ending flashbacks in the middle of an important fight.
The normalization of sexual harassment because it's funny (sarcasm!).
Shoujo:
When a full adult falls in love with a teenager because apparently, the relationships with same-age people don't work.
When the stepbrother/stepsister is one of the MC's love interests.
When the second male/female lead doesn't understand that MC isn't going to fall in love with them.
when it comes to shoujo manga: male mc who treats the female mc like shit, boring love triangles, annoying childhood friend who's suddenly a love interest
THIS X1000!

Last edited:

Stan BiSH

Global Star Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,546,375
when it comes to shoujo manga: male mc who treats the female mc like shit, boring love triangles, annoying childhood friend who's suddenly a love interest
i'm not a super big fan of shoujo / romance shonen Manga but i read a few and i definitely agree with you

personally what i dislike the most is how the main characters are always the blandest people ever and everyone else is so one dimensional

that's why my favorite romance manga is Taiyou no ie (house of the sun) the main character Mao is probably the best depiction of a teenager I've seen in any manga, also the other characters, for example the main love interest, actually behave as normal people, having with their own lives, their own arcs, not being psychos, etc

the first time i read it i was around the age of the main character Mao and recently i re read the manga while being around the age of Hiro and honestly i'm surprised how i still love the story so much but also have a different perception of it, really cool manga and definitely worth checking

6395b63334d103b8acd15f06d43bad9046b1e261v2_hq.jpg

Last edited:

Stan BiSH

Global Star Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,546,375
i dislike the messiah-like MCs that are "the chosen one that came to save the world", for example i liked Naruto a lot until he became the ninja version of Jesus

also i dislike how most manga has to have forced pairings between the characters, in many cases the main character and his rival have more chemistry than the actual love interest, maybe that's why i Luffy so much, he legitimately doesn't gives a shit about love and only wants to have fun with his friends

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭347,450
Main character having amnesia or no memory, or being an orphan
Villain's redemption being too well accepted sometimes, and becoming best friend and best man at the main character's wedding, back to a normal life like nothing happened
Boy who can't read a girl who's in love with him and who gave every explicit signals possible. And the girl never tryuing to say directly she loves him

kimsguardian

🄳🄾🄾🅁🚪 Sixth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,332,820
Pronouns
He/Him
Main character having amnesia or no memory, or being an orphan
Villain's redemption being too well accepted sometimes, and becoming best friend and best man at the main character's wedding, back to a normal life like nothing happened
Boy who can't read a girl who's in love with him and who gave every explicit signals possible. And the girl never tryuing to say directly she loves him
uzumaki naruto!! :pandafrozen:

Chiharu

The Worst Girl in the World Events VIP+ Tenth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,055,082
Shounen:
The never-ending flashbacks in the middle of an important fight.
The normalization of sexual harassment because it's funny (sarcasm!).
Shoujo:
When a full adult falls in love with a teenager because apparently, the relationships with same-age people don't work.
When the second male/female lead doesn't understand that MC isn't going to fall in love with them.
All of this!! Also for Shoujos, very tired of female chars who exist just to be a bitch and a rival to the FL.

And this doesn't exactly fit with the thread question, but I follow r/manga on reddit, and I am so tired of all the oneshots 4-koma manga that follow the exact same plot of ML was childhood friends with boy, moves away, comes back years later, discovers boy is actually a girl who now has huge boobs and is horny for her. Like, pls...At least copy Tomo-chan and have the ML struggle to view the FL as a girl at first and not realize he's in love with her

Bellamy

Be strong, be brave〰 VIP+ Early Supporters Second Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭31,316,314
Pronouns
She/Her

Vampire

IDLE TRANSFIGURATION Community Manager Moderator VIP+ Ninth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭151,617
For me it's characters in their late 20's/30's calling themselves middle aged. In the past year or so I have encountered this many times reading manga and I just can't understand how did that even become a thing. If they were called that by someone younger then them it would at least make sense, since younger people might see them as such, but what people in that age range ever seriously think of themselves as middle aged? It's ridiculous.
Boy, you're lucky! I've had several friends over the years that won't STFU about being "old" whenever a conversation of their age comes into play, and none of them are older than 30. I used to think it was them exaggerating for laughs, but I don't believe that to be the case anymore. I have a cousin, who when she turned 32 a couple of years ago, spent the entire phone call in a miserable fashion with me and basically rejected any of my well wishes and etc. because if she dies at 60-70 then half of her life is over, it sucks, etc. It was so uncomfortable, and I was barely an adult myself—I hated hearing all that.

BACK ON TOPIC
I'm so done with almost everything related to isekai right now... :marge: The industry has been tripping over itself to give them to us over the last few years especially, but I'm ready to move on!!

Chomiczewska

Hamster First Place HoE Chomi
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭25,595,999
Not blood related stepsiblings are still better than blood related ones ... :teehee:

Boy, you're lucky! I've had several friends over the years that won't STFU about being "old" whenever a conversation of their age comes into play, and none of them are older than 30. I used to think it was them exaggerating for laughs, but I don't believe that to be the case anymore. I have a cousin, who when she turned 32 a couple of years ago, spent the entire phone call in a miserable fashion with me and basically rejected any of my well wishes and etc. because if she dies at 60-70 then half of her life is over, it sucks, etc. It was so uncomfortable, and I was barely an adult myself—I hated hearing all that.
I am not saying I'd give her a bunch of retirement homes flyers for her next birthday, but I'd definitely consider:magicpar:

Top Bottom