What is your skin care routine ?

JoYi

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,000
I’d like to ask, what is your skin care routine ?
How did you chose it ?, do you think it’s necessary to visit a dermatologist first before applying the skincare brands you wanna try?

JoYi

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,000
I should be the one asking how you guys even do "skincare" :viva: :viva: my poor skin TT
This is why i wanted to open this kinda thread, we can discuss about this :wow:

Though, every skin is different and therefore my guess would be trying out products one by one and not all together, to slowly discover whether allergic or not. I’m not sure if a skincare routine selection require a professional dermatologist’s involvement or just a do it alone thing. :sip:

choively

Sanake slave Seventh Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭7,642,892
Pronouns
Hwaiting!
This is why i wanted to open this kinda thread, we can discuss about this :wow:

Though, every skin is different and therefore my guess would be trying out products one by one and not all together, to slowly discover whether allergic or not. I’m not sure if a skincare routine selection require a professional dermatologist’s involvement or just a do it alone thing. :sip:
I think using high products like aloe masking/lotion will solve everything :heartublob: *my way of thinking*

Vampire

IDLE TRANSFIGURATION Community Manager Moderator VIP+ Ninth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭148,567
I’d like to ask, what is your skin care routine ?
my skincare routine is just neutrogena's ultra gentle daily cleanser for sensitive skin, and then a light coating of vaseline advanced repair body lotion because the face cream i was using discontinued last year. i was going to try and find a replacement, but honestly? the body lotion has been working out fine, so i may not bother with that anymore. i've been told my complexion is good and youthful. my acne isn't that bad either, i only really break out when i'm about to start my period.

How did you chose it ?
i used to use multiple products as part of my routine because i was just blindly following what my mom used to do. later on, there happened to be a beautician in target and we made conversation. my problem was that i felt my skin was very oily, but after i would clean it, it would feel very dry and even burn at times. she basically told me to cut out most of what i was doing as i was "nuking" my face lol and stick to something more simple. she didn't pick out the products i use now, but her advice is why i'm using them today. in retrospect, i could have easily googled what i was feeling and found it out myself, but you know how it is sometimes.

do you think it’s necessary to visit a dermatologist first before applying the skincare brands you wanna try?
if your skin condition isn't severe, i don't think it's necessary. try one product at a time, and you're probably okay.

Bellamy

Be strong, be brave〰 VIP+ Early Supporters Second Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭31,232,814
Pronouns
She/Her
It's incomplete but:
Neutrogena Oil-Free Clear Wash Pink Grapefruit.
La Roche Posay Effaclar Ultra Concentrated Serum
Facial sunscreen Nivea Sun Control

JoYi

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,000
I think using high products like aloe masking/lotion will solve everything :heartublob: *my way of thinking*

I have tried this, i used only aloe Vera product (pure 98%) , the results aren’t that bad, but the only thing that it helped was cleansing for some reason, so i think i might try out other products like oil based cleansers or serums

my skincare routine is just neutrogena's ultra gentle daily cleanser for sensitive skin, and then a light coating of vaseline advanced repair body lotion because the face cream i was using discontinued last year. i was going to try and find a replacement, but honestly? the body lotion has been working out fine, so i may not bother with that anymore. i've been told my complexion is good and youthful. my acne isn't that bad either, i only really break out when i'm about to start my period.

i used to use multiple products as part of my routine because i was just blindly following what my mom used to do. later on, there happened to be a beautician in target and we made conversation. my problem was that i felt my skin was very oily, but after i would clean it, it would feel very dry and even burn at times. she basically told me to cut out most of what i was doing as i was "nuking" my face lol and stick to something more simple. she didn't pick out the products i use now, but her advice is why i'm using them today. in retrospect, i could have easily googled what i was feeling and found it out myself, but you know how it is sometimes.

if your skin condition isn't severe, i don't think it's necessary. try one product at a time, and you're probably okay.

This sounds so cool tbh :wow: it’s very simple and I’m sure your skin looks soft because of the Vaseline
I want to use cleansers too, i want to use an oil based one, do you have any brand suggestions ?

JoYi

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,000
It's incomplete but:
Neutrogena Oil-Free Clear Wash Pink Grapefruit.
La Roche Posay Effaclar Ultra Concentrated Serum
Facial sunscreen Nivea Sun Control
This got me thinking wether it’d be best to use an oil based cleanser or an oil free one, i dunno what’s the difference in the results

RussianRoulette

Trainee User of the Month
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭938,150
Pronouns
She/Her
This got me thinking wether it’d be best to use an oil based cleanser or an oil free one, i dunno what’s the difference in the results
An oil based cleanser will give you a deeper clean and for the most part is only used at night to take off makeup and sunscreen from your face (hence the deeper clean).

An oil-free one would be good if you have oily skin since it will have more hydrating ingredients and is usually not comedogenic

Last edited:

Bellamy

Be strong, be brave〰 VIP+ Early Supporters Second Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭31,232,814
Pronouns
She/Her
You need to know your type of skin, that's why it's good to see a dermatologist first.

RussianRoulette

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭938,150
Pronouns
She/Her
I use to be an active beauty blogger for several years, and I also use to be a manager for "a makeup/beauty store" so skincare is something i'm passionate about and trained in. I apologize in advance for my reply being long. :sweat:

With all the free resources online, I don't really feel like seeing a dermatologist is necessary unless you have a specific skin concern like extreme acne or a dark spot that won't go away (bc with that you need to check for skin cancer).

Dermatologists are also extremely expensive, so I feel like they are more of a privilege and not a necessity?

I only saw a dermatologist for the first time about a month or two ago. I got really sick back in January and the medicine they gave me screwed me up quite a bit. Part of my reaction to it was that I got a rash on my face that wouldn't go away so I had to see the dermatologist to get the medical grade stuff.

My current skincare routine is:
- Prescription cleanser from the doctor
- Beauty of Joseon cleansing oil if i'm wearing makeup
- The Ordinary Niacinamide (this is my holy grail product that I can't live without. I swear the main reason I have perfect skin is because of this product.)
- Beauty of Joseon Eye Serum ( It doesn't really help with dark circles, but i'm hella insomniac and it helps a lot with fine lines whenever i'm lacking sleep!!!)
- La Roche-Posay Lipikar AP+ Triple Repair Moisturizing Cream because I hated the prescription moisturizer the dermatologist gave me. (I'm not happy about using La Roche Posay because they aren't cruelty free, but they are pretty much the only dermatologist approved and wallet friendly moisturizer so i'm using it until I get the ok to switch to something else.)
- Cerave Mineral Sunscreen I got for free from my old job. ( Mineral sunscreen is better for sensitive skin and doctor recommended.)

I usually like to use a toner and a spot treatment, but I cut that out for the time being. I also use these lululun anti-aging eye patches in the morning when I can, mostly because I get very paranoid about my under eye area due to my sleep deprivation. :sweat:

I also try to make sure i'm taking care of my skin internally as well. I take Biotin supplements and collagen supplements (bamboo based vegan ones), and I always down a green juice every day on top chugging my daily requirement of water so my skin won't be dehydrated.

JoYi

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,000
I use to be an active beauty blogger for several years, and I also use to be a manager for "a makeup/beauty store" so skincare is something i'm passionate about and trained in. I apologize in advance for my reply being long. :sweat:

With all the free resources online, I don't really feel like seeing a dermatologist is necessary unless you have a specific skin concern like extreme acne or a dark spot that won't go away (bc with that you need to check for skin cancer).

Dermatologists are also extremely expensive, so I feel like they are more of a privilege and not a necessity?

I only saw a dermatologist for the first time about a month or two ago. I got really sick back in January and the medicine they gave me screwed me up quite a bit. Part of my reaction to it was that I got a rash on my face that wouldn't go away so I had to see the dermatologist to get the medical grade stuff.

My current skincare routine is:
- Prescription cleanser from the doctor
- Beauty of Joseon cleansing oil if i'm wearing makeup
- The Ordinary Niacinamide (this is my holy grail product that I can't live without. I swear the main reason I have perfect skin is because of this product.)
- Beauty of Joseon Eye Serum ( It doesn't really help with dark circles, but i'm hella insomniac and it helps a lot with fine lines whenever i'm lacking sleep!!!)
- La Roche-Posay Lipikar AP+ Triple Repair Moisturizing Cream because I hated the prescription moisturizer the dermatologist gave me. (I'm not happy about using La Roche Posay because they aren't cruelty free, but they are pretty much the only dermatologist approved and wallet friendly moisturizer so i'm using it until I get the ok to switch to something else.)
- Cerave Mineral Sunscreen I got for free from my old job. ( Mineral sunscreen is better for sensitive skin and doctor recommended.)

I usually like to use a toner and a spot treatment, but I cut that out for the time being. I also use these lululun anti-aging eye patches in the morning when I can, mostly because I get very paranoid about my under eye area due to my sleep deprivation. :sweat:

I also try to make sure i'm taking care of my skin internally as well. I take Biotin supplements and collagen supplements (bamboo based vegan ones), and I always down a green juice every day on top chugging my daily requirement of water so my skin won't be dehydrated.

This is absolutely amazing, you are a pro at skin care!
I hope you get better soon and you can finally switch to the products you wanna use :shablob:

The BOJ oil cleanser is exactly what i want to use, i will check out the products you mentioned!

The ordinary products are so popular, it might be because the results were satisfying enough and worth giving a try

About CeraVe, my concerns about cruelty free is the same + I’d prefer vegan ingredients for my skin care but they use animal derived things sometimes, so i don’t want it.
At least they are honest about the fact they test on animals, some might also do but hide it :|

Anyway, i really want to use other products of BOJ like the glass skin duo, cream and serum, and the oil free green plants cleanser, their products seem to be good based on the reviews i should give them a try!

RussianRoulette

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭938,150
Pronouns
She/Her
This is absolutely amazing, you are a pro at skin care!
I hope you get better soon and you can finally switch to the products you wanna use :shablob:

The BOJ oil cleanser is exactly what i want to use, i will check out the products you mentioned!

The ordinary products are so popular, it might be because the results were satisfying enough and worth giving a try

About CeraVe, my concerns about cruelty free is the same + I’d prefer vegan ingredients for my skin care but they use animal derived things sometimes, so i don’t want it.
At least they are honest about the fact they test on animals, some might also do but hide it :|

Anyway, i really want to use other products of BOJ like the glass skin duo, cream and serum, and the oil free green plants cleanser, their products seem to be good based on the reviews i should give them a try!

I'm not too happy about having to use Cerave or La Rosche Posay right now either, i'm just kind of stuck since I don't think most dermatologists really care about if products are cruelty free or not :wae:

My favorite sunscreens are the innisfree one (my ride or die, no white cast!!) and the Mad Hippie one (it's kind of expensive so I haven't rebought this one in awhile. It kind of leaves a cast but it's gentle on my sensitive skin!)

I love The Ordinary's Niacinamide, though for some reason some people are sensitive so it so the alternative we've always recommended was the Good Molecules one, it's vegan (I think most of the brand is?) so you might like it better!

I'm not sure if they are vegan, but if you ever want a cruelty free dupe/equivalent of La Rosche Posay or CeraVe I recommend the korean brand Pyunkang Yul! Their stuff is very basic and good for sensitive skin and I honestly feel like a lot of their stuff is the same as the other 2 brands (i'm probably switching back to them once my LRP moisturizer runs out tbh).

The Korean brand Purito is also really good as well and they are cruelty free and have some vegan products! I worked with them once when I was still active in blogging and they were just starting out as a brand so they're a company I love and trust a lot and really recommend.

JoYi

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,000
I'm not too happy about having to use Cerave or La Rosche Posay right now either, i'm just kind of stuck since I don't think most dermatologists really care about if products are cruelty free or not :wae:

My favorite sunscreens are the innisfree one (my ride or die, no white cast!!) and the Mad Hippie one (it's kind of expensive so I haven't rebought this one in awhile. It kind of leaves a cast but it's gentle on my sensitive skin!)

I love The Ordinary's Niacinamide, though for some reason some people are sensitive so it so the alternative we've always recommended was the Good Molecules one, it's vegan (I think most of the brand is?) so you might like it better!

I'm not sure if they are vegan, but if you ever want a cruelty free dupe/equivalent of La Rosche Posay or CeraVe I recommend the korean brand Pyunkang Yul! Their stuff is very basic and good for sensitive skin and I honestly feel like a lot of their stuff is the same as the other 2 brands (i'm probably switching back to them once my LRP moisturizer runs out tbh).

The Korean brand Purito is also really good as well and they are cruelty free and have some vegan products! I worked with them once when I was still active in blogging and they were just starting out as a brand so they're a company I love and trust a lot and really recommend.
Thank you so much every thing you said is so helpful to me, I’m a newbie to this :wow:

Top Bottom