What's going on with girl group comebacks lately?

RussianRoulette

Taemin’s Wife Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,911,500
Pronouns
She/Her
This was a discussion I saw going around twitter.

People have been pointing out how many girl group comebacks just haven't been doing well lately for some odd reason?

Ive: Accendio and Heya have been doing well but just isn't doing as good as previous comebacks.

New Jeans: All of their latest songs have been flopping HARD. Many people are debating whether they're flopping cause Hybe is mad at them or if people are just simply getting tired of all their songs having the same sound. Many people also had no idea Supernatural was even a Japanese debut.

Red Velvet: Cosmic is well received, but hasn't won at an award show yet. I personally think it's a bit too early to say whether this comeback isn't doing that well?

Stayc: A lot of people are calling their comeback a flop since it's not doing well, though like Red Velvet, i think it's a bit too early to make a call since it literally just dropped.

Aespa: Their comeback was very successful, nothing to say here.

Kiss Of Life: Their comeback is getting critisism for being "too sexual", but overall I think it's well received? No idea if it's charting, or if they are even worried about charting since it's just a digital single.

Everglow: Their comeback was very highly anticipated but sort of got crickets everyone...

Sunmi: Her comeback kind of flopped (though but I know some people are boycotting her right now).

Gidle's comeback is soon and I think their comeback will determine whether there's a "flop era" going around in girl group's right now, but what do you guys think is going on?

Do you think people are just getting kinda tired of the girl group sound right now and are looking for something new?

Personally that's what I kinda think what's going on is: Similar to how 2nd gen was full of sexy-style groups or that bubbly "christian horse girl" type of kpop sound and then 3rd gen started a new wave with "girlcrush", I think we're hitting that turning point where people want something new right now. That "soft girl" music , like New Jeans or Illit, has been the big thing right now but it's sort of getting oversaturated, that's why groups like Aespa or Kiss Of Life have been popular.

I feel like we really need is G-idle or NMixx to drop some summer bops right now. :sip:

heather

your heart's not broken, it's only growing Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,589,770
Pronouns
She/Her
I feel like for IVE the timing wasn't the best :omgwhat:

Not to say it was the only factor.

Last edited:

Seriously

Pretty 💜 Psycho Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭80,600
Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention, but a lot of the newer GGs have just melded into one for me. Mayhaps other folks also think it's all gotten a little "samey".

Everglow was a huge disappointment, for a group usually known for going BIG, Zombie was super boring for a return from hiatus.

Dreamcatcher will save me, they always drag me from a kpop slump.
:heartublob::darkkermit::darkkermit::darkkermit::darkkermit::darkkermit::darkkermit::darkkermit:

choively

Sanake slave Seventh Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭9,020,142
Pronouns
Nevies Nevies
I feel nothing ! all I know gg's song are so of way better than bg's :omgwhat: (my taste, not realistically tho)

have people even check out stayc besides though ? :NayeonDisgust: All I know Chaeyeon released a good song called "Don't" make sure to check that out ^^

Last edited:

hatmixx

Ain't Nobody Fifth Place HoE VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭250,450
Pronouns
No Sana No Life
Typically i just enjoy kpop as i please so i dont really notice things are flopping til i am told they are XD

Gidle's song seems to be super summery. maybe people are just looking for something like that? Taeyeon is also coming back so...that will be a good test if GGs are not doing well.

Everglow and Sunmi delivered for me. IMO the 2 of the best songs of the year. :CupPar:

heather

your heart's not broken, it's only growing Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,589,770
Pronouns
She/Her
I feel nothing ! all I know gg's song are so of way better than bg's :omgwhat: (my taste, not realistically tho)

have people even check out stayc besides though ? :NayeonDisgust: All I know Chaeyeon released a good song called "Don't" make sure to check that out ^^
I cannot stress how hard I've been of a BG stan until the recent wave - you are absolutely correct :wootonew:

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭605,050
I think it's mostly fans been tired, too much comebacks, too much songs. Maybe tired of trying to copy the NJ formula and vibe with short songs and "soft" sound

IVE, Aespa and NewJeans
songs are still charting high on Melon.

Red Velvet's Cosmic is way lower but still in top 100, but we are talking about a 10 yo GG so it's still impressive to see them at this level

Kiss of Life
's Sticky is in top 40, so it's doing well even if it's not as good as Midas Touch.

Even tripleS' Girls Never Die is still charting in top 100

Babymonster's Sheesh is top 30 despite the mixed reactions, it's the Big 4 brand power

Sunmi, Eunbi, Everglow and STAYC failed sadly

We'll see for upcoming GGs : IDLE, fromis, LS, etc.

I can at least find some songs I like from the title tracks and especially from the b-sides

Seriously

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭80,600
I didn't deserve to see it this way :wootonew: I am WELL hydrated these days.
Love that for you
95119efd2da83e117436b75ca2a4ffea.gif

frostpuddle

Global Star Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭20,813
I wish my faves can "flop" as hard as New Jeans 🤩

Maybe the kpop bubble burst and casual listeners went back to their English (or other native language) songs. I'm a long time kpop listener, and even I feel Kpop is getting more boring

Master Of Species

💮Flower Knight💮 Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,069,275
Is not girl groups, it's the kpop in general. People are starting to moving on from the hallyu, only the hardcore fans still here. Kpop had become bland, some groups lost their touch and there's literally a hundred of new groups no one is interested in. It's quantity over quality.

RussianRoulette

Taemin’s Wife Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,911,500
Pronouns
She/Her
Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention, but a lot of the newer GGs have just melded into one for me. Mayhaps other folks also think it's all gotten a little "samey".

I think it's mostly fans been tired, too much comebacks, too much songs. Maybe tired of trying to copy the NJ formula and vibe with short songs and "soft" sound
:wendythistbh:
I think this is the exact problem lately. Everything sounds the same and just blends together.

This is also why I think Kiss Of Life and also LSF to an extent have been doing well. They’re two of the only new GG’s who aren’t following the soft girl new jeans vibe.

I low-key think we’ll be having a new style wave introduced into kpop soon (at least for GG’s). I think girl crush is kinda over? And this soft girl vibe is getting boring.

I’m low-key predicting that the new style wave might be “sexier” concepts like KOL or LSF’s smart. The past repeats itself and 2nd gen was cutesy vs sexy, so I’m wondering if 5th gen will be similar.

Seriously

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭80,600
I’m low-key predicting that the new style wave might be “sexier” concepts like KOL or LSF’s smart. The past repeats itself and 2nd gen was cutesy vs sexy, so I’m wondering if 5th gen will be similar.
They're gunna need to start debuting some older girls then, I don't need the current trend of groups full of kids doing that shit.
fbi-fbiopenup.gif

RussianRoulette

Taemin’s Wife Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,911,500
Pronouns
She/Her
They're gunna need to start debuting some older girls then, I don't need the current trend of groups full of kids doing that shit.
fbi-fbiopenup.gif
I’m really hoping the new laws will try to fix this problem, there really isn’t any reason at all why companies can’t wait till someone is 18 and graduated from highschool at the very least to debut an idol.

Big ocean is all over 18, KOL debuted all over 18 (albeit just barely for their maknae) and Bad Villan’s all over 18 as well. This needs to become the new norm.

Ddeona Oneul Bame

#FREE THE BOYS Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,678,100
Pronouns
#FREE THE BOYS
The only girl groups I really listen to (that are somewhat remotely active currently) are Black Swan, Aespa, Red Velvet, and Babymonster. Babymonster seems like they've been doing relatively well so far, though I don't think they've gotten any music show wins. But I don't think they're flopping.

Anyway, I just think we're in a boy group kind of era, at least in my perspective. I'm not really into K-POP twitter like that, but whenever I am, I'm usually seeing people talk about NCT, Stray Kids, ENHYPHEN, ATEEZ, ZB1, TXT, etc. Frankly, I think most of these groups have fans that don't even care that much about their music, but because they enjoy the group so much, they're more inclined to support their releases. IDK if it's just me, I don't see that for too many GGs.

RussianRoulette

Taemin’s Wife Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,911,500
Pronouns
She/Her
The only girl groups I really listen to (that are somewhat remotely active currently) are Black Swan, Aespa, Red Velvet, and Babymonster. Babymonster seems like they've been doing relatively well so far, though I don't think they've gotten any music show wins. But I don't think they're flopping.

Anyway, I just think we're in a boy group kind of era, at least in my perspective. I'm not really into K-POP twitter like that, but whenever I am, I'm usually seeing people talk about NCT, Stray Kids, ENHYPHEN, ATEEZ, ZB1, TXT, etc. Frankly, I think most of these groups have fans that don't even care that much about their music, but because they enjoy the group so much, they're more inclined to support their releases. IDK if it's just me, I don't see that for too many GGs.

I think you’ve kind of hit the nail on the head with this one.

I am on Kpop twitter and almost all the accounts I find are boy group accounts. I will sometimes find other users who are into girl groups, but the main focus of their account is a boy group with the girl groups sort of a side thing.

I’m sort of guilty of this too :sweat: yes 75% of my playlists is GG’s, but my top artists are always the 3 boy groups (Shinee, TBZ, and WayV) that I hold dear to my heart.

I always sort of forget everyone’s fan bases aren’t split an equal 50/50 of boys and girls. Girl fans are usually the ones who will buy a lot and stream and statistically speaking boy groups will have more girl fans than girl groups

Last edited:

Ddeona Oneul Bame

#FREE THE BOYS Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,678,100
Pronouns
#FREE THE BOYS

I think you’ve kind of hit the nail on the head with this one.

I am on Kpop twitter and almost all the accounts I find are boy group accounts. I will sometimes find other users who are into girl groups, but the main focus of their account is a boy group with the girl groups sort of a side thing.

I’m sort of guilty of this too :sweat: yes 75% of my playlists is GG’s, but my top artists are always the 3 boy groups (Shinee, TBZ, and WayV) that I hold dear to my heart.

I always sort of forget everyone’s fan bases aren’t split an equal 50/50 of boys and girls. Girl fans are usually the ones who will buy a lot and stream and statistically speaking boy groups will have more girl fans than girl groups
I've noticed this, too, for a couple of years now. A lot of people will sort of casually stan a ton of GGs but they go ultra hard for a single BG and they tend to actually be willing to spend money on the BG as opposed to any of the GGs.

Also of note, now is pretty much the best time to be pushing your BG of choice to the top for most BG fans with BTS being enlisted currently. Especially amongst the 4th gen BGs. With GGs, it doesn't really feel like the Nation's GG discussion is at the forefront of K-POP discourse right now. Hence why, I don't think there's much desire for GG stans to hardcore support their releases right now. Whereas it does seem as though Top Boy Group is up for contention with 4th genners.

Top Bottom