What's going on with girl group comebacks lately?

Mina

ᴊᴜɴɢᴡᴏᴏ ʙᴇʏᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏғ ᴋᴏʀᴇᴀ Shop Lead Awards
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭27,400
Pronouns
she/her
I didn't even realize something WAS going on, I'm just here loving and bopping to almost every gg song released so far :BoredPar:

Like it's been said in this thread, boygroups tend to have more fanbased driven careers and can ''survive'' ''flop eras'' easier, while girl groups rely heavily on the general public for success. It's even more noticeable when people say NewJeans are flopping, just because their recent releases didn't hit a PAK roof.

But also, isn't the most popular song of the year so far released by a gg? Supernova.

tokki

made in your love Awards Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭654,820
none of these results are really all that surprising to me honestly...?

IVE - I wonder if the multiple mvs/songs being promoted so closely together is confusing non-DIVE who don't know what song they're supposed to care about more? and even DIVE only have so much time to dedicate to streaming etc and the MVs were released too closely together, so their efforts are being split up instead of going all-in on a main song - they're far from the only group to have more than one title track as this is getting more common lately, but this is just my personal experience with their comeback

NewJeans - I was a HUGEEEE Tokki when they debuted and even through OMG/Ditto, but they completely moved away from the concepts that had gotten my interest at debut and their recent songs are painfully boring for me and were probably the most obvious example of songs being made to be TikTok trending sounds - in true HYBE label fashion, they've unfortunately become just another cash cow to milk and I'm also largely turned off by their CEO's creepy behavior towards the members and I pray that those girls are being kept safe but it doesn't seem like any of the adults in their lives have their best interests at heart since their parents are chummy with the CEO :\

RV - I loved their CB, but SM didn't even try to promote this comeback well and even the members have not been shy about their displeasure with how it was handled...I will say that music shows are pretty meaningless these days though and RV have already proven thousands of times over that they are talented women and have more than made their mark on the industry

STAYC - I want to like this group. I want to! But they never stick with a concept and it drives me insane lol Cheeky Icy Thang isn't necessarily a bad song to me, but it's certainly a *choice* following up from Poppy, Teddy Bear, and Bubble (all my personal favorite STAYC songs along with ASAP) - they also had to wait nearly a year between comebacks due to having their tour, which killed a lot of the casual listener hype they had just built up with those hits...

Kiss of Life: not a group for me but I can appreciate what they're going for and if the members are genuinely as comfortable with the concept as they say they are (obviously only they know their real feelings), then I'm happy for them - I think their songs are charting decently well (top 20-ish on most Korean charts last I looked?) so it seems that they're filling a void in the industry for many

Everglow - YueHua has proven they don't care about this group, so fans aren't exactly convinced that they should either 🤷‍♂️ it's crazy to think of the success they could have had if they got consistent comebacks and proper management

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭213,000
Pronouns
she
I think I enjoy with most of the comebacks! But i love what Aespa is creating. Their music brings the old Kpop vibes..

Top Bottom