10 Anime That Turned 10 Years Old In 2023

Vampire

IDLE TRANSFIGURATION Community Manager Moderator VIP+ Ninth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭108,517
Sadly, I'm a year late, but I wanted to post this anyway because I will be posting a "10 Anime That Are Turning 10 Years Old In 2024" later on, so please be on the look out for that! Much like what happened in this list and that list, there are many anime that didn't "make the cut," but that does not mean I am giving them an indication of their worth by not being named—so if there's something I missed, absolutely feel free to post about it yourself.

Source: 1, 2, 3, 4

Love Live! School Idol Project
4b3aa28561872fd75476b8842ce0825876e572cd.gif

Aired: Jan 6, 2013 - Mar 31, 2013 (13 Episodes)
Synopsis:
Otonokizaka High School is in a crisis! With the number of enrolling students dropping lower and lower every year, the school is set to shut down after its current first years graduate. However, second year Honoka Kousaka refuses to let it go without a fight. Searching for a solution, she comes across popular school idol group A-RISE and sets out to create a school idol group of her own. With the help of her childhood friends Umi Sonoda and Kotori Minami, Honoka forms μ's (pronounced "muse") to boost awareness and popularity of her school.

Unfortunately, it's all easier said than done. Student council president Eri Ayase vehemently opposes the establishment of a school idol group and will do anything in her power to prevent its creation. Moreover, Honoka and her friends have trouble attracting any additional members. But the Love Live, a competition to determine the best and most beloved school idol groups in Japan, can help them gain the attention they desperately need. With the contest fast approaching, Honoka must act quickly and diligently to try and bring together a school idol group and win the Love Live in order to save Otonokizaka High School.
Additional Information: The rhythm mobile game at some point had over 30 million players! Strangely enough, it ended service last year and then launched a sequel game... which then had to delay its global version until February... but is now scheduled to terminate at the end of May. Strange, indeed. [5]

Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)
tumblr_otsezx3HEZ1u9of0co4_540.gif

Aired: Apr 7, 2013 - Sep 29, 2013 (25 Episodes)
Synopsis:
Centuries ago, mankind was slaughtered to near extinction by monstrous humanoid creatures called Titans, forcing humans to hide in fear behind enormous concentric walls. What makes these giants truly terrifying is that their taste for human flesh is not born out of hunger but what appears to be out of pleasure. To ensure their survival, the remnants of humanity began living within defensive barriers, resulting in one hundred years without a single titan encounter. However, that fragile calm is soon shattered when a colossal Titan manages to breach the supposedly impregnable outer wall, reigniting the fight for survival against the man-eating abominations.

After witnessing a horrific personal loss at the hands of the invading creatures, Eren Yeager dedicates his life to their eradication by enlisting into the Survey Corps, an elite military unit that combats the merciless humanoids outside the protection of the walls. Eren, his adopted sister Mikasa Ackerman, and his childhood friend Armin Arlert join the brutal war against the Titans and race to discover a way of defeating them before the last walls are breached.
Additional Information: Attack on Titan received widespread critical acclaim and has been praised by many critics as one of the greatest anime series of all time. The anime is noted for its widespread appeal and enormous global popularity, being cited as an important factor in introducing anime to a new generation. In 2021, during the first part of the final season, Attack on Titan was the most viewed television program in the United States, before it was overtaken by The Falcon and the Winter Soldier shortly before the mid-season finale. [6]

Hataraku Maou-sama! (The Devil is a Part-Timer!)
cf363078e6b85292d5f88fae3ff7f01106524caa.gif

Aired: Apr 4, 2013 - Jun 27, 2013 (13 Episodes)
Synopsis:
Striking fear into the hearts of mortals, the Demon Lord Satan begins to conquer the land of Ente Isla with his vast demon armies. However, while embarking on this brutal quest to take over the continent, his efforts are foiled by the hero Emilia, forcing Satan to make his swift retreat through a dimensional portal only to land in the human world. Along with his loyal general Alsiel, the demon finds himself stranded in modern-day Tokyo and vows to return and complete his subjugation of Ente Isla—that is, if they can find a way back!

Powerless in a world without magic, Satan assumes the guise of a human named Sadao Maou and begins working at MgRonald's—a local fast-food restaurant—to make ends meet. He soon realizes that his goal of conquering Ente Isla is just not enough as he grows determined to climb the corporate ladder and become the ruler of Earth, one satisfied customer at a time!

Whether it's part-time work, household chores, or simply trying to pay the rent on time, Hataraku Maou-sama! presents a hilarious view of the most mundane aspects of everyday life, all through the eyes of a hapless demon lord.
Additional Information: Shockingly, a continuation of the anime adaptation aired a whole 9 years later! The main character also made a brief appearance in a McDonald's ad that was running in 2023. [8]

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU)
fc7c6efcd668e1690a15b91ab006d832bfe089da.gif

Aired: Apr 5, 2013 - Jun 28, 2013 (13 Episodes)
Synopsis:
Hachiman Hikigaya is an apathetic high school student with narcissistic and semi-nihilistic tendencies. He firmly believes that joyful youth is nothing but a farce, and everyone who says otherwise is just lying to themselves.

In a novel punishment for writing an essay mocking modern social relationships, Hachiman's teacher forces him to join the Volunteer Service Club, a club that aims to extend a helping hand to any student who seeks their support in achieving their goals. With the only other club member being the beautiful ice queen Yukino Yukinoshita, Hachiman finds himself on the front line of other people's problems—a place he never dreamed he would be. As Hachiman and Yukino use their wits to solve many students' problems, will Hachiman's rotten view of society prove to be a hindrance or a tool he can use to his advantage?
Additional Information: My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU was chosen as the best light novel of Japan according to the online polls compiled by the Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! annual guide book in 2014, 2015 and 2016. Hachiman Hikigaya was elected the best male character in 2014, 2015 and 2016. Yukino Yukinoshita was elected the best female character in 2015 and Ponkan8, the series' artist, was chosen as the best illustrator in 2015 and 2016. [9]

Date A Live
65d3fe647931da50479f91761690e62491fe73ea.gif

Aired: Apr 6, 2013 - Jun 22, 2013 (12 Episodes)
Synopsis:
Thirty years ago, the Eurasian continent was devastated by a supermassive "spatial quake"—a phenomenon involving space vibrations of unknown origin—resulting in the deaths of over 150 million people. Since then, these quakes have been plaguing the world intermittently, albeit on a lighter scale.

Shidou Itsuka is a seemingly average high school student who lives with his younger sister, Kotori. When an imminent spatial quake threatens the safety of Tengu City, he rushes to save her, only to be caught in the resulting eruption. He discovers a mysterious girl at its source, who is revealed to be a "Spirit," an otherworldly entity whose appearance triggers a spatial quake. Soon after, he becomes embroiled in a skirmish between the girl and the Anti-Spirit Team, a ruthless strike force with the goal of annihilating Spirits.

However, there is a third party that believes in saving the spirits: "Ratatoskr," which surprisingly is commanded by Shidou's little sister! Kotori forcibly recruits Shidou after the clash, presenting to him an alternative method of dealing with the danger posed by the Spirits—make them fall in love with him. Now, the fate of the world rests on his dating prowess, as he seeks out Spirits in order to charm them.
Additional Information: As of 2021, the light novel series has 6 million copies in print worldwide. [10] The fifth season is currently airing.

Free! (Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club)
789fc18e766caa9a3277aee72e3bb8c279aa452b.gif

Aired: Jul 4, 2013 - Sep 26, 2013 (12 Episodes)
Synopsis:
Haruka Nanase has a love for water and a passion for swimming. In elementary school, he competed in and won a relay race with his three friends Rin Matsuoka, Nagisa Hazuki, and Makoto Tachibana. After claiming victory at the tournament, the four friends went their separate ways. Years later, they reunite as high school students; however, Rin couldn't care less about returning to the way things used to be. Not only does he attend a different school, but the sole thing important to him is proving that he is a better swimmer than Haruka.

After the bitter reunion, Haruka, Nagisa, and Makoto decide to form the Iwatobi High School Swim Club, but they will need a fourth member if they hope to take part in the upcoming tournament. Enter Rei Ryuugazaki, a former member of the track team whom Nagisa recruits. As the time to compete draws near, the four develop a close bond while training intensely to come out on top and settle things between Haruka and Rin once and for all.
Additional Information: The final installment—a two-part anime film project—was slated for release alongside the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics, but had to be postponed. [11] After finally premiering in the spring of 2022, the second part made over $6.69 million USD. [12]

Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Rises)
ca630a839be56f01ab858806db0459abc1be2467.gif

Aired: Jul 20, 2013 (Movie)
Synopsis:
Although Jirou Horikoshi's nearsightedness prevents him from ever becoming a pilot, he leaves his hometown to study aeronautical engineering at Tokyo Imperial University for one simple purpose: to design and build planes just like his hero, Italian aircraft pioneer Giovanni Battista Caproni. His arrival in the capital coincides with the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923, during which he saves a maid serving the family of a young girl named Naoko Satomi; this disastrous event marks the beginning of over two decades of social unrest and malaise leading up to Japan's eventual surrender in World War II.

For Jirou, the years leading up to the production of his infamous Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter aircraft will test every fiber of his being. His many travels and life experiences only urge him onward⁠—even as he realizes both the role of his creations in the war and the harsh realities of his personal life. As time marches on, he must confront an impossible question: at what cost does he chase his beautiful dream?
Additional Information: The Wind Rises was the highest-grossing Japanese film in Japan in 2013. It was Hayao Miyazaki's first feature film since Ponyo in 2008, and was thought to be his last until he came out of retirement in 2023 with The Boy and the Heron. [13][14]

Kill la Kill
fb7101b07cdfe5abf7beff95ea8b923d0c2af78f.gif

Aired: Oct 4, 2013 - Mar 28, 2014 (24 Episodes)
Synopsis:
After the murder of her father, Ryuuko Matoi has been wandering the land in search of his killer. Following her only lead—the missing half of his invention, the Scissor Blade—she arrives at the prestigious Honnouji Academy, a high school unlike any other. The academy is ruled by the imposing and cold-hearted student council president Satsuki Kiryuuin alongside her powerful underlings, the Elite Four. In the school's brutally competitive hierarchy, Satsuki bestows upon those at the top special clothes called "Goku Uniforms," which grant the wearer unique superhuman abilities.

Thoroughly beaten in a fight against one of the students in uniform, Ryuuko retreats to her razed home where she stumbles across Senketsu, a rare and sentient "Kamui," or God Clothes. After coming into contact with Ryuuko's blood, Senketsu awakens, latching onto her and providing her with immense power. Now, armed with Senketsu and the Scissor Blade, Ryuuko makes a stand against the Elite Four, hoping to reach Satsuki and uncover the culprit behind her father's murder once and for all.
Additional Information: An absurd, over-the-top, and weird anime that won the hearts of many and solidified Studio Trigger's unique style overall. Although the series was incredibly popular and received mostly positive reviews, a forefront complaint was its fanservice imagery; was it really just fanservice, or was there a point and source of empowerment from it given the context of the story? I don't know because I didn't finish it and barely remember! Kill la Kill won multiple prizes during the 4th Newtype Anime Awards, including Best Character Design (Sushio), Best Script (Kazuki Nakashima), Best Sound, and Best Picture (TV Broadcast). It placed second for Best Theme Song ("Sirius"), Best Director (Hiroyuki Imaishi) and Best Studio (Trigger). In the Best Mascot category, Senketsu placed third and Guts placed ninth. In Best Character (female), Ryuko placed second, and Mako placed third. The anime was part of the Jury Selections of the 18th Japan Media Arts Festival in the Animation category. [15]

Diabolik Lovers
07dcb4af4e53960351d0b9d83e46326b4168d0c2.gif

Aired: Sep 16, 2013 - Dec 9, 2013 (12 Episodes)
Synopsis:
At the behest of her father, Yui Komori goes to live in a secluded mansion, home to the six Sakamaki brothers—Shuu, Reiji, Ayato, Kanato, Laito, and Subaru—a family of vampires. Though at first the siblings are confused as to why the girl has arrived, they soon realize that she is to be their new "sacrificial bride," not to mention their other, more carnal intentions for her. After meeting the brothers, Yui quickly begins to question why her father would have sent her here and why she feels a strange, new pain in her chest. With each brother more sadistic than the last, Yui's life as a captive takes a harrowing turn in her new home. As her days turn into endless nights, and each brother vows to make her his own, Yui falls deeper and deeper into madness and ecstasy.
Additional Information: The anime adaptation of Diabolik Lovers is met with almost entirely derision, and yet it allures the masses all the same. Serving as promotional material for the otome game series it spawned from more than anything else, it will forever cruelly remind English players that Reject doesn't care about localizing it. DAMMIT ALL

Yowamushi Pedal
377fb3238bc6b02d7ac445ff41bcb0d21078efd2.gif

Aired: Oct 8, 2013 to Jul 1, 2014 (38 Episodes)
Synopsis:
Sakamichi Onoda is a cheerful otaku looking to join his new school's anime club, eager to finally make some friends. Unfortunately, the club has been disbanded and he takes it upon himself to revive it by finding students who are willing to join. Without much luck, Onoda decides to make a round trip to Akihabara on his old, bulky city bicycle, a weekly 90-kilometer ride he has been completing since fourth grade.

This is when he meets fellow first year student, Shunsuke Imaizumi, a determined cyclist who is using the school's steep incline for practice. Surprised by Onoda's ability to climb the hill with his specific type of bicycle, Imaizumi challenges him to a race, with the proposition of joining the anime club should Onoda win. And thus begins the young boy's first foray into the world of high school bicycle racing!
Additional Information: In the year following its first episode, bike shops in Japan saw an increase in the number of women taking an interest in cycling largely because of this anime. Interest in specific bicycle manufacturers grew as well, corresponding to the bikes ridden by some of the series' characters. Japanese representatives for Pinarello, an Italian bike manufacturer and the preferred ride of character Naruko Shoukichi, noted an increase in the number of interested female buyers. [16]

Thank you for reading! This thread has been brought to you by Vampire of The Anime & Manga Club. Happy "Ani-May," everyone! :poggers:

SirTim0thy

🦋 Karma Butterfly 🦋
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭565,000
My best friend & I saw The Wind Rises in a theatre re-showing last year and it was so good 😭

Also, now my friend's favorite film!

Bellamy

Maybe I'm weirdo, I know...〰 VIP+ Early Supporters Second Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭32,324,914
Pronouns
She/Her
Diabolik Lovers was my guilty pleasure:poggers:

Beefy

Billion Dollar Bitch
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,741,385
Pronouns
They/Them
Free and Diabolik Lovers omg, I remember logging into crunchyroll every week to watch the new eps it was serious for me!

some of other unpopular ones I enjoyed that year were Ai-Mai-Mi and Cuticle Detective Inaba….how nostalgic :(

Chiharu

The Worst Girl in the World Events VIP+ Tenth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,085,232
I remember watching AoT not too long after it first aired...crazy that it was 10 years ago. And now I can't be bothered to watch past s3 cause I'm not feeling the direction it went in

Vampire

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭108,517
Diabolik Lovers was my guilty pleasure:poggers:
Free and Diabolik Lovers omg, I remember logging into crunchyroll every week to watch the new eps it was serious for me!
I love to hear it! :fab:

some of other unpopular ones I enjoyed that year were Ai-Mai-Mi and Cuticle Detective Inaba….how nostalgic :(
But yeah, no kidding on the nostalgia... I felt a little emo while compiling this together tbh :sadpuppy:

Vampire

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭108,517
:wow:
This quality content, this is too much thread effort for H+

I've always meant to commit to AoT, and can just never get around to it.
:yooheadache:
Thank you! It was mostly a lot of copying & pasting, but it still took me time to put everything together and also formatting :christmasblob:

Well, AoT is officially over, so whenever you're ready... it is there for you! :magicpar:

soozie

✴︎ Events
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭193,083
thank you for keeping the anime & manga club alive vampy :sanapray:

of this list, the devil is a part-timer is definitely my favorite! i decided to check it out randomly but it turns out to be surprisingly fun.
the first season of aot is also great - maybe one day i'll convince myself to finish the show and wrap it up for good.
free! was also a cute watch

kill la kill... despite all the praises, i cannot get past the first ep :jy: fanservice is just not for me

Ackerman

Everything Everywhere All at Once Administrator
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭38,919,234
Hard to believe its been that long but most of these are legends at this point. The Devil Is a Part Timer is still hilarious.

Stan BiSH

Global Star Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,626,925
i saw most of them i'm getting old :doge:

i recall watching these weekly
Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)
tumblr_otsezx3HEZ1u9of0co4_540.gif

Hataraku Maou-sama! (The Devil is a Part-Timer!)
cf363078e6b85292d5f88fae3ff7f01106524caa.gif

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU)
fc7c6efcd668e1690a15b91ab006d832bfe089da.gif

Kill la Kill
fb7101b07cdfe5abf7beff95ea8b923d0c2af78f.gif

also others that aren't on the list but i watched that year were Watamote, Gatchaman Crowds, Silver Spoon, Yozakura Quartet, Coppelion and a couple more

really good year wasn't it?

Baymax

(•—•)
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭33,450
The Devil is a Part-timer is still one of the funniest anime for me, I still have yet to watch season 2 but I hope it still has that same level of comedy for me :TeaPar:

Top Bottom