The Official DreamCatcher / InSomnia Thread

Seriously

Pretty πŸ’œ Psycho Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­46,100
Maybe there was some kinda contractural obligation. When they had the 7 year anniversary she was able to get it of being billed exclusively as gahyeon. Companies can really do anything with names. I remember trainee bona (jiyeon) came to work one day and they basically said your new name is Bona she was blindsided and never asked for it xD
Potentially yeah, I definitely think the girls went in with some terms and improvements when they resigned. They appear to be financially better off since, alongside seemingly leaving the dorm. Maybe freedom from her "stage name" was another thing they changed, who knows.

I'd just never thought of Gahyeon as a stage name, changing it slightly just to fit with Yoohyeon is so odd. WHY did it need to match with Yoohyeon?

Magus27

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­873,545
i think this is the first time i see a kpop idol make their english romanization official

i wonder too :unsure:

some of gahyun's fan account on X is fast, gahyeonpress already changed to gahyunpress lol

jiu and yoohyeon's hobby is to antagonize sua :TzuyuKek:

I think this is the first time I've seen a kpop idol make the romanization of their first name official like that.

The only other experience I'm familiar with was Sistar stage names. When Sistar first came out, a lot of sites used Hyorin and Soyu. Eventually it was confirmed that Hyolyn should be used and Soyu updated her romanization to be Soyou instead since that's how she wanted it pronounced and it would make sense for English speakers.

Potentially yeah, I definitely think the girls went in with some terms and improvements when they resigned. They appear to be financially better off since, alongside seemingly leaving the dorm. Maybe freedom from her "stage name" was another thing they changed, who knows.

I'd just never thought of Gahyeon as a stage name, changing it slightly just to fit with Yoohyeon is so odd. WHY did it need to match with Yoohyeon?

They thought it would be easier for English speaking fans, even though it's a misconception since Gahyun would've been easier for people to pronounce. What should be clear is they did not really have an English speaker on staff at the time which is probably why this decision ended up being made.

frostpuddle

Global Star Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­32,013
I think this is the first time I've seen a kpop idol make the romanization of their first name official like that.

The only other experience I'm familiar with was Sistar stage names. When Sistar first came out, a lot of sites used Hyorin and Soyu. Eventually it was confirmed that Hyolyn should be used and Soyu updated her romanization to be Soyou instead since that's how she wanted it pronounced and it would make sense for English speakers.

They thought it would be easier for English speaking fans, even though it's a misconception since Gahyun would've been easier for people to pronounce. What should be clear is they did not really have an English speaker on staff at the time which is probably why this decision ended up being made.
But I think Gahyeon is closer to the korean pronunciation than Gahyun...

Same problem like Hyundai, in my country, or at least I usually pronounce it wrong. but if they romanize it to Hyeondae, we probably would pronounce it closer to the actual name.

soon, we might see Yuhyun :yoosmile:

Seriously

Pretty πŸ’œ Psycho Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­46,100

Same problem like Hyundai, in my country, or at least I usually pronounce it wrong. but if they romanize it to Hyeondae, we probably would pronounce it closer to the actual name.

They'll skip it entirely... "Dream of me, Dreamcatcher's Rachel"

Magus27

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­873,545

If it was closer to the Korean pronunciation, why was her name romanized differently?
Like I never understood why people would use Hyosung (Secret) and she had it romanized as Hyoseong (which is what I always typed).

Hyundai.... in the U.S., all the commercials pronounce it huhn-day (similar to Sunday). I believe in the UK, the British pronunciation is hai-un-dai (so very similar to Hyeondae)

Nah, she seems to like Ms. Yoohyeon Kim a lot (and I bet you her passport is romanized that way)

Last edited:

frostpuddle

Global Star Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­32,013
If it was closer to the Korean pronunciation, why was her name romanized differently?
Like I never understood why people would use Hyosung (Secret) and she had it romanized as Hyoseong (which is what I always typed).

Hyundai.... in the U.S., all the commercials pronounce it huhn-day (similar to Sunday). I believe in the UK, the British pronunciation is hai-un-dai (so very similar to Hyeondae)

Nah, she seems to like Ms. Yoohyeon Kim a lot (and I bet you her passport is romanized that way)
no idea how Koreans use english romanization. For example, Siyeon and Dami's surname is pronounced Yi (Yee) in Korean, but they still use Lee. Lee is how it's pronounced in Chinese, the same character as Bruce Lee's surname, so maybe some ancient historical thing there.

Top Bottom