Tommie

🌺 Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭9,250
Meet the Korean Girl Group of Your Beauty Dreams
(G)I-dle%252520group%252520photo%252520red%252520vibe.jpg

Soyeon
If I had to give the girls of (G)I-dle beauty superlatives, Soyeon would be The Makeup Lover. Not only does she have some of the edgiest looks in (G)I-dle's music videos, she also enjoys experimenting with makeup in her free time. Throughout the interview, Soyeon perks up whenever cosmetics come up and speaks the most in-depth about them. Her passion for makeup got me excited about it, too, even though we are fully on the same page about it.

What impresses me most about 20-year-old Soyeon, aside from her spectacular songwriting and rapping skills, is her devotion to eye shadow. Her favorite thing to do is blend together six or seven shadow shades to create a look based on her mood. "I have four or five palettes. I use one [shadow] from here and one from there," she shares. "These days, I’m really into neutral tones, like brown or beige." To go along with her neutral eye looks lately, (G)I-dle's leader is also all about matte nude lipstick, Minnie adds.

Eyeliner is another area of makeup exploration for Soyeon. She'll try drawing lines upward and downward from the corners of her eyes. Her makeup artist also taught her that sweeping blush on in different ways can completely change the vibe of her look. "For cute looks, I always do blush on the apple zone," Soyeon explains. "For sexy ones, I do a more angled shape." When it comes time to wash off her makeup creation of the day, Soyeon starts with micellar water before cleansing with oil then foaming face wash — in case you were wondering.

To get inspiration for looks, Soyeon refers to videos from Korean YouTuber Jella because they have similar eye shapes. When I suggest to Soyeon that she should create beauty tutorials of her own, she laughs and responds, "I’m not really a professional at makeup." I need to see Soyeon's eye shadow technique in action, though. My fingers are crossed she'll change her mind.

Tommie

🌺 Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭9,250
(G)I-DLE Discuss New Single 'Hann (Alone)' & Debut-Year Goals During First U.S. Visit: Exclusive
G-I-DLE-2018-billboard-1548.jpg

It's been less than three months since your debut and (G)I-DLE is already here in New York! Did you think you'd be meeting overseas fans so quickly?
Soyeon:
Our dream was always to come to America to talk with our fans if we could possibly meet them. It was always our goal but, honestly speaking, we thought it would take at least three years to come to America -- but it's been only three months.

Your debut single "Latata" and the I Am album had a really strong performance on the Billboard charts. Did think you would have this type of international interest upon debut? Was it at all intimidating?
Soyeon:
It really was unexpected for us and it still feels like a dream.

When I listen to I Am, it felt like there was a very powerful and strong image, but also showed softer and more tender moments. Soyeon, you worked on nearly all the songs. What inspired this as the proper introduction to (G)I-DLE?
Soyeon:
I always wanted to do something new -- I don't want to be like other idol groups in Korea. I don't really get inspired by other music, I just solely think about each of the members and gain inspiration from that. The whole "Latata" song was created by me and I made the song thinking about my group and each member, and then I based my other songs off what I know what the members are best at and what their specific charms are.

Speaking of different sides, how do you describe your new single "Hann (Alone)"?
Soyeon:
To be precise, it's a summer song and has the feelings of summer, but it's a different, unique feeling. It isn't cliché. You know how summer songs are usually happy, bright and uptempo? This one is more down-tempo. I wrote it as well.

What goals do you have before your one-year anniversary in 2019?
Soyeon:
We really, really want to win the new artist and rookie award.

During your Tapei trip, you performed a cover of BTS' "Fake Love." Are you fans?
Soyeon:
We really respect them as artists. Since BTS did help and introduce so many people to so many artists, we're influenced by them too. We would like to also strive for a similar path.

What else do you want to emphasize to fans who are watching from around the world?
Soyeon:
I'm really thankful for your interest and love from all the fans. We haven't really shown many sides of ourselves yet in our first album, but in our future albums, we'll be able to show more sides of ourselves.

Tommie

🌺 Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭9,250
Starnews Korea Interview with (G)I-DLE
Part 1

How have you been spending your time after the '2018 AAA'?
(SY) Because of the various year-end events we attended, we spent most of our time practising for the various different stages. I definitely had to learn the different choreographies. I also spend some time remixing LATATA. I think I spent most of my time practising.

Do you still recall the moment you finally made your debut and reminisce of your trainee days?
(SY) Actually, within our group there's an overlap among our training periods

You must have been so busy, that you hardly have any rest time.
(SY) We're still newcomers. As soon as our LATATA promotions ended, we prepared for our comeback. Then, we prepared for the various awards ceremony, and then I went on with my schedule. I don't think we've had any breaks, or time for breaks, just yet. Of course now, I can relax a bit, but not mentally.

How do you spend time with each other, when you do have time for a break?
(SY) We basically chat among ourselves. We chat and share stories in the dorm living room. It's usually about restaurants and raising dogs. I also go to the local neighbourhood restaurants (to eat), rather than the busy famous ones. The members seems to have a liking to Chinese food. Haha.

Soyeon, do you find it hard to manage the time between the group and composing/writing?
(SY) I've been interested in music since I was young. I attended a music school. To me, when I'm in my process, I'll actually feel stressed out if I can't produce something, that it becomes more stressful not being able to work on something. I want to express myself in whatever I do, and when I'm in the zone, I get rid of the stress. Whatever comes to mind, I'll use it. Once you get into the workflow, it doesn't get too difficult.

Part 2

Going into the 2nd year for (G)I-DLE. What more can we expcet from you in the future?
(SY) We want to continue to be the (G)I-DLE that keeps doing things that we wanted to do. LATATA and HANN were something that the group wanted to do. Eventually, I want to have a go at various other styles of music in the future. I hope that in 2019, I can still enjoy the music that we've made along the way.

What was the most memorable moment for you in 2018?
(SY) For me, it was when LATATA made it into the charts for the first time. It was really unexpected. I couldn't fully grasp the situation.

You didn't expect the love you got from overseas?
(SY) I didn't expect many people to turn up for the flashmob when we planned for it in New York. But, the turnout was more than expected. I get recognised in duty-free shops too by foreigners. At that time, I was wearing something comfortable, so I didn't think they'd recognise me. Thank you for that. Haha.

What do you think is the charm that differentiates (G)I-DLE?
(SY) We've got a unique group. When I was a trainee, I was worried about whether I'd be able to work together as a group, because everyone was so unique and different. Since we've been together, I think our individuality has become our group's unique charm.

What's the most interesting genre recently?
(SY) I've been listening to a lot of jazz lately. Haha. Anyway, if you listen to most songs nowadays, the genre boundary lines have been erased. Like for "LATATA", I don't think it can be classified into a genre. I'm working towards our very own (G)I-DLE genre.

When can we expect your next album?
(All) Soon. Work on the album is almost done. It's an album where all the members have a hand in in various ways. Please look forward to it.

Part 3

What are your hopes for 2019?
(SY) Our 1st anniversary is coming up in May. It felt amazing when we reached the 100 days since debut landmark, time went by so quickly. That's how it felt during my trainee days.

What about overseas activities?
(SY) Overseas activities are just as important. We want to meet a lot of our fans, whether abroad or in Korea. We didn't get much of it, because I'm sure a lot of our fans haven't manage to meet us either.

What's your goal for 2019?
(SY) My dad always tell me to dream big. When I was a trainee, I dream of being number 1 on the Billboard chart. I think that as an artist, it'd be a great honour, to be able to achieve it.

Tommie

🌺 Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭9,250
News1 2019 New Year's Special Interview with (G)I-DLE
Part 1

(G)I-DLE was voted by officials as the Best Newcomer for 2018
SY: Before we made our debut, we said, 'Let's just go do our best.' But I'm just surprised and very grateful to have received so much love right from the start. As one's expected, I think I should work harder in 2019 to show a better performance.

The secret that made (G)I-DLE the best rookie is...
SY: I think it's because we have an idea about what we want to do. From when I start writing the songs, I'll talk with the members a lot, and this gives me an idea of what I want to do and how I want to showcase them. When the members enjoy the process, it becomes better.

So far (G)I-DLE have only performed their own songs, LATATA and HANN. It wouldn't have been an easy decision to make them into the title track...I'm sure the members can agree
SY: I am very grateful to the company for this. It's not easy to debut with a song written by a rookie. But the company showed a lot of trust in me.

The debut song LATATA topped the music charts, and after 20 days earned a first win on a music show
SY: When I first made the song, I felt embarrassed to show it to others. I felt that it was too strong and thought it wouldn't be a hit. The songs I made alway's like that. Some will say it's good, some will say it's bad. It gets evaluated. When LATATA was released, if it didn't become a hit, I don't want the members to feel it was my fault. I was actually quite nervous even before the debut. When it finally charted, it was really unexpected. Although having the song reach the charts was a goal, I was so thankful and amazed that so many people listened to my song so quickly. Since then, I've gained a lot of confidence.

Both HANN and LATATA drew so much attention with its concept. Is this the main concept of (G)I-DLE or are you going to explore different concepts in the future.
SY: I've always wanted to try a unique concept at least once with the group. I think that the concept has worked out well with the members own style. But, this is only just the first concept for us. There's still so much I want to do. All of the members are so unique and individualistic that there's no limit to what we can to do next. I want to try all kinds of music.

Are the members' opinion taken into consideration when an album concept is decided
SY: Yes it's reflected. I look into everything. (Laughs) When I write a song, I think about styling and concepts. But the members' do pitch in their ideas. We communicate a lot, so they'll often share what songs or concepts they want to do. Since we're comfortable around each other, we're more open. I'll then tell the company how we intend to do it.

(G)I-DLE is known as group with an extensive range, tell us each member's uniqueness
SY: I know their voices well since I've listened to their recordings. As an inside joke between us, Minnie's voice is very "dreamy, dreamy" and it matches well with that term. When we were trainees, when she sang, her voice and tone has that something that's both heavy and not so heavy. It's just a voice that draws you in. Miyeon's voice has that "attractive quality" that most Koreans like. I'd say it has that little trot feel to it...yeah, I think that expression fits. I always give her the chorus, and she sings it well. Her voice is really good, and has that irresistable charm. Shuhua has a unique voice, which I've never heard. It's both husky and tender, and really hits you at high pitch. So, it mixes well in the "LATATA" part. Yuqi has a very deep voice. I was initially worried that it'll be harder to sing idol songs with a deep low voice. In fact, when I record something during the rainy weather, I tend to with a lower vocal range, so when I was producing the song, I try to matched Yuqi's range with the low notes of the rainy weather. Because the low vocal range is rare in girl groups, it makes it attractive. Soojin has a beautiful voice. I'd like to also point out that when Soojin sings ballads, the song sounds both sad and beautiful. So a lot of people like Soojin's voice.

MN: Everyone knows Soyeon's good at rapping. But, she can actually sing very well. I recall when we were trainees, she sings ballads well.

SY: Just a little bit. (laughs)

You attended various awards ceremony in 2018. How was it like to be on the big stage?
SY: It felt really huge. (laughs) I was really nervous, so nervous that I didn't want to change or add much to the choregraphy. But standing on the stage itself was such a huge honour. Overall, it was fun.

Part 2

The Soyeon from P101 and UPRS3 is completely gone. Do you feel that the Soyeon from (G)I-DLE is more recognisable
SY: I'm just glad and relieved. When I first made my debut, I wanted to totally be a new person. I wanted to be the Soyeon from (G)I-DLE rather than the Soyeon from P101 and UPRS3. Since, that's what many people have come to think of it, so I guess I succeeded.

When you first made the debut, there was a concern that the "idol-style" would hinder Soyeon's ability, however you've used greatly it to your advantage instead
SY: Even when I went on UPRS3, I felt that I was going to be in a group since I was from CUBE. I showed a little bit of it in UPRS3, as well as a different side of it in P101. It was like a teaser to (G)I-DLE. I've only just shown you glimpses of it, so please look forward to more.

The LoL K/DA project which both Soyeon and Miyeon took part in also became a hot topic. The MV have exceeded more than 100m views.
SY: It was such an honour to even participate. We've been preparing for it for over a year. It felt as though if I didn't do well on stage, it could be ruined. I felt so much pressure. I'm just glad that many people liked it after the performance. Unlike Miyeon though, I've never heard so much about it from everyone. (laughs)

Is there anyone you'd like to work with?
SY: I'd rather write for someone rather than collab with another. I feel that my group's synergy is just too strong, but I'm not the only one working on it. We can do cheerful and bright songs that is complete opposite of our image...I'd want to work with other artists

If you've got overseas activities/promotions, do you think you've reached your target?
SY: Because our dreams have to be big...I want to be on a stage where everyone knows it's the best. No matter what it is.

Choose someone who'll stand out the most this year
All: Minnie. (laughs) Writes songs well.

SY: Shuhua's really funny. But, she's rather shy. There's just so many things that happens behind the scenes.

In 2018, you made your debut and received so much loved. Is there anything you'd like to achieve this year?
SY: We did so many things in 2018 and received so much love from everyone. Our goal for this year is to achieve #1 in the music charts with a self-composed song.

Tommie

🌺 Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭9,250
(G)I-DLE Marie Claire Korea April 2019 Feature Interview

The title track Senorita was also written by Soyeon. The previous 2 title tracks were intense, but with Senorita it was somewhat surprising. I'm curious as to why you've decided to comeback with a Latin melody that is quite rare with the current K-pop trends
SY: I don't really know what's trendy, and I don't try to fit into the trend. I always want to do something new and do something that others don't, so I try to listen to the music that I want to do.

Soyeon, what kind of music do you want to perform?
SY: It's always different. Changes every hour. I want to try jazz and I want to do R&B. If I think something like "I want to make this type of music," I'll go for it.

How do you listen to the music you compose, and give/receive feedback from the members?
SY: I'll listen to the guide song to get the whole concept and feel of it. They'll follow along to the guide and I'll propose to them "how about taking it this manner to achieve that concept?" If everything's agreed upon, we'll move forward with it.

In Senorita, we get to hear some of your unique rapping. It's the same as well for What's Your Name.
SY: When I'm listening to music, I like to keep on listening. I don't like the feeling of getting bored. I want to be different from the rest. I've got lots of different versions of the rap segment for Senorita. I tried many styles, but finally settled upon the current version. When I rap, I try to limit my breathing gaps and go with the flow. I try to use that technique.

It won't be easy to do it live.
SY: That's true. (laughs) Sometimes you succeed, sometimes you fail. If I can pause for a momentary breath in the middle, I'll take it, but I try not to. The key is to control the breathing. I'm practicing.

Which song do each of the members like for this album?
SJ: I like 싫다고 말해 (Put it straight)

MY: 주세요 (Give me your) is a song about confessing love. Whenever I hear it, I feel excited, and I love the lyrics.

MN: I'll go with Blow Your Mind. (laughs) The members' dreamy voices turned out well.

SH: 주세요 (Give me your) The lyrics are cute and exciting.

YQ: I like 주세요 (Give me your) too. It has a jazzy start, it's fun to sing to, and nice to listen too.

SY: I'd like to add that 주세요 is more of a "give my your attention" instead of "i want your attention". I love listening to music. I listen to various artists such as BOL4 and 10cm. After listening to a lot of songs, I find that there's hardly any songs to sing to a lover, from a woman's perspective. There's just so many sad songs, goodbye songs, but there just isn't enough songs about saving love. So, I wrote the lyrics to 주세요 out with the idea that I can get many others out there to agree to it. I made it into a cute jazz version, and wanted the members to do it along with me.

MN: I had a lot of fun recording it.

I guess everyone has the same taste in music. But, Yuqi seems to be slightly different.
SY: I don't look into the genre much. But, I do listen to a lot of animation theme songs. I also listen to a lot of Japanese anime theme songs. There's a remake to One Piece theme song, sung by Coyote, One Dream. I love that song. I just listen to a lot of songs I've been listening to when I was younger.

How do you spend your free time when it's no long promotion period?
SY: I read comics, novels, or watch animations. I like to use my imagination.

Maybe it's due to the influence of reading, but Soyeon uses a lot of straightforward sentences when writing your lyrics. Like in "HANN"...and in "싫다고 말해". It's a structure that's not often used in lyrics.
SY: When I think about it, when people listen to music, they want a scene to be painted in front of their eyes. with 싫다고 말해 (Put It Straight), I thought it would be nice to have that scene materialised. The person in front of you sighs. Because in a song, when you say "no", it doesn't really appear as such. I want to listener to know that the other person is no longer interested. I want to express that feeling.

So, it's like making a scene in a movie or a novel.
SY: I believe I've already expressed that into a scene

What are some of the charming qualities of (G)I-DLE that not many people know of yet?
SY: I don't get along with those that I don't really know very well. I'm pretty shy to a lot of people. But our members are all such kind hearted. They are the one I trust these days.

Top Bottom