The Gay and Queer in Kpop Thread

babyv004

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭60,895
I'd be very willing to change the original thread title and post to anything if we think something better fits! I just titled it how I did in keeping with the H8->OH tradition. I think that sort of framing is a good hook for young queer people just figuring themselves out to "get" the thread and wind up there, but we could always just change it to 'LGBT+ in Kpop' or 'the official LGBT thread' or whatever other ideas people like.
I would change the title to smth like "Which idols/asian celebs do you think are LGBT+?"

In case you guys wanna do a division between male and female in different threads, than it should smth like "Which male idols/asian celebs do you think are LGBT+?/Which female idols/asian celebs do you think are LGBT+?"

the reason i am putting asian celebs is bc i noticed thst in the OH people would also talk about actors or other k-celebs and occasionally not only about korean celebs but other asian celebs

Last edited:

sm maid

Global Star Administrator Events VIP+ Eighth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭79,414
Pronouns
She/Her
I'd be very willing to change the original thread title and post to anything if we think something better fits! I just titled it how I did in keeping with the H8->OH tradition. I think that sort of framing is a good hook for young queer people just figuring themselves out to "get" the thread and wind up there, but we could always just change it to 'LGBT+ in Kpop' or 'the official LGBT thread' or whatever other ideas people like.
we actually have an official LGBTQIA+ thread but it was never very active so yeah, I think the title is probably a part of what gives this thread its notoriety as it is an attention grabber for sure

but if you want to change into something about lgbt representation in kpop that is fine too

feredon

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,000
giphy.gif

heather

your heart's not broken, it's only growing Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,475,770
Pronouns
She/Her
I'd also like to throw Baekho into the ring :pandasantathink:

mimenet

chemical blue ocean Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭615,600
Pronouns
He/Him
In honor B1A4 finally having a comeback, here's a reminder to all of you that this exists:

For the uninitiated, this is B1A4 recreating Boys Over Flowers with Sandeul in drag being courted by Baro and Jinyoung for half an hour.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭86,400
Pronouns
He/Him
In honor B1A4 finally having a comeback, here's a reminder to all of you that this exists:

For the uninitiated, this is B1A4 recreating Boys Over Flowers with Sandeul in drag being courted by Baro and Jinyoung for half an hour.

What are your thoughts on Jinyoung? I saw him in Sweet Home so it's now necessary to ask. Haha.

mimenet

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭615,600
Pronouns
He/Him
What are your thoughts on Jinyoung? I saw him in Sweet Home so it's now necessary to ask. Haha.
Jinyoung never really pinged me. He doesn't do anything behaviorally, presents very masc, does acceptable levels of comfortable skinship but doesn't do much fanservice, etc. He also writes especially heterosexual lyrics, a lot of B1A4's discography is more directly "for a girl" listener, even more than most boy group music from that era and Jinyoung wrote the majority of those lyrics. I don't think it's impossible for a bi guy or even a gay guy writing for a straight audience to write lyrics like this, but if you write so much of your group's music and nearly all of it is explicitly heterosexual love songs... it doesn't really suggest queerness.

Personally Sandeul is the only one who ever really pinged me (and he pings me a lot imo). He gets flustered really easily by any sort of affection from men. Gongchan plays into this a lot with him though I think he just likes teasing him and is comfortable with his sexuality. Obviously comfortable enough to be in BL anyways. I know people speculated about Baro a lot especially in the Reply 1994 days but I think that might have partially been just assosciation with his character there. I've never really felt like I had a good read on him in general though.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭86,400
Pronouns
He/Him
Jinyoung never really pinged me. He doesn't do anything behaviorally, presents very masc, does acceptable levels of comfortable skinship but doesn't do much fanservice, etc. He also writes especially heterosexual lyrics, a lot of B1A4's discography is more directly "for a girl" listener, even more than most boy group music from that era and Jinyoung wrote the majority of those lyrics. I don't think it's impossible for a bi guy or even a gay guy writing for a straight audience to write lyrics like this, but if you write so much of your group's music and nearly all of it is explicitly heterosexual love songs... it doesn't really suggest queerness.

Personally Sandeul is the only one who ever really pinged me (and he pings me a lot imo). He gets flustered really easily by any sort of affection from men. Gongchan plays into this a lot with him though I think he just likes teasing him and is comfortable with his sexuality. Obviously comfortable enough to be in BL anyways. I know people speculated about Baro a lot especially in the Reply 1994 days but I think that might have partially been just assosciation with his character there. I've never really felt like I had a good read on him in general though.
Interesting. And thanks for the reply. I'm not really familiar with the group, so this is all fresh. I actually just looked up a Jinyoung interview and it was the most hetero thing imaginable (something to do with his parents being his ultimate role model for parenthood I believe), so that checks out. Haha.

Which BL was Gongchan in? I'll check out the one who pings too.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭86,400
Pronouns
He/Him
Are there any thoughts on other actors? I know Gong Yoo and Gong Myung get mentioned often. Maybe the guy who plays opposite Ren? Or is he too new?

Sergel

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭92,135
He was in Unintentional Love Story earlier this year. Haven't seen it though so don't know if it's any good. I don't usually like BLs anyway though

I watch the good ones, so I might check it out. Thanks!
I really liked it, and it got my to have a Iqiyi subscription. I liked the acting overall, but I can see how some thought the main lead didn't have the best chemistry. I quite like them, but at the same time I can see where others are coming from. Almost like they weren't fully committing, and some more of that was on Gongchan's side. Hard to tell though if it was an acting skill issue or something else.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭86,400
Pronouns
He/Him
I really liked it, and it got my to have a Iqiyi subscription. I liked the acting overall, but I can see how some thought the main lead didn't have the best chemistry. I quite like them, but at the same time I can see where others are coming from. Almost like they weren't fully committing, and some more of that was on Gongchan's side. Hard to tell though if it was an acting skill issue or something else.
Lack of chemistry is definitely rough. That's unfortunate. I know BL is the "get really famous fast" avenue now, but I wish the quality was better.

babyv004

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭60,895
I posted this in the OH when it was release some years ago but there is no harm in posting the Style Tour VCR of eunhyuk (super junior) here too for people that didnt saw it before

There is no way this can be seen as straight. Besides gay is quite BDSM :sneaky:

Last edited:

mimenet

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭615,600
Pronouns
He/Him
I posted this in the OH when it was release some years ago

If anyone wants to repost and/or link to any of their favorite posts from the OH thread feel free! If you want to post a link, try to find and link to the archived version on the Wayback Machine so it won't become dead when the site shuts down in a couple weeks.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭86,400
Pronouns
He/Him
If anyone wants to repost and/or link to any of their favorite posts from the OH thread feel free! If you want to post a link, try to find and link to the archived version on the Wayback Machine so it won't become dead when the site shuts down in a couple weeks.
Me who has no idea how to do that. Or access it but couldn't ask before. Lol.

mimenet

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭615,600
Pronouns
He/Him
Me who has no idea how to do that. Or access it but couldn't ask before. Lol.
I added links to the wayback machine archive in the OP of this thread. When you click the link it'll take you to the archive of the first page, you just have to choose a time stamp and it'll take you to the thread, then you have to manually enter the page number into the bar to get to the post you want. Since OH is still open for now, you can search things on there still to find them quickly. Once the site shuts down you won't really be able to search effectively with just the archived version.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭86,400
Pronouns
He/Him
I added links to the wayback machine archive in the OP of this thread. When you click the link it'll take you to the archive of the first page, you just have to choose a time stamp and it'll take you to the thread, then you have to manually enter the page number into the bar to get to the post you want. Since OH is still open for now, you can search things on there still to find them quickly. Once the site shuts down you won't really be able to search effectively with just the archived version.
Amazing! Thank you!

Top Bottom