The Gay and Queer in Kpop Thread

sooat

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,800
Pronouns
She/Her
I honestly have some thoughts of Lee Yi Kyung. I guess it's just a feeling, so nothing really representative, but it's the things he says and carries himself. He did have a girlfriend in the past but I think that was 9-10 years ago (publicly anyway).
I'm a little sus of him sometimes too

mimenet

chemical blue ocean Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭253,700
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello everyone:heartublob:
what is the general opinion about txt yeonjun? I think he's straight or bi
I see a lot of people who think he's bi but personally I feel like all his "sus" moments come across as very conscious and intentional in a way that makes me think he's just giving what fans want see. So imo he's straight but very comfortable with that aspect of his job. I don't think that's that uncommon of an interpretation from what I've seen.

Sergel

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭82,185
Hello everyone:heartublob:
what is the general opinion about txt yeonjun? I think he's straight or bi
Sometimes he reminds me a slight bit of Jaejoong, though can't point out why exactly. I think it's a case of ho I don't really feel either is gay orr even bi, but seem rather supportive and aware of it all.

I'd put YJ in the category of "likely hetero but wouldn't say no to kissing dudes" lol. I'd also say some other idols are like that, like SVT's DK and EVNNE's Yoo Seungeon
I'm a little sus of him sometimes too
What about him makes you wonder?

I only discovered him recently, first through the video with BSS.

I think just the way he holds onto Woo Jae while they're in the lobby made me curious. It's not much, especially in Korea, but it does show he's comfortable with physical touch.

I know many shipped him with Mijoo, but I kind of feel like they were just good friends, even the shippable moments. He also doesn't seem to do many romance movies or dramas, but that may be more career choices than personal preferences.

In all likelihood I'm wrong but I ponder.

Also how has no one posted Solar's MV yet? Here ya go.

I feel like when people talk about gaypop this is pretty close to it.

mimenet

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭253,700
Pronouns
He/Him

I enjoyed her anti-flirting with Chorong here yet somehow kind of wooing her anyway

Very stone butch meets lipstick lesbian of them tbh

Last edited:

seokqlr

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,400
Pronouns
she/her
Sometimes he reminds me a slight bit of Jaejoong, though can't point out why exactly. I think it's a case of ho I don't really feel either is gay orr even bi, but seem rather supportive and aware of it all.

I'd put YJ in the category of "likely hetero but wouldn't say no to kissing dudes" lol. I'd also say some other idols are like that, like SVT's DK and EVNNE's Yoo Seungeon

I only discovered him recently, first through the video with BSS.

I think just the way he holds onto Woo Jae while they're in the lobby made me curious. It's not much, especially in Korea, but it does show he's comfortable with physical touch.

I know many shipped him with Mijoo, but I kind of feel like they were just good friends, even the shippable moments. He also doesn't seem to do many romance movies or dramas, but that may be more career choices than personal preferences.

In all likelihood I'm wrong but I ponder.

lol i was about to say the same thing about yeonjun, ur so right !
def straight but he seems v in touch w both his masculine and his feminine side, i think hes just super into fashion and doesn't gaf about gender roles
he gives me the vibe of a straight guy that has a lot of gay friends, he seems v supportive

sooat

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,800
Pronouns
She/Her
I think it was just a feeling after watching marry my husband, but I didn't try to find much about him after that
woo jae also had some moments with noh sanghyun in a trip they did, you can notice in the short videos they posted

female idols always try to play safe so I love when they do songs/videos like this one, chungha is a good example with her song ''I'm ready''

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭62,500
Pronouns
He/Him
Someone talk to me about Hwang Minhyun. The OH consensus was bi with little likelihood of dating men. I believe.

Sergel

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭82,185
I think it was just a feeling after watching marry my husband, but I didn't try to find much about him after that
woo jae also had some moments with noh sanghyun in a trip they did, you can notice in the short videos they posted

female idols always try to play safe so I love when they do songs/videos like this one, chungha is a good example with her song ''I'm ready''
I didn't think much of Woo Jae but now I want to delve into him more lol.

Did fine this though.

I feel like female idols seem more daring than male idols, unless you have examples I haven't seen. It's still nice to see, and hopefully becomes more common. I do feel like Street Fighter has helped a bit.
Someone talk to me about Hwang Minhyun. The OH consensus was bi with little likelihood of dating men. I believe.
It's funny because when he was younger I'd say the same, but as he got older I felt like he just seems straight.

Since he's acting it'll probably be a moot point anyway though it's interesting to think about. I don't think any actors have come out even though I have some thoughts of some, who even Koreans think may be dating.

mimenet

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭253,700
Pronouns
He/Him
The name and members of the new PinkFantasy subunit about queer liberation has been announced.

Their name is ToThe6y and will have 3 PinkFantasy members (Arang, Momoka, and Miku) and the two members of the boy group TMC which features a former member of Apeace, Wonsik, alongside Seunghyuk. Apparently their group name is short for "Too many colors" which with this queer themed group context makes their already kind of flaming MV even more so. (They were also born in '91 and '89, making them easily the eldest "5th gen" idols if you can consider them that.)

It's a shame Yechan has left idoldom now because a queer liberation would definitely fit her very well lmao

TMC's previous MV

Last edited:

mimenet

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭253,700
Pronouns
He/Him
Be sure to read H+ interview with Lionesses! They are so passionate and what the talk about within the industry is super interesting.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭62,500
Pronouns
He/Him
It's funny because when he was younger I'd say the same, but as he got older I felt like he just seems straight.

Since he's acting it'll probably be a moot point anyway though it's interesting to think about. I don't think any actors have come out even though I have some thoughts of some, who even Koreans think may be dating.
Is it because he's no longer interacting with his members? Or has his person changed in general?

It's harder to find receipts on actors, but they're there. Why is it moot? Why would any actors come out unless they didn't want to work in Korea anymore?

Sergel

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭82,185
Is it because he's no longer interacting with his members? Or has his person changed in general?

It's harder to find receipts on actors, but they're there. Why is it moot? Why would any actors come out unless they didn't want to work in Korea anymore?
He just seems a bit more reserved as he became older, so it makes it harder to really discern. He mentioned something during produce about one of the contestants being very affectionate with him, and he wasn’t sure if it was just because he was young, which did make me wonder if he feels things like physical affection lessen with age (he’s not the first to say that).

Though it’s been 12 years so I may have missed things. And I think all of nuest seems rather supportive.

I suppose for actors it’s not a moot point, but it feels like it’s much harder to really see how they express themselves compared to singers, dancer, and even variety stars. Reasons being:

1. They don’t have chances to show their own personality and creative control as much. A singer could write lyrics, help direct the MV, or choose queer artists, but since acting projects can have so many more parts not under the actor’s control it’s harder to gauge their views.

2. Because romance is such a big genre, it feels like it will be much rarer for an actor to even come out even if it was more accepted. I kind of see this in Japan and Western countries. Actors do come out, but it feels much rarer than other entertainment industries. Could be inaccurate in that though.

That said….i actually have some thoughts on some actors and movie stars lol. I’ll have to share when I have more time though.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭62,500
Pronouns
He/Him
He just seems a bit more reserved as he became older, so it makes it harder to really discern. He mentioned something during produce about one of the contestants being very affectionate with him, and he wasn’t sure if it was just because he was young, which did make me wonder if he feels things like physical affection lessen with age (he’s not the first to say that).

Though it’s been 12 years so I may have missed things. And I think all of nuest seems rather supportive.

I suppose for actors it’s not a moot point, but it feels like it’s much harder to really see how they express themselves compared to singers, dancer, and even variety stars. Reasons being:

1. They don’t have chances to show their own personality and creative control as much. A singer could write lyrics, help direct the MV, or choose queer artists, but since acting projects can have so many more parts not under the actor’s control it’s harder to gauge their views.

2. Because romance is such a big genre, it feels like it will be much rarer for an actor to even come out even if it was more accepted. I kind of see this in Japan and Western countries. Actors do come out, but it feels much rarer than other entertainment industries. Could be inaccurate in that though.

That said….i actually have some thoughts on some actors and movie stars lol. I’ll have to share when I have more time though.
I feel like the reserved-ness is the lack of fan service. Idols are kinda obligated to play that side up unless you get in there early with a savage personality (kyungsoo). And there's less formality with groups, so more they get more comfortable.

1. I really want to agree with you! I guess I just can't seem to bring to mind that many instances of certified creative control being an indication of queerness. Like the old thread used to bring every mv that used blue, pink, and purple lights into the ring as receipts. Jonghyun is a yes. I feel like there are so few artists that have enough control to say anything also. Even Ten and Key have "girl" sprinkled throughout their discographies.

2. I'll agree with this one. In the West, it feels like fewer actors are coming out partially because some of them are now entering the industry already out which I love, but artists are definitely better able to hold a fan base once publicly on the spectrum.

The thing I've noticed, specifically, with idols who become actors (at least male), is that they all make that transition from more open to closed. Eunwoo, Rowoon, Jinyoung. Minhyun. It's part of the leading man package. Haha. You gotta look past it.

mimenet

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭253,700
Pronouns
He/Him
Anyone have much thoughts on the 5th gen boy groups so far that aren't ZB1?

I've been following Boynextdoor a bit and I've gotta say they've got no queer vibes at all. Jihoon from TWS has a very gay boy, effeminate way of carrying himself but he's pretty young so it might just be something he grows out of but he's the only one in the group who pings at all. Riize are hard for me to get a read on even though they seem a lot less manufactured than most SM groups tend to be in their early days.

I fear we might be leaving the days of 4th gen where most groups had at least one member who seems a bit obvious about it, or who at least is marketed that way by their agency.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭62,500
Pronouns
He/Him

I've been following Boynextdoor a bit and I've gotta say they've got no queer vibes at all. Jihoon from TWS has a very gay boy, effeminate way of carrying himself but he's pretty young so it might just be something he grows out of but he's the only one in the group who pings at all. Riize are hard for me to get a read on even though they seem a lot less manufactured than most SM groups tend to be in their early days.

I fear we might be leaving the days of 4th gen where most groups had at least one member who seems a bit obvious about it, or who at least is marketed that way by their agency.
If we're disregarding all the gays planet plants, maybe DKB? A few of those boys give vibes. And like half of nine.i.

Last edited:

seokqlr

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,400
Pronouns
she/her

i dont really know too much about riize but from what ive seen anton has always pinged me a lot

Sergel

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭82,185
I feel like the reserved-ness is the lack of fan service. Idols are kinda obligated to play that side up unless you get in there early with a savage personality (kyungsoo). And there's less formality with groups, so more they get more comfortable.

1. I really want to agree with you! I guess I just can't seem to bring to mind that many instances of certified creative control being an indication of queerness. Like the old thread used to bring every mv that used blue, pink, and purple lights into the ring as receipts. Jonghyun is a yes. I feel like there are so few artists that have enough control to say anything also. Even Ten and Key have "girl" sprinkled throughout their discographies.

2. I'll agree with this one. In the West, it feels like fewer actors are coming out partially because some of them are now entering the industry already out which I love, but artists are definitely better able to hold a fan base once publicly on the spectrum.

The thing I've noticed, specifically, with idols who become actors (at least male), is that they all make that transition from more open to closed. Eunwoo, Rowoon, Jinyoung. Minhyun. It's part of the leading man package. Haha. You gotta look past it.
With Ten and Key I wonder how much the lyrics are because of SM. Some lyrics they write themselves though.

I'm curious about what about Minhyun makes you feel like he is bi.

Top Bottom