2016 GGs: who survived?

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
We’re going further back in time. From what I learned from 2017, at this point it’s more remarkable if a group is still active than not.

If the group still had a MV in 2020/2021, I will post it here.
As in the posts about 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020, feel free to add information or correct. I do these partly to learn more about Kpop groups and am by no means an expert in nugu GGs, like some of you😀 I did (re)discover some groups because of these threads, so hopefully you'll find something to your liking as well.

CocoSoRI

They year started with a duo that would become mired in scandal. What I noticed with other groups was that the issues are often with the agency, not necessarily with other members, but that was not the case here. There were issues between the members as well, surrounding the difference of attention they got in their solo work. So no, they are not together anymore.

Bloomy

Have been inactive since 2017.

Wable

Two sisters who debuted under one agency and continued with another. They still post content such as covers etc on their youtube channel. I don’t see any MVs though

WJSN/Cosmic Girls

They are quite well known amongst Kpop fans, but I don’t really know much about them. They’re still active and have quite a few subunits that release music too.

Mercury

They gained some interest partly because they had a transgender member, but unfortunately they haven't been active in a while, even though they still hung out after they stopped promoting. Thanks @Chococo for pointing them out :)

Matilda

They disbanded in 2019 after their contracts expired.

Bolbbalgan4/Bol4

This used to be a duo. One of the members left, but the other keeps the name and is still active

Coda Bridge

This duo is still active! No MV, but I'll add this song anyway. Thanks @Chococo

MIXX

They disbanded in 2017. The Chinese members went back to China amidst political issues:

https://www.businessinsider.com/chi...le-system-2017-3?international=true&r=US&IR=T

O21

Disbanded for the same issue as MIXX, it seems.

I.O.I.

Formed through an Mnet survival show, I.O.I. really took off. Though it was a temporary group, it's still quite influential as the members moved to their own groups, giving them a boost in popularity. @Nara thanks for the reminder :)

Gugudan

As you might now, they just disbanded :(. There were rumours for a while that their agency didn’t treat them well.

A.De

They have been inactive since 2017, so probably disbanded.

Blackpink

In your area 🎶 Do I need to introduce these ladies? ;)

Dorothy

Got a bit confused as someone uploaded vids from ‘Dorothy’ in 2020, but seems they disbanded in 2017 after members leaving.

Highteen

Nothing recent. One member posted something about meeting a former fellow member, so they probably disbanded.

OhBliss

Don’t see activity after 2017

Bulldok

They went on hiatus in 2018 and then disbanded.

Momoland

Of course Momoland had a very big hit and are well known amongst Kpop fans. They never got back that level, but are still active on a midtier level.

I found fewer groups than in the later years. Perhaps because Kpop wasn’t as big yet and there wasn’t as much money to be made. Up until about this point, it had been just Big3 groups that had made most noise abroad. It was before the time when even nugus could go abroad and hold concerts.

The pattern is kind of the same in one way: there were quite a few groups that didn’t stay active much after debut and quietly disbanded.
It's different from the others in another way: there is one massive group, one group with a big hit that is still well-known, a midtier group and then mostly nugus. This while 2017, for instance, didn't bring forward groups with such big mega hits.
I already checked for 2015 and the pattern is different there again. Quite funny to see :)

Bonus: Wable cover of Dynamite

Last edited:

Chococo

your local superheroine Social Media
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,368,678
Lovely thread!

Bloomy's Geunyonug and Daru formed a duo E.RUDA back in 2018 :D

5/7 of A.DE had a reunion last year sans Haeyoung and Chiyoon ^^

Which also brings me that 3/5 of Bulldok almost redebuted with a girl group PEACE back in 2019, but also disbanded because the company went bankrupt. They released one song Yallacha with a new member Yurim. Sora, Say and Hyeongeun reunited together.

Some O21 girls were in Produce 101 season 1. Highteen's Jessica was set to feature in Idol School, but she left before the first episode aired. She reunited with her girlies in 2019 and posted it as a YouTube. The girls are still super close!

One of my favorite duos Coda Bridge debuted in 2016. They are amazing and super underrated. :D

Chococo

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,368,678
Also, I just remembered that Matilda's Semmi was recently in Miss Trot season 2 too :D

Also there's Holics who also debuted in 2016 and are still active to this day. Holics are actually rebranding themselves with 4 new members! Blooming Project~

And also felt like should mention Mercury who had a trans member Hanbit.

They recently had a reunion too!

Lilac

fearless of adventure Third Place HoE Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,520,658
I thought of I.O.I at first but sadly (and inevitably) they disbanded

Momoland could have taken off after one of 2018's biggest hits 'Bboom Bboom', but company managed them terribly afterwards. their subsequent track 'Baam' sounded a lot like Bboom Bboom so general public didn't like it as much.

I would still think that they are mid to mid-high tier within GGs, and hope they can rise again :sanapray:

Chococo

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,368,678

Momoland could have taken off after one of 2018's biggest hits 'Bboom Bboom', but company managed them terribly afterwards. their subsequent track 'Baam' sounded a lot like Bboom Bboom so general public didn't like it as much.

I would still think that they are mid to mid-high tier within GGs, and hope they can rise again :sanapray:
I believe that Momoland can rise too! I am trying to stay positive about them because I like them and honestly their B-sides are very underrated. Most of the people notice them musically for their title songs.

Think the biggest problem that came up was the mismanagement of the group. It also didn't help their case what happened with Daisy, and how Taeha and Yeonwoo left the group. It made people be very wary and mistrustful. What I liked about this more recent comeback, is that their company kept on promoting the group as a whole instead of selecting just a few more popular members.

Last edited:

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050

Thank you. I added I.O.I. :)
This makes me want to listen to them again.
I believe that Momoland can rise too! I am trying to stay positive about them because I like them and honestly their B-sides are very underrated. Most of the people notice them musically for their title songs.

Think the biggest problem that came up was the mismanagement of the group. It also didn't help their case what happened with Daisy, and how Taeha and Yeonwoo left the group. It made people be very wary and mistrustful. What I liked about this more recent comeback, is that their company kept on promoting the group as a whole instead of selecting just a few more popular members.
It always hurts a group when people leave. They might lose people who stan the whole group or them in particular and might make potential new fans hesitant to stan.
I'll check out their B-sides 🎶
Any recs are welcome.

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭349,150
2016, we are into the core of the 3rd gen and I'm less familiar with.

CocoSori : Reminded me the weird concept with OC and Crayon Pop. Sadly it ended badly for the duo after some drama.

Matilda : Semmi and Dana almost made it to the final group in The Unit, ending 13th and 14th. Then the group kinda disappeared before disbanding. I was gladly surprise to see Semmi on Miss Trot 2.

Bolbbalgan4 : The name was hard to write and pronounce, so BOL4 made it easier. Jiyoon left later the duo, leaving Jiyoung as a soloist. Both didn't really talked to each other about their feelings that's why we had some mini-drama between both members later. Fans also noticed how Jiyoon was overshadowed by Jiyoung, ignored by fans, and more.
However BOL4 is a digital monster in Korea.

Gugudan : Many factors lead to their downfall and their disbandment two weeks ago. Of course their label didn't manage them well overrall.
Bad generic debut song, Sejeong and Mina being pulled out of IOI promotions and being overworked when they were in both groups.
"Too many members" was one of the comments I came over when reading articles. Sejeong became really too big for the group, other members were overshadowed, even Mina.
Their "chapter" concept was interesting, leading them to have various concepts BUT it didn't help to build a signature sound or some consistency.

Momoland : Saved by Bboom Bboom and with other factors like Jooe's past videos, her Tropicana CFs, Nancy with Philippines thanks to her ressemblance with a local superstar, Yeonwoo's visual, having members who can speak English and Chinese. They promoted 10 WEEKS on music shows.

Sadly their label couldn't take advantage of the situation. In 2018 many members ended sick, injured, promoting as 8, 7, 6 and even 5 members I think.
No idea why Taeha, Daisy and Yeonwoo left the group later. Taeha was their main vocal and best vocalist, Daisy was liked among international fans and Yeonwoo was a stan attractor. So it didn't help.

Nowadays Taeha had a YT channel, she was on Miss Trot but got eliminated quickly when you have contestants who sang awfully who made it.
Daisy opened her IG account with her sister, due to legal reasons she can't open one only for herself.
Yeonwoo got some gigs and we can sometimes find her in some videos, she's doing fine I guess.

I didn't hear any of the less known groups.

No comment about Blackpink and WJSN, one if the top GG worldwide, the other is doing okay.
And IOI the "what if" group

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
2016, we are into the core of the 3rd gen and I'm less familiar with.

CocoSori : Reminded me the weird concept with OC and Crayon Pop. Sadly it ended badly for the duo after some drama.

Matilda : Semmi and Dana almost made it to the final group in The Unit, ending 13th and 14th. Then the group kinda disappeared before disbanding. I was gladly surprise to see Semmi on Miss Trot 2.

Bolbbalgan4 : The name was hard to write and pronounce, so BOL4 made it easier. Jiyoon left later the duo, leaving Jiyoung as a soloist. Both didn't really talked to each other about their feelings that's why we had some mini-drama between both members later. Fans also noticed how Jiyoon was overshadowed by Jiyoung, ignored by fans, and more.
However BOL4 is a digital monster in Korea.

Gugudan : Many factors lead to their downfall and their disbandment two weeks ago. Of course their label didn't manage them well overrall.
Bad generic debut song, Sejeong and Mina being pulled out of IOI promotions and being overworked when they were in both groups.
"Too many members" was one of the comments I came over when reading articles. Sejeong became really too big for the group, other members were overshadowed, even Mina.
Their "chapter" concept was interesting, leading them to have various concepts BUT it didn't help to build a signature sound or some consistency.

Momoland : Saved by Bboom Bboom and with other factors like Jooe's past videos, her Tropicana CFs, Nancy with Philippines thanks to her ressemblance with a local superstar, Yeonwoo's visual, having members who can speak English and Chinese. They promoted 10 WEEKS on music shows.

Sadly their label couldn't take advantage of the situation. In 2018 many members ended sick, injured, promoting as 8, 7, 6 and even 5 members I think.
No idea why Taeha, Daisy and Yeonwoo left the group later. Taeha was their main vocal and best vocalist, Daisy was liked among international fans and Yeonwoo was a stan attractor. So it didn't help.

Nowadays Taeha had a YT channel, she was on Miss Trot but got eliminated quickly when you have contestants who sang awfully who made it.
Daisy opened her IG account with her sister, due to legal reasons she can't open one only for herself.
Yeonwoo got some gigs and we can sometimes find her in some videos, she's doing fine I guess.

I didn't hear any of the less known groups.

No comment about Blackpink and WJSN, one if the top GG worldwide, the other is doing okay.
And IOI the "what if" group

Bolbbalgan4: have to say I was a bit confused about the name and how to spell it. Didn't know about the mini drama either

Gugudan: It's really sad. Hopefully some members can redebut somewhere else, if they want.
I hope the Izone agencies learned from some of the mistakes made after I.O.I. disbanded at least.

Momoland : Thanks for all the information. Reading the comments about them here, it seems like people are quite attached to them. They still have a chance. Queendom II could work really well for them. Even casual Kpop fans might go: "Oh, that's those girls, let me check it out"

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭349,150
Bolbbalgan4: have to say I was a bit confused about the name and how to spell it. Didn't know about the mini drama either

Gugudan: It's really sad. Hopefully some members can redebut somewhere else, if they want.
I hope the Izone agencies learned from some of the mistakes made after I.O.I. disbanded at least.

Momoland : Thanks for all the information. Reading the comments about them here, it seems like people are quite attached to them. They still have a chance. Queendom II could work really well for them. Even casual Kpop fans might go: "Oh, that's those girls, let me check it out"

To add to Momoland :

They reached the good moment to blow up, when Kpop finally started to become more known and more spreaded in the world. Even if they won't never experience being at the top again people and fans will remember Bboom Bboom for at least a decade. The same way old fans and Kpop still remember Bar Bar Bar.

Bboom Bboom MV is at 480M right now, I don't think they are many groups who can boast about that. Momoland may not be the same anymore but they shine once and enough to be remembered for a long time.

"One hit wonder" ? I'll take it !

The group also got hate with that popularity and short fame. The sajaegi accusation, Nancy especially is the main target for almost everything.

I thought they would be more groups who debuted in 2016 :unsure:

kimsguardian

🄳🄾🄾🅁🚪 Sixth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,439,420
Pronouns
He/Him
the only group who debuted in 2016 but still managed to survives in my thoughtful are Bol4 & MMLD.
they came from nowhere, but still doing well regadless the scandals they had, Bol4 as one of the digital monster in SK while MMLD one of a few kpop gg who brings trot to the world.
BP & WJSN?
ofc they're doing more than okay, they came from such a big company. that's must be what everyone's thinking.

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
I only know of Blackpink from that list and none of the others I have even vaguely heard of.
Hope you'll find some music of them you like :)

I would check out the following at least (see the views ). This was a huge hit and part of Kpop history.
If you're interested, maybe you can open a thread asking for recommendations. Some people here know a lot and are like Kpop encyclopedias :D

Last edited:

MedicationHelps87

Bi Racial Ruler Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,500,501
Pronouns
He/Him
Hope you'll find some music of them you like :)

I would check out the following at least (see the views ). This was a huge hit and part of Kpop history.
If you're interested, maybe you can open a thread asking for recommendations. Some people here know a lot and are like Kpop encyclopedias :D

I liked that video from Momoland a lot :)
And I should do.

Always nice to seek a second opinion on groups I am unfamiliar with.

Top Bottom