aespa Official Thread | #GIRLS

itzy

Trainee Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭204,385
I was really counting on SM to deliver a big group with multiple strong vocalists, I feel like they're the only company who've ever really provided that and it's infuriating to see them waste all those resources on this AI gimmick...
You have to consider how much Kpop has changed throughout the years. SM's clearly marketing Aespa for the US, hence the Western stage names and smaller lineup. SM doesn't need a big girl group with a cute concept to garner attention as we've learnt from groups like Blackpink who've made it bigger than any Kpop girl group before them in the US.

AstroBaby

Trainee
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭520,400
i dunno i’m not really surprised by the 3 western names so far considering snsd fx & rv all have at least 3 members with western stage names
Yeah they're basically the same as RV and f(x) in terms of the ratio of western names although tbh I did expect Aeri to keep her name in line with: Yuri, Sulli, Yeri, Seulgi...but ig they decided against it for whatever reason. If there are actually more member there will probably be more asian names.

She

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭53,550
You have to consider how much Kpop has changed throughout the years. SM's clearly marketing Aespa for the US, hence the Western stage names and smaller lineup. SM doesn't need a big girl group with a cute concept to garner attention as we've learnt from groups like Blackpink who've made it bigger than any Kpop girl group before them in the US.
The general US public is going to hate the concept though, surely? It seems like something that'd appeal to Japan and Japan likes big groups.

IDK everything just seems all over the place.

Either way, I hope we get an end to the Western validation train at some point... but probably not.

Benu

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭88,709
Yeah they're basically the same as RV and f(x) in terms of the ratio of western names although tbh I did expect Aeri to keep her name in line with: Yuri, Sulli, Yeri, Seulgi...but ig they decided against it for whatever reason. If there are actually more member there will probably be more asian names.
It was for the best, since Aeri both sounds like the name of the group, and the EXO fandom

AstroBaby

Trainee
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭520,400
than why has SM's strategy for bgs to only make them bigger? why wasn't Superm only 4 boys? why not market the group that already has a smaller lineup, western names, and is musically directly inspired by pop ggs darlings like destiny's child? why focus on international fans when sm is already making $ from them with nct when exo with their mega-asian fandom is what they're gonna lose soon with their contracts running out? idk it doesn't make sense to me...

dayeon_you

demian world domination
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,725
i really don't like his choreographies

i dont like hylt or ice cream choreo........ but he claims to have not done the pretty savage choreo (which is the worst one of all) and has also done feel special, not shy, i can't stop me and somi's choreos which r all not bad..... we might be safe

dnb

Supporting Table Unnie Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,636,866

It's starting to look like for Aespa, SM is following the Blackpink blueprint rather than the SNSD blueprint.

why not market the group that already has a smaller lineup, western names, and is musically directly inspired by pop ggs darlings like destiny's child?

I love Red Velvet's music, but they are not considered one of the top tier groups when it comes to rapping and hip-hop. So maybe that's SM's target area for the new group.

The descriptions of the Aespa members consistently mention "rapper" more prominently than "vocalist" even though we know Ningning can really sing.

[Added the following in edit.]

So let me dig this hole some more while I'm at it.

Having a BP-style NGG would also explain two things.

1. It would now make sense why all those longtime trainees left. SM started looking for rappers and hip-hop performers.

2. At least two of the new members are (allegedly) Blinks. Coincidence? Maybe not.

Last edited:

SwolMingyu

☾ #1 Meanie Stan ☾ Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭199,740
I would have to disagree, if SM wanted a girl group to be marketable in the US they already had one in the form of RV, the demand was high for them already. Debuting a new girl group just to move them into the West is a risk they should realize is too dangerous. Also the Western stage names doesn't mean much when they have the same amount of english names as all of SM's other girl groups. F(x) has 4, SNSD and RV have 3 just like our girls

AstroBaby

Trainee
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭520,400
I love Red Velvet's music, but they are not considered one of the top tier groups when it comes to rapping and hip-hop. So maybe that's SM's target area for the new group.

The descriptions of the Aespa members consistently mention "rapper" more prominently than "vocalist" even though we know Ningning can really sing.

[Added the following in edit.]

So let me dig this hole some more while I'm at it.

Having a BP-style NGG would also explain two things.

1. It would now make sense why all those longtime trainees left. SM started looking for rappers and hip-hop performers.

2. At least two of the new members are (allegedly) Blinks. Coincidence? Maybe not.
No offense to any of them but general western audiences will never be impressed by kpop rappers not when we have actual rappers who extremely talented and are free to discuss anything in their music compared to a sm gg who will at most be able to diss haters. Also what interest there is can already be filled by their main competitors Itzy as well as bhngg, and maybe ygngg. Two of these companies have better rap training but none have comparable vocals, so why lean against their strength? Vocals are just as popular (and sorely needed) in the west as anywhere else.

I mentioned way back in this thread that I did want a skilled rapper to continue the new legacy started by Mark but these girls don't seem to be that from what we know of them. Ningning is obviously a vocalist, Aeri did musical theater/choir before so also a vocalist, Jimin did vocals and dance and is a fan of other vocalists like Taeyeon and IU, and Winter was also introduced as a vocalist as well...so none of them seem like they'd be super passionate about rapping in the same way but maybe Jimin will prove me wrong idk. I don't want to judge too much until the song is released.

AstroBaby

Trainee
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭520,400

hmm they deleted it

This is basically the same rumor posted by a different account a while back (the tweet is also deleted) saying that the group was originally big and then they changed it to 4 last minute and they plan to debut another bigger gg in 2021...I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now although I'm slightly more inclined than before considering how wild everything's been. But the fact that they said Winter only trained for a short time when we know that's not true brings me back to not believing it-

Top Bottom