The Gay and Queer in Kpop Thread

sooat

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,600
Pronouns
She/Her
Oh really? Maybe I should hear him talk about it instead.

He was in Sweet Home and was really fun. If you like horror (I don't find it scary but a bit gory), it's great.

I'm trying to think if any other actors popped up on my radar lately.
I'm planning on watching sweet home now since they released the last season

yeah, I can't think of any other actor now, they are harder to analyze

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,200
Irene and the Pride Flag Colors on International Lesbian Visibility Day
GOBJW-saIAAWJzv

1 Page of IRENE - Trip
12:00 AM · Apr 26, 2024 KST, renebaebae

That’s shirt is Muscle Top, Pink Floyd Airbrush 1973. That’s a gay shirt y’all. There’s 6 colors of 🏳️‍🌈 pinted on it, not rainbow coz rainbow has 7 colors😭
— ThinkAboutWan (@yerm_hiiiii) April 26, 2024

Just wanted to let you know that this post was published on April 26th which is also Lesbian Day of Visibility

"At 1 page of IRENE, there are four themes, comprised of Home, Silhouette, Water, and Trip. If you see here, this is Home. It felt like home so I called it home and Silhouette. This one is Silhouette. I like silhouette shadows. Silhouette I think means my inner self. There is the moon, which I like and the ocean over there. It's filled with ocean ripples too. The third theme, trip. This one! (Looks good, right?) Trip portrays myself apart from my normal life like a free soul. Lastly, there is water. I used to be afraid of water but I overcame that fear a bit. It represents my challenge. The photos represent my taking on challenges and things like these."
— '1 Page of IRENE' Meet and Greet Event (Red Velvet Irene Bae) May 3, 2024

Last edited:
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,200
Last edited:

mimenet

chemical blue ocean Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭533,200
Pronouns
He/Him
hi everyone! i wasnt on the old thread so im not sure what people’s thoughts were on this group back then (im also not sure how to navigate the archived link 😭), but im interested in if any members of seventeen set off your gaydar. i think hoshi’s the most popular choice as of late but vernon gives me huuuuuuge bisexual vibes. there are a couple more members im suspicious of but i’d like to hear your guys’ thoughts first!
Welcome! I hope you stick around here.

We've talked about Hoshi a bit already in this thread but not much with anybody else.

Personally I'm definitely Minghao bi truther. That ancient livestream where Hoshi baits him to give his ideal type for men and Minghao casually does it locked me in on him a long time ago. I think it's worth acknowledging that Seungkwan and Jeonghan start doing damage control while Minghao doesn't really do anything to clarify. He's been lightly exploring some more androgynous styling lately but I get them impression that he's long decided to keep those personal aspects of himself private.

Jun definitely likes to flirt with men. You put him in a room with another chinese dude and he immediately starts rizzing them. If anyone remembers his and Minghao's time on the collaboration you'd have an idea of what I mean. In some of their old content he definitely seems very shy around girls though so personally I think he might be bi.

Seungkwan has some very gay mannerisms, his relationship with things like girl groups and women's volleyball read very gay, and at least in the past he used to be pretty jumpy about any gay insinuation (ie the clip I linked for Minghao). He has an infamous limp wrist (that clip of Hoshi imitating him and doing the shadiest limp wrist ever was insane). But at the end of the day, none of this actually means he is gay. There really isn't much of him expressing interest in men and while it's understandable to just follow a stereotype, it doesn't definitively mean it's true and comparative to some other idols he seems sort of cagey about being perceived that way.

Seungcheol has that old verse where he calls himself bisexual but I could see this being some awkward rap writing that he didn't neccessarily intend to be taken as literal. There's also an old clip of him dancing really slutty against Mingyu. Other than that and the general married-ness of him and Jeonghan, he doesn't ping much in current day for me.

Wonwoo reads very het. It did seem like he was kind of enjoying making Keria squirm when they met but they also argue over which one of them likes NewJeans the most in that same video in a painfully het way.

Vernon is interesting because he's a very masc presenting dude but not at all in a bro way if you know what I mean. His friend circle (Jamie/Woodz/Kino/Nathan/etc) kind of have a queer friends vibe to them. I can't see him as gay but I could buy bi from him.

There's a lot of people who Mingyu pings for but I don't see it at all so I won't speak on him. Joshua as well but I also don't see it. I don't think I've ever seen anyone seeing Seokmin as anything but straight especially post his thirst trap era. Woozi is het but I could buy ace. I've gotten a little vibe from Chan before but I think it's just my wishful thinking lmao

jocjoc

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,300
Pronouns
They/them
This is from the oooooooold OH thread but I still agree with a lot of these about SVT till this day tbh especially Dino lmaoooo. When it comes to Mingyu I think it's just because he had bulked up and his image has also been polished because he's carrying a lot of luxury brands so people don't see it nowadays but back when they just debuted he was literally part of the gay trio of the group. Also if we go by friends circle as proof Mingyu was the closest to Kibum out of svt so there's that. (and speaking of Kibum it also reminds me of Mingyu insisting to play Gaga's part in A Star is Born and Seungkwan just went along playing Bradley's role 😭)
S.coups: Could be straight, could be bi but I'm personally leaning towards straight. His past interactions with Jeonghan and Woozi are def a little sus but can be arguably seen as mostly playful as they always happen in a fanservice/brotherly context (though I don't follow him as closely as some of the other members so I might be wrong on that one). He has so much fondness for his team and can get very giggly and flustered when there's any show of affection between them, despite being an avid 'complimenter' himself. At the very least, he's not afraid to call a man sexy 10× in a row (+ wrote some questionable lyrics predebut which we must not forget).
Jeonghan: Straight. While being no stranger to skinship as the resident fondler of the group, I don't think I've ever seen him express genuine attraction towards a man, or anyone really now that I think about it. Used to be very flirty in their early days due to the image the company gave him, but has long since abandoned that label and now only flirts with his closest friends: Joshua, Coups and DK (though he treats DK more like a little brother than anything). With that said, Jeonghan's extremely introverted and likes to keep personal matters away from fans so I never got a good read on him. Either way he does an amazing job playing up the 'I only got eyes for carats' shtick.
Joshua: An enigma. Very good at concealing his emotions, which is why while I haven't seen him act too suspiciously with the other members (sans Jeonghan and maybe hoshi) I can't say he's 100% straight. This ability to appear completely neutral might be attributed to his religious background but I don't like to speculate on it too much since I know almost nothing about his family. It's important to note though that I only ever hear him talking about his mother (which some of the members have met on their own and who's also apparently friends with Wonwoo's mom) but never his dad.
Jun: Very gay and very blatant. I used to think he was bi cause he's super shy around girls, but after reading the opinions of other people on this thread I think this can be chalked up to him being extremely sheltered as a kid. In Chinese, he's a grade-A master of seduction, and in Korean he's an outright disasterous gay mess who is equal parts flirty and awkward at all times. How he chooses to express himself (whether it be the songs he covers or the profound things he says sometimes) clearly points to some struggles with identity. And while this too can be chalked up to him being sheltered as a kid, I believe a big reason for it is his sexuality.
Hoshi: Horny™ and also a raging bi king. From his recent single release and 'touch' to him constantly groping/flirting with the members and trying to kiss DK while drunk, he's shown me no other signs other than being a very loud bisexual™. I can't even list the members he's had suspicious moments with cause he pretty much flirts with everything that moves. I guess a few notable mentions would be: Woozi, DK, Mingyu - the latter two being very active participants in his shenanigans. He's also shown clear attraction to men outside of svt, has gushed over other idols and actors + talked in length about how exactly he would like to kiss his girlfriend and how big of a family he's planning to have and so much more. In short: a self aware king who knows what he wants.
Wonwoo: Straight but likely very open minded and chill. Used to be touchy with Mingyu predebut and while they're still good friends and clearly like each other a lot, I think most of the supposed attraction fans saw came from Mingyu, who is all around a very flirty and tactile person (and gay). People shipping them both def made them not want to interact for a while, which is pretty sad but I don't think it's because Wonwoo is homophobic, just an introvert with a good sense of boundaries. He's very thoughtful + he's most close to members like Seungkwan, Vernon and Mingyu (and Dino, the #1 heterosexual™) so I can't see him being bigoted in any way shape or form. In any case, besides his and Mingyu's relationship, I haven't noticed anything suspicious about his behavior but I'll gladly accept being corrected on this one.
Woozi: Straight and used to be very inexperienced with women which is why so many people get ace vibes from him. In recent years though he's relaxed a lot more and became considerably open and carefree around topics like love and affection (in regards to members too) which I assume has to do with him gaining more relationship experience. He's able to laugh at himself now, where previously he had a lot of hurt pride and was probably a bit embarrassed about a few things. and while this doesn't usually mean much imo, the fact he acts the most macho/'manliest' out of all of the the svt members but isn't shy anymore about showing his caring side to them makes me think he's developed a strong sense of self and is also def not homophobic like some people have speculated. Took some work to reach this point though.
DK:Straight? But an extremely sensitive and sweet soul. Quite oblivious tbh, considering the amount of attention he gets from the mlm members, or maybe he just really doesn't mind being like that with other guys. Which raises some questions, but as he's talked about his attraction to women several times and the members themselves have teased him about awkward interactions he's had with girls, I'm pretty confident in saying he's straight. Probably still lets Hoshi kiss him when he's drunk though lmao.
Mingyu: Gay, or at the very least bi with a strong attraction to men. Aside from being very flamboyant, his interests are also curious. He likes anything creative like fashion and art, which is something he shares with Minghao (a fellow artsy queer) and has also created a mascot for their team that he said was genderless. He's the so called clean freak of seventeen and is comfortable doing tasks that are considered womanly like chores and cooking (which I'm aware is a bit of a stereotype but one which I feel is still relevant esp in a more conservative society like S. Korea). He's flirty/touchy with Seungkwan, Hoshi (and at a certain point, Jeonghan) and gets excited/giggly seeing the members engage in fanservice. While Mingyu is quite comfortable with a handful of svt members, the way he and Seungkwan interact is a level beyond all of his other connections imo. They know everything about each other (more than Mingyu's same-age friends) and are always bickering/cuddling, more so than the other members, which to me indicates that they have a special bond, something they distinctly share. Something like not being straight perhaps…
(btw I feel like the only reason Jun isn't included in this golden trio of gays is because he's not as outgoing/chatty as the other two and would probably have a rough time trying to keep up with them lol)
The8: Bi, pan or a really great ally, I'm not sure. close to Mingyu, Vernon, Hoshi, Joshua and Jun who all ping me like crazy. His relationship with Mingyu in particular is interesting (they give me artsy gay bfs vibes) and he has said a lot of things in the past that can be interpreted in interesting ways. Went with Vernon to watch Hedwig and the Angry Inch, has shown interest in experimenting with gender expression through fashion and other means + a lot more tbh. He likes to separate his personal life from his work as he takes it very seriously, and always makes sure to let his fans know he's not planning on dating them, but I clearly remember seeing him being flirty with girls (Kyulkyung is one I can def affirm) so while I think he might be queer, there's a strong chance he's also attracted to women.
Seungkwan: 1000% gay. I don't understand how anyone can say he's never shown any attraction to men. Maybe it's because he's my bias (and not as popular as the other members) so most of my attention is focused on him, but there are so many moments I can count where he was checking out members (not to mention other idols), trying to kiss them or touch them (in particular DK, Mingyu and Vernon). He used to get very flustered at acts of fanservice, too, but this past two years I've only seen him react on that level when Vernon flirts back with him. and they do that a lot more casually than before, mind you, but I'll talk about their relationship some other time maybe. As for his music taste which has been discussed quite a bit, I'm more than happy to announce that by both western and Korean standards his favorite artists are all considered more or less gay icons in their respective industries. When svt performed on immortal songs he literally called Uhm Junghwa the unmatched glamorous queen of kpop (I think he even said queen in English) and confessed to liking her music since he was very young. Aside from that just look at his We Remember Kpop playlist, almost all of the songs are of girl groups and quite a few of them are really obscure girl groups at that (Kara, Orange Caramel, GG, Wonder Girls, After School etc but also Secret, 9muses and Chiri Chiri) and female soloists (IU, BoA). The male artists he featured were Beast, Infinite, BtoB and those whose songs he practiced predebut. On his second We Remember Kpop ep fans even begged him to play some boy group songs after thirty minutes of only listening to female artists and he said 'fine fine but I don't think that's gonna happen' though eventually he did lmao. Not to mention Mingyu is his gay bff and they're so lovey dovey with each other it's disgusting. Hoshi is also his biggest rival, which is highly appropriate considering how overt he is with his overflowing bisexuality/queerness while seungkwan can be really sensitive and has a tendency to get pouty and defensive when teased lol. Finally, I think he was and still is madly in love with Vernon, and while I don't want to go all delulu shipper on you guys I do believe they have something very special between them and are very much secure in their relationship even if it's only a very close friendship (which i doubt)
Vernon: 1000% bi. While Hoshi is the in-your-face, I'm-gonna-kiss-everyone-in-this-room kind of bi, Vernon is the laid-back, finger-gun toting, jeans cuffing I'm-fine-with-whatever-and-I-just-really-like-people kind of bi. Out of all the members he's shown the most interest and biggest support towards the lgbtq+ community. He constantly recommends queer media (sense8, cloud atlas, handmaiden) to fans and loves frank ocean, kehlani and many other artists popular with the gay community/who're queer themselves. He's watched moonlight and Hedwig and the Inch, wore Clothes from Burberry's Pride line in June and wrote a song which he specified to be intentionally gender neutral. When a fan asked him what he would like to say to lgbtq+ carats he said he 'hopes to make a place together for everybody, for all equal rights'. He tweeted rip Sophie, which is maybe one of the most telling things he's done, as I don't believe many if any allies would have said the same, esp since he's Korean which tells me he's quite diligent about learning and exploring queer culture even outside his own country. He's always said things like 'binaries can't define you' and has talked with members about not being restricted by gender. If you look at him predebut, he pings like crazy. Even now I don't think he acts esp straight tbh, he's just an introverted bi guy with a better understanding of his job requirements and social expectations. He just had to figure out some things for a while and nowadays he's totally comfortable and confident with who he is. Also I know we're not supposed to go off of stereotypes here but I swear he literally has the most bisexual smile I've ever seen in my life (that damned lopsided smirk!!) His entire stance +mannerisms scream bisexual to me, but maybe I'm projecting because we emote in a similar way lol but then again I have met so many bi people in the past who had identical vibes to his that I can not simply brush it off. Also there's Seungkwan, but I heard you guys don't like ships so I'll have to shut up about it lol
Dino:1000% straight. Confirmed dated a staff member before. Likes attention from female fans and is very much comfortable with fanservice and is an expert at hamming up the 'boyfriend' act + is pretty shameless about it. The members he's closest to are all queer af though and it's funny seeing him pretend not to notice when gay shit happens all around him. I really love him lol

mmya

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,800

I know it's ultimately nothing but I feel like this belongs here
(people said elsewhere that it could be a choreo spoiler or an inside joke idk but still... 💅)

Last edited:

Icxykawaii

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭600
Pronouns
She
Do y'all think Hoshi and LSH are/were romantically linked? I fell down the GD and LSH internet rabbit hole and many people believe that they were a romantic couple?

What's the tea?👀
I only just saw this, but what are you guys opinions on GD? personally I think he's bi but I feel like there's not enough 'receipts'

sooat

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,600
Pronouns
She/Her
Yoon Chanyoung gives me potential energy.
I recognize his face but don't know anything about him

I'm watching Moving now and seeing some videos of the cast Lee Jung Ha give me some vibes, but I think he just acts cute and there is also Jo In Sung that was always mentioned on OH and for me he's confusing but he seems straight?

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭84,500
Pronouns
He/Him
I recognize his face but don't know anything about him

I'm watching Moving now and seeing some videos of the cast Lee Jung Ha give me some vibes, but I think he just acts cute and there is also Jo In Sung that was always mentioned on OH and for me he's confusing but he seems straight?
He was in All of Us Are Dead. Then he was in a censored adaptation of a bl called Return of a High School Gangster. And then Taxi Driver. I haven't finished it though. Ghost romance is weird to me.

I'm not familiar with either of them. Lol. Anything I should check out?

sooat

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,600
Pronouns
She/Her
He was in All of Us Are Dead. Then he was in a censored adaptation of a bl called Return of a High School Gangster. And then Taxi Driver. I haven't finished it though. Ghost romance is weird to me.

I'm not familiar with either of them. Lol. Anything I should check out?
oh I did watch taxi driver but I don't remember him, I'm going to check him out

so lee jung ha is just a feeling but I might be wrong
then jo in sung I don't really know why people suspect him, he said some things in the past but...? (he's known from the movie a frozen flower)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭84,500
Pronouns
He/Him
oh I did watch taxi driver but I don't remember him, I'm going to check him out

so lee jung ha is just a feeling but I might be wrong
then jo in sung I don't really know why people suspect him, he said some things in the past but...? (he's known from the movie a frozen flower)
Oh. So sorry. It's Delivery Man, not Taxi Driver. Which is strange because he is, in fact, a taxi driver, but not a delivery man.

I'll check out a few videos for vibes. Haha.

gam3 bo1

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭13,900
Pronouns
she/her
This was a nice to see,

Not sure how many idols have covered songs form the movie before, but it is still nice to see idols covering songs from such a famous queer film,

this message is already 10 days old but i'm catching up on the thread so sorry o_O but zb1 zhang hao did a short cover of this during a bubble live once. if you, or anyone else, are unfamiliar with boys planet then you might not know that seungeon was a yuehua trainee with hao so i wonder if hao showed him the song or seungeon knew it from yuehua trainee days since they're a chinese company (ie could've been a predebut evaluation song) and there were predebut chinese vocal covers he did. who knows

Last edited:

sooat

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,600
Pronouns
She/Her
Oh. So sorry. It's Delivery Man, not Taxi Driver. Which is strange because he is, in fact, a taxi driver, but not a delivery man.

I'll check out a few videos for vibes. Haha.
oh ok :LOL:
jo in sung that I'm more curious about because I want to understand why people suspect him

Sergel

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭89,535
this message is already 10 days old but i'm catching up on the thread so sorry o_O but zb1 zhang hao did a short cover of this during a bubble live once. if you, or anyone else, are unfamiliar with boys planet then you might not know that seungeon was a yuehua trainee with hao so i wonder if hao showed him the song or seungeon knew it from yuehua trainee days since they're a chinese company (ie could've been a predebut evaluation song) and there were predebut chinese vocal covers he did. who knows
Oh I think Hao likely did, it I also heard Keita told them about the movie too. I imagine they just have seen the MV though lol

Top Bottom