RussianRoulette

Taeminā€™s Wife Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
āØ­1,706,600
Pronouns
She/Her
Ewww. As if Kevin would ever. Lmao.
I donā€™t watch the try guys, so I donā€™t know if this is normal behavior for them, but I thought this was a pretty bold joke to make about a kpop idol.

Like, I highly doubt IST pays enough attention to their oversea stuff to care, but in theory I feel like IST would have thrown a fit over this or would have wanted it edited out.

If letā€™s say he made this joke about a more popular kpop idol, like Jungkook or Jimin, I think people would be throwing a fit calling it inappropriate.

*edit* apparently in the full clip another person talked about wanting to clap cheeks with RM :dami:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Plus Coins
āØ­84,500
Pronouns
He/Him
I donā€™t watch the try guys, so I donā€™t know if this is normal behavior for them, but I thought this was a pretty bold joke to make about a kpop idol.

Like, I highly doubt IST pays enough attention to their oversea stuff to care, but in theory I feel like IST would have thrown a fit over this or would have wanted it edited out.

If letā€™s say he made this joke about a more popular kpop idol, like Jungkook or Jimin, I think people would be throwing a fit calling it inappropriate.

*edit* apparently in the full clip another person talked about wanting to clap cheeks with RM :dami:
I used to watch them. I believe they gotten more "raunchy/blue" as they've gone along. I also feel as if they're dying, so they're looking for virality.

I can, from a marketing perspective, see how there's no win in this situation for addressing it. It's the Streisand Effect risk. Especially with Kevin in particular. They'd probably just let him take the hit instead of jeopardizing the more popular members. If they're aware at all. This is content that wasn't filmed with The Boyz. They have zero say over random jokes made after the fact. Defamation wouldn't hold.

RussianRoulette

Taeminā€™s Wife Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
āØ­1,706,600
Pronouns
She/Her

This is trending on Twitter, I thought it would share it here in case anyone wants to give their two cents.

On a side note from that video: Jessi???? Queer??? Did I miss a chapter :uwot:

mmya

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
āØ­3,800

This is trending on Twitter, I thought it would share it here in case anyone wants to give their two cents.

Isnā€™t Jessi homophobic or something lolā€¦ I remember lots of people denied Amber being LGBT too (she denied it herself or something?) but apparently an MV she released implies that sheā€™s bi? I donā€™t follow either of them, thatā€™s just some stuff I read from the old thread and recently.

Anyway, that was an interesting watch. Itā€™s true LGBT idols have a voice and they can hypothetically use it. But to risk losing their entire career, especially if theyā€™re at their peak rn? No one wants to do that. And Iā€™m guessing this girl is American Korean? So it makes sense to me why she has that perspective, and of course Iā€™d love to see K-celebs get to be more open about who they are. But to call for idols to martyr themselves for the cause? Is putting them in a really tough position. Itā€™s a bit unrealistic. The duality of the first and second half of her TikTok is interesting.

The best we could hope for, I think, is a brave soul coming out and a number of others coming out in support. Itā€™s really a long shot though. With the very few out celebrities atm, thereā€™s no real chance to push for change without backlash. I think the best person to come out would be someone untouchable or whose career is established and who people wouldnā€™t be surprised by lol (Jo Kwon? Idk), something to dip the societal toes in the waterā€¦ because unfortunately the way it is, itā€™s just not worth the risk for a lot of celebs rn, and we canā€™t really fault them for that either. Income is weighed more important than freedom of expression. Sad but true.

This goes into my next topic:

Iā€™ve been freaking out about this all day. Basically, Stray Kids just kicked off their world tour in Seoul a couple days ago and each member is performing a new solo song. For his solo, Han decided to do a full-on cosplay of a girl character from Nana, an anime with queer undertones that he is a fan of, decked out in Vivienne Westwood, singing to his ā€œbabyā€ about getting through hardships together, running underneath a gigantic shower of rainbow confetti.

Likeā€¦ do Koreans recognize the rainbow as a gay symbol? Is it normal to have rainbow confetti at Korean concerts? Because by itself I wouldnā€™t think much of it. But with everything, and the wrist thing I posted awhile ago, and the song theme, andā€¦ him in general, Iā€™m likeā€¦ wtf is going awn????? Am I being bamboozled or did he just have the c*ntiest coming out ever seen?

Itā€™s funny reading the comments from Korean vs. non-Korean fans. I don't think I saw a single Korean mention the queerness of it. On the other hand, non-Koreans can ONLY seem to mention the queerness of it šŸ˜‚

Last edited:

RussianRoulette

Taeminā€™s Wife Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
āØ­1,706,600
Pronouns
She/Her
I used to watch them. I believe they gotten more "raunchy/blue" as they've gone along. I also feel as if they're dying, so they're looking for virality.

I can, from a marketing perspective, see how there's no win in this situation for addressing it. It's the Streisand Effect risk. Especially with Kevin in particular. They'd probably just let him take the hit instead of jeopardizing the more popular members. If they're aware at all. This is content that wasn't filmed with The Boyz. They have zero say over random jokes made after the fact. Defamation wouldn't hold.
Kevin ended up commenting, so I guess they're just going to laugh it off šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
GV6K0jNWEAAzGOW

Reaction score
Plus Coins
āØ­84,500
Pronouns
He/Him

And about this. I watched the vid and was gonna watch it again today, but it's gone. Haha.

I'm not gonna get into the gyopo discourse because I have no stock.

Calling everyone who sees queerness in Korean male interactions ethnocentric feels concerning to me. I would hope they're talking about more extreme examples. Because regardless of country, people gravitate to what they like. It's up to common sense to determine what is and isn't a typical display of platonic affection. I can see how many works be bad at that. Yes, gay men in Korea have unique mannerisms that are different from the West. But so does the West. You can't point to a single instance of queerness and say that's how we all behave, so the point feels moot. There are queens everywhere. She as their more subtle siblings. Babygirlism has been catastrophic for vibes though. Lol.

I've also never seen slang be bright to as serious receipts before. Especially since it's only the chronically online or glass closet idols who use any eyebrow raising terms to begin with.

And Jessi, idk. Shaming idols for not coming out is so tacky. Shaming literally anyone for not willingly putting a target on their back is tacky. I understand the frustration though. Change comes with risk.

sooat

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
āØ­130,600
Pronouns
She/Her
And about this. I watched the vid and was gonna watch it again today, but it's gone. Haha.

I'm not gonna get into the gyopo discourse because I have no stock.

Calling everyone who sees queerness in Korean male interactions ethnocentric feels concerning to me. I would hope they're talking about more extreme examples. Because regardless of country, people gravitate to what they like. It's up to common sense to determine what is and isn't a typical display of platonic affection. I can see how many works be bad at that. Yes, gay men in Korea have unique mannerisms that are different from the West. But so does the West. You can't point to a single instance of queerness and say that's how we all behave, so the point feels moot. There are queens everywhere. She as their more subtle siblings. Babygirlism has been catastrophic for vibes though. Lol.

I've also never seen slang be bright to as serious receipts before. Especially since it's only the chronically online or glass closet idols who use any eyebrow raising terms to begin with.

And Jessi, idk. Shaming idols for not coming out is so tacky. Shaming literally anyone for not willingly putting a target on their back is tacky. I understand the frustration though. Change comes with risk.
I don't know if it's the same vĆ­deo but I saw yesterday (link)

Sergel

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
āØ­90,335
Isnā€™t Jessi homophobic or something lolā€¦ I remember lots of people denied Amber being LGBT too (she denied it herself or something?) but apparently an MV she released implies that sheā€™s bi? I donā€™t follow either of them, thatā€™s just some stuff I read from the old thread and recently.

Anyway, that was an interesting watch. Itā€™s true LGBT idols have a voice and they can hypothetically use it. But to risk losing their entire career, especially if theyā€™re at their peak rn? No one wants to do that. And Iā€™m guessing this girl is American Korean? So it makes sense to me why she has that perspective, and of course Iā€™d love to see K-celebs get to be more open about who they are. But to call for idols to martyr themselves for the cause? Is putting them in a really tough position. Itā€™s a bit unrealistic. The duality of the first and second half of her TikTok is interesting.

The best we could hope for, I think, is a brave soul coming out and a number of others coming out in support. Itā€™s really a long shot though. With the very few out celebrities atm, thereā€™s no real chance to push for change without backlash. I think the best person to come out would be someone untouchable or whose career is established and who people wouldnā€™t be surprised by lol (Jo Kwon? Idk), something to dip the societal toes in the waterā€¦ because unfortunately the way it is, itā€™s just not worth the risk for a lot of celebs rn, and we canā€™t really fault them for that either. Income is weighed more important than freedom of expression. Sad but true.

This goes into my next topic:

Iā€™ve been freaking out about this all day. Basically, Stray Kids just kicked off their world tour in Seoul a couple days ago and each member is performing a new solo song. For his solo, Han decided to do a full-on cosplay of a girl character from Nana, an anime with queer undertones that he is a fan of, decked out in Vivienne Westwood, singing to his ā€œbabyā€ about getting through hardships together, running underneath a gigantic shower of rainbow confetti.

Likeā€¦ do Koreans recognize the rainbow as a gay symbol? Is it normal to have rainbow confetti at Korean concerts? Because by itself I wouldnā€™t think much of it. But with everything, and the wrist thing I posted awhile ago, and the song theme, andā€¦ him in general, Iā€™m likeā€¦ wtf is going awn????? Am I being bamboozled or did he just have the c*ntiest coming out ever seen?

Itā€™s funny reading the comments from Korean vs. non-Korean fans. I don't think I saw a single Korean mention the queerness of it. On the other hand, non-Koreans can ONLY seem to mention the queerness of it šŸ˜‚

About the Rainbow as a symbol, the way I kind of observed is the average Korean person may not know what I means in queer context, but a queer Korean person probably would know what it means. Reason being is if you look at gay clubs, Pride Parades, and such, the symbol is on full display.

mmya

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
āØ­3,800
About the Rainbow as a symbol, the way I kind of observed is the average Korean person may not know what I means in queer context, but a queer Korean person probably would know what it means. Reason being is if you look at gay clubs, Pride Parades, and such, the symbol is on full display.
Thanks for that. That makes sense to me too from what Iā€™ve seen. Iā€™m also pretty confident that all of Stray Kids knows what rainbows mean in that context, theyā€™ve got 2 members from Australia who are both proven allies, theyā€™ve been to a Pride Parade, their fanbase is made up of a lot of LGBT. I think the only thing is if Han actually decided by himself to use rainbow confetti. We canā€™t really know that. Donā€™t even know if he picked the Nana cosplay by himself. Realistically it was probably decided by staff because they donā€™t have time to decide that sort of thing, but we know heā€™s a big fan of Nana and this *was* a solo stage. So idk *shrug* but the combination of everything was really interesting.

RussianRoulette

Taeminā€™s Wife Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
āØ­1,706,600
Pronouns
She/Her
Thanks for that. That makes sense to me too from what Iā€™ve seen. Iā€™m also pretty confident that all of Stray Kids knows what rainbows mean in that context, theyā€™ve got 2 members from Australia who are both proven allies, theyā€™ve been to a Pride Parade, their fanbase is made up of a lot of LGBT. I think the only thing is if Han actually decided by himself to use rainbow confetti. We canā€™t really know that. Donā€™t even know if he picked the Nana cosplay by himself. Realistically it was probably decided by staff because they donā€™t have time to decide that sort of thing, but we know heā€™s a big fan of Nana and this *was* a solo stage. So idk *shrug* but the combination of everything was really interesting.
I donā€™t follow stray kids too closely, but if it helps I think pretty much every concert uses rainbow confetti.

I honestly donā€™t recall seeing any concert, even with foreign artists, not use rainbow confetti. I think BTS and maybe Taylor swift might have had their own colored confetti at some point? But rainbow just seems to be the default thing.

mmya

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
āØ­3,800
I donā€™t follow stray kids too closely, but if it helps I think pretty much every concert uses rainbow confetti.

I honestly donā€™t recall seeing any concert, even with foreign artists, not use rainbow confetti. I think BTS and maybe Taylor swift might have had their own colored confetti at some point? But rainbow just seems to be the default thing.
Oh shit šŸ˜‚ I guess I donā€™t watch much concerts. Looking too much into it again I guess but still fun to see. šŸ¤

Sergel

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
āØ­90,335
The Poster for Love in the Big City has been revealed and I'm excited to see how they do the drama. The book was interesting and felt very raw and realistic to a degree.

Top Bottom