🌈👑 We are WithU! The Official NiziU Thread | ♪ #Heartris ♪ 👑🌈

Tootsiebay

Lurker Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭9,150
As an aside, I do wonder what the other JYPE trainees are feeling, seeing this new group of "trainees" being fast-tracked into debuting.

It's a lot different since they're not debuting in Korea. Also, any JYP trainee who could speak Japanese could audition, and 4 of them did. I think everyone understands that this is a "survival show" group regardless of what JYP may have said about it. You can ask them also what they think of Project C or the JYP Thai groups coming later.

grandmajudy

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭346,431
That kind of editing makes sense for S1, since it was the first elimination phase, and JYPE hadn't invested time and money into training the candidates. Following the drama over Akari, JYPE responded by referring to the thirteen girls as JYPE trainees, so they aren't being treated as just survival show contestants. Plus, they may save eliminated contestants based on public opinion as they did in Sixteen, or retain them in their trainee program, so telling the full story makes more sense. The only circumstance I can see them cutting screen time is if, god forbid, a trainee gets kicked out for misconduct, which hopefully did not / will not happen.

I agree. I'd rather reserve judgment and wait to see their progress in S2 before deciding whether they earned a place in the final group or not. Deciding a group based on some admittedly very raw skills in S1 doesn't make sense.

As an aside, I do wonder what the other JYPE trainees are feeling, seeing this new group of "trainees" being fast-tracked into debuting.

I personally would start feeling pressure my senior year of high school (so the 2002 line now). I think you don't really want to be a high school grad trainee with no clear debut path. Mako did mention she felt Nizi was her last opportunity. For the well known JYPE trainees I think Lily would start feeling the pressure. Seems she would have an opportunity at mid-size agencies for a vocal focused group.

Another question i had in my mind. Regular JYPE trainees still (for the most part) go to school and then train afterwards in the evenings. Are these girls in the Nizi project basically taking a semester off and going full time for the whole 6 months? It seems like it. They're trying to pack in a few years worth of training into a compressed time span. Are there any child truancy laws in SK?

Whisky23

"Kind but not soft" Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,200
Pronouns
Stud/Studmuffin
I personally would start feeling pressure my senior year of high school (so the 2002 line now). I think you don't really want to be a high school grad trainee with no clear debut path. Mako did mention she felt Nizi was her last opportunity. For the well known JYPE trainees I think Lily would start feeling the pressure. Seems she would have an opportunity at mid-size agencies for a vocal focused group.

Another question i had in my mind. Regular JYPE trainees still (for the most part) go to school and then train afterwards in the evenings. Are these girls in the Nizi project basically taking a semester off and going full time for the whole 6 months? It seems like it. They're trying to pack in a few years worth of training into a compressed time span. Are there any child truancy laws in SK?
From what I know, Hanlim, SOPA, or any of the other arts schools have very flexible rules when it comes to attendance and graduation. Also, both SK and JP have mandatory schooling up to middle school / junior high school only. I think there are a couple of 3rd yr junior high school kids in Nizi, but schools are also closed right now and the next school year supposedly starts in April. I guess that means they graduated?

The pressure to debut early is a bit worrisome, especially considering the recent demises of idols due to depression and negative remarks. Irene and Solar debuted in the 20s, so debuting at a later age it's not unheard of, but it does seem that both agencies and fans are favoring younger idols.

It's a lot different since they're not debuting in Korea. Also, any JYP trainee who could speak Japanese could audition, and 4 of them did. I think everyone understands that this is a "survival show" group regardless of what JYP may have said about it. You can ask them also what they think of Project C or the JYP Thai groups coming later.
Nizi is a little different because it does include existing JYPE trainees into the mix. Sixteen was a survival program for existing JYPE trainees. But Nizi is largely comprised of non-trainees fresh off the street with a couple of JYPE trainees in the mix. Still, it can't be easy to see a new group debut so quickly, especially if you've been a trainee for several years. The next JYPE group to debut is likely a couple of years away.

지우____

JYP & SM stan. SR20G JYP20G enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭90,150
Nizi is a little different because it does include existing JYPE trainees into the mix. Sixteen was a survival program for existing JYPE trainees. But Nizi is largely comprised of non-trainees fresh off the street with a couple of JYPE trainees in the mix. Still, it can't be easy to see a new group debut so quickly, especially if you've been a trainee for several years. The next JYPE group to debut is likely a couple of years away.

this was the financial analysts of last year of 2019 mentioning all the future plans of the BIG3 agencies + BIGHIt

JYP Entertaiment: JYP will debut for now 5 idol groups, the Korean groups having a 2 year or more age gap. The foreign groups debuting in 2020. And the Korean groups are gonna debut in 2021 (boyband in late 2021 or later). (Straykids will be 3 Years old and ITZY 2 Years old). A boyband (similar to Day6) audition will be held (last year they were searching for boyband members in LA).

but we don’t know it for sure since ITZY was Supposed to happen in mid 2018 until it was scrapped because of Somi leaving the agency. The groups have since then been pushed back (NIZI, C-project, JYPNGG2020, Boyband + Boygroup). And the current epidemic is probably pushing this back later too

지우____

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭90,150

Its a ticking time bomb for 02-03 liners this year and next year. Once that your an legal adult, agencies (especially in this age) would rather debut younger trainees who can achieve much more talents during their teenage years.

Whisky23

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,200
Pronouns
Stud/Studmuffin
but we don’t know it for sure since ITZY was Supposed to happen in mid 2018 until it was scrapped because of Somi leaving the agency. The groups have since then been pushed back (NIZI, C-project, JYPNGG2020, Boyband + Boygroup). And the current epidemic is probably pushing this back later too
Yeah, I also expect some of the debut plans to be postponed. Smaller agencies with few or no existing groups will still debut their groups, but for agencies like JYPE with established and successful groups, I foresee them delaying. Nizi really lucked out - if the Nizi Japan camp had been delayed a few months, we might not have gotten to phase 2.

edit: The hana financial pdf's section on Mnet's Produce series isn't aging well. Actually, much of that report didn't age well. But then again, who could have predicted Burning Sun, US-China trade war, a tanking KOSPI index, and a global pandemic back in Jan 2019.

Last edited:

지우____

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭90,150
Yeah, I also expect some of the debut plans to be postponed. Smaller agencies with few or no existing groups will still debut their groups, but for agencies like JYPE with established and successful groups, I foresee them delaying. Nizi really lucked out - if the Nizi Japan camp had been delayed a few months, we might not have gotten to phase 2.

edit: The hana financial pdf's section on Mnet's Produce series isn't aging well. Actually, much of that report didn't age well. But then again, who could have predicted Burning Sun, US-China trade war, a tanking KOSPI index, and a global pandemic back in Jan 2019.
2019 was a whole mess for the industry lmao. YG just went downhill and only JYP came out positive among the Big3. It really didn’t age well

grandmajudy

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭346,431

ZaerApollo
Rough English Translations as follows:

0:00 JP Narrator: The 1st mission is...
0:04 JYP: The 1st mission is the INDIVIDUAL LEVEL TEST (T/N: Like re-ranking them all over again based on solo performances)
0:13 JYP: When the LEVEL TEST is over, you will be re-ranked from 1st place to 13th place.
0:21 JYP: If you come in LAST PLACE two times, I'm sorry but you will be automatically eliminated from NIZI Project.

0:30 JP Narrator: The girls will be completing a number of missions/tests during their stay in Korea, but if you come in LAST PLACE in any 2 of those tests, you are automatically eliminated.
0:40 JP Narrator: Furthermore!

0:41 JYP: Even if you demonstrate personal growth (T/N: in skills), if you are discovered to have a "flawed personality" or an "attitude problem" (T/N: interesting bit here, could be a subtle reminder, cough*cough?), you will never be one of the debut members.

0:52 Mayuka: Ah, it's a survival game like I thought... it's scary/cruel...
0:58 Akari: Ah, the real competition starts now...
1:04 Akaya: I just want to work hard and avoid being in last place (T/N: lol, self-awareness from Ayaka)

zLJdhJ8.png

grandmajudy

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭346,431

ZaerApollo

Skip to 3:28 for Rio’s performance. English translations as follows:

0:00 The other NIZI girls: Rio, hwaiting~! Hwaiting hwaiting~!! (T/N: Konglish, it’s like good luck! or ganbatte-ne!)
0:04 TEXT: She walks to the stage, her steps filled with nervous energy
0:10 Rio: Hello! I’m Rio, pleased to meet you.
0:15 BOX People: She’s so pretty~/She looks like a pro!
0:17 BOX Dude: Her face is completely different!
0:20 TEXT: JYP can see Rio on the monitor
0:21 BOX People/TEXT: Even her make-up and outfit!/She looks so different now!/JYP concentrates on the monitor
0:27 JYP: You look really pretty right now.
0:30 Rio: Ah, thank you.
0:32 JYP: This must be your first time on a stage like this (T/N: referring to the scale/high level), and coincidentally, you’re the first contestant to perform—you must be nervous, are you doing OK?

0:40 Rio: Yup, I’m good.
0:45 JP Narrator: What performance has Rio-san prepared for us?
0:48 Rio: I’m going to perform LADY by Yubin.
0:57 JP Narrator: Lady by Yubin was popular in Korea (T/N: Eh…), and it’s famous for its feminine/womanly dance routine, and so...
1:05 JYP: Rio, you were originally a locking dancer, right? (T/N: JYP means Pop & Lock)
1:09 Rio: Yes.
1:10 JYP: So, locking and the kind of dance performance that’s critical for Yubin’s Lady is in some ways, complete opposites…
1:19 JP Narrator: Why did Rio choose such an out of character song to perform?
1:22 Rio: If I had to explain, it’s because I didn’t want to look like a child. I know I may still look like a kid to y’all, but I wanted to show my maturity through this dance…

1:34 JP Narrator: That’s why during practice…
1:37 Dance Coach: Hey, if you stand like that, you look manly! You gotta be Lady-like! Lady-like! Again!
1:43 JP Narrator: Her old habits (T/N: Rio’s old dancing style) are hard to break and this is causing her lots of trouble…
1:47 JP Narrator: Even during her vocal lessons…
1:51 Vocal Coach: Your pitch, lyrics and pronunciation have all improved… but the problem is that you still have a long way to go.
2:00 Vocal Coach: What did I say was the reason you keep lagging on the tempo?
2:04 Rio: My breathing?
2:06 Vocal Coach: That’s right. You’re breathing off tempo, and it’s interfering with your ability to sing properly.
2:10 TEXT: Rio tries to start from the basics and learn how to breathe properly…
2:20 TEXT: But it doesn’t go so well for Rio
2:24 JYP: Honestly, I can’t really imagine it. It seems like Rio has been dancing a manly style for a long time (T/N: as in the kind of dances male dancers would normally perform, with more aggressive moves)

2:33 JYP: But LADY is requires a lot of very feminine movements, I really can’t visualize how Rio will perform it—both her expressions and movements.
2:40 JYP: If she does well, I’ll be pleasantly surprised, but at the same time, I’m a bit worried…
2:48 TEXT: 10 days before the individual showcase.
2:52 Yuna helps Rio learn Korean pronunciations (TEXT says Rio continues practicing even in the dorms)
3:03 TEXT: The evidence of Rio’s hard work!
3:06 Rio: I want to work hard so that I can demonstrate my individuality and JYP can praise me for my vocals and not just my dance.
3:19 JP Narrator: Now then! Will Rio-san be able to show how much she improved to JYP?

RIO’s PERFORMANCE (T/N: Not translating this part—you can go Google the lyrics yourself, lol)

4:48 Rio: “Show me yo haa~~” (T/N: LOL)
4:52 Box Guy: That was perfect!
4:58 Rio: Thank you/JP Narrator: Rio manages to finish the first performance amidst her apprehension
5:05 JP Narrator: So, what will JYP’s critique be?
5:12 JYP: Hmm, so this stage—well, I don’t know if it was this large/complete of a stage, but have you ever performed on a stage like this before? (T/N: JYP is more referring to the level/quality of the stage and not its physical size)

5:20 Rio: This is my first time on a stage this complete/a stage of this caliber.
5:32 JYP: The reason why I’m asking you this is because, uh, the way you’ve prepared yourself (T/N: talking about her outfit & make-up) and the way you’re standing on stage right now (T/N: talking about her stage presence, not her posture), you don’t look awkward at all (T/N: he means she looks very natural, I’m just trying to be accurate to his words here).

5:48 JYP: It looks like you’re standing there thinking to yourself “I was born to do this.” (T/N: He means she radiates self-confidence)
5:56 Rio: Thank you very much/TEXT: Rio was able to successfully show JYP her growth!
6:02 JYP: I really can’t critique your dancing, because… it was perfect.
6:15 Box Dude: Of course she’s crying (T/N: He means happy tears)/Yeah, I mean she’s been preparing 30 days for this stage!
6:19 TEXT: Unexpected tears fall from Rio’s eyes
6:22 JYP: You danced so well that I could convince myself that you’ve never danced Lock & Pop before (T/N: JYP means Rio was able to stop any of her old/bad dancing habits from creeping into her performance), your dance was perfect.

6:34 JYP: And better still, not only did you dance well, you danced like Rio (T/N: as in, Rio was able to demonstrate her individuality through the dance)

6:41 Box Dude: Wow, he’s piling on the praise!/Box Woman: I’m so happy for her!
6:45 JYP: But!
6:50 Box Dude: Of course… (T/N: Well, more like “It’s here,” like from Densha Otoko, if you’ve ever seen that J-Drama)
6:51 JYP: Your pitch is very unstable.
6:57 JYP: Were you able to feel this while singing? Yes? No?
7:00 Rio: Yes, I was aware.
7:02 JYP: Miss Rio--for your next evaluation, I am going to be focusing mainly on how much your vocals improved or not.
7:08 Rio: Yes, I understand. / JYP: Good work.
7:14 Box Dude: Yeah, it’s hard to nail everything right…

Whisky23

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,200
Pronouns
Stud/Studmuffin
So, they had 30 days to prepare for their individual level test? Assuming they started in December, then the level test was done in Jan. If they get 30 days to prep for their assessments, then 4 assessments would put their last assessment some time in May or even June. That timeline sorta works out.

BPiperDude

Stan
Reaction score
On a blue rock in the middle of a big empty.
Plus Coins
⨭149,400
So I was looking over the Sukkiri stuff a bit and noticed some random and completely useless stuff.

1. All the former JYP trainees didn't' go over with the main group as there were only nine at the airport, inside the bus and arriving at the JYP facility. The other 4 must have already been at the facility as they join them shortly afterwards during the tour,

2. Nina still hasn't fully acclimated to chop sticks.

3. The girls only have 2 drawers per person (They have 4 to a room and 2 chests of 4 drawers per room). Don't know if most women/girls could survive that for 6 months ;)

4. Miihi got her teeth fixed over the interval from first to second season.

5. There must be either 2 flats or they have to stage their eating as the table as shown in the kitchen can only sit 6.

6. He still has them learning Korean/English songs which I think is mistake and if done too much will alienate the Japanese audience.

7. The Sukkiri commentators are seperated by several feet. (COVID???)

grandmajudy

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭346,431
So, they had 30 days to prepare for their individual level test? Assuming they started in December, then the level test was done in Jan. If they get 30 days to prep for their assessments, then 4 assessments would put their last assessment some time in May or even June. That timeline sorta works out.

Seems it might be more towards the end of January for the solo test. The 2nd test appears to be unit performance? I'm guessing that no one was eliminated after the 1st two missions/tests at as they were able to get hair color changes for the promo pictures.

I was thinking some missions might have shorter prep time ... like perhaps the return of Sixteen's controversial modeling mission (i.e. the save Ayaka mission).

So I was looking over the Sukkiri stuff a bit and noticed some random and completely useless stuff.

1. All the former JYP trainees didn't' go over with the main group as there were only nine at the airport, inside the bus and arriving at the JYP facility. The other 4 must have already been at the facility as they join them shortly afterwards during the tour,

3. The girls only have 2 drawers per person (They have 4 to a room and 2 chests of 4 drawers per room). Don't know if most women/girls could survive that for 6 months ;)

5. There must be either 2 flats or they have to stage their eating as the table as shown in the kitchen can only sit 6.

6. He still has them learning Korean/English songs which I think is mistake and if done too much will alienate the Japanese audience.

1. Since they finished the S1 camp in August, the JYPE trainees probably just went back to Korea afterwards while the others stayed in Japan. This seems to be the timeframe where we saw some instagram posts where some OT13 and S2 non-participants like Suzu, Kako, Kyouka, and Miu hung out.

2. Was that because she was using a spoon at JYP-bob?

3. & 5. I think they have 2 flats unless they have a 4-5 bedroom unit with 2 living rooms. The first room Miihi, Mako, Nina, Akari, Ayaka, Riria entered was small and had only 1 bunk bed. They showed another room that Riria and Akari were unpacking in with seemingly only one bunk bed also. The 3rd room they showed was the one with 2 bunks and 4 girls in it. I don't know about the drawers but are closets not common in Korea? Those rooms seemed to just have an exposed two level hanger rack.

4. It's weird some folks on the korean dcinside forum were mad that she got her teeth fixed. I mean .... it's better for long term dental health/hygiene.

Last edited:

Whisky23

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,200
Pronouns
Stud/Studmuffin
LOL. Just noticed that they're having the girls learn the JYP Basic Dance that all JYPE trainees has to master and pass.
The Nizi trainees are being asked to do the same thing that all JYPE trainees have to do, regardless of nationality. 5 of the girls are already multilingual - it would be a shame not to capitalize on those abilities. Also, I expect most of the performance songs will be JYPE-owned songs from their own artists, so I think we can expect quite a bit of Korean in the upcoming performances.

mengxiang

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭45,650
They need to work together in order to make sure nobody at the last place twice. If this can be happpen i think they all can debut in 13 member group, suitable for jpop market.

mengxiang

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭45,650
Gosh imagine we gonna get a gg group from jyp after itzy this 2021 and yet sm still dont have a gg group after redvelvet to match with itzy...for yg..... understandable why they dont have any group to debut yet after the mess they did in 2019

Divine

Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭56,285

The group is being half managed by a Korean company which shouldn't come as a surprise that they need to learn Korean. On top of that, the group itself has English speaking members why not capitalize on that? JYPE/SONY I'm sure wants Nizi to appeal to a larger audience, not just Japan and with having members that can speak different languages it's smart. There are Japanese groups that release English songs (EXILE TRIBE) so I don't see how that would alienate the Japanese audience especially when the Japanese audience can stan Korean groups in itself.

grandmajudy

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭346,431
They need to work together in order to make sure nobody at the last place twice. If this can be happpen i think they all can debut in 13 member group, suitable for jpop market.

I thought about that strategy but if one of them tanks on purpose each mission they also make not get picked to debut in the end. Even if no one gets eliminated with the 2 strike rule it doesn't mean they all get chosen to debut.

grandmajudy

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭346,431
The group is being half managed by a Korean company which shouldn't come as a surprise that they need to learn Korean. On top of that, the group itself has English speaking members why not capitalize on that? JYPE/SONY I'm sure wants Nizi to appeal to a larger audience, not just Japan and with having members that can speak different languages it's smart. There are Japanese groups that release English songs (EXILE TRIBE) so I don't see how that would alienate the Japanese audience especially when the Japanese audience can stan Korean groups in itself.

The regular trainees perform all the monthly evals in English. Look at Yeji during the Fan she did all English songs.

Top Bottom