OTHER Corner Candy Shop

Chu

୨୧ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,222,448
TOPIC 2:
unknown.png

In this event, your challenge is to only use 3 colors in your submission! It can be of any medium or style, however the most important task is to stay within a 3 color range. No more, no less.

Here is an example, as well as another.

To achieve this look, you do not need to illustrate. Here are some tutorials on blending and creating a duotone palette!

Have fun!

Submission due October 6th.

Chu

୨୧ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,222,448
TOPIC 3:
HeaderforSpookySquad.png

In this challenge, you will be presented with the task of making a spooky movie poster or book cover! It can be of any genre, all that we ask is that you avoid:
  • Nudity​
  • Gore (open wounds, infections, rotting flesh etc.)​
  • Extreme Violence​
  • Actions or suggestions of sexual assault or harassment​

The catch is, you will have to do this assignment as partners! Pick a partner, then register it in the discord or on the CCS thread! The piece can be anything, but try to make something original. Write up a detailed explanation for your piece so users can understand what you are trying to get across.

This challenge will be judged. The top scoring team will win 50k plus coins!

The rubric is as follows:

Quality: /5
Originality: /5
Technique: /5
Overall Concept: /5

Your level of GFX will be taken into consideration.

In CCS prized events, the winners are announced, however everyone just gets comments. There will be no visible rankings.

Submit your form here!! The deadline is the 12th of October!!

Last edited:

sm maid

Global Star Administrator Events VIP+ Eighth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭116,907
Pronouns
She/Her
can I have a link to the discord, please? :omgwhat:

Chu

୨୧ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,222,448
TOPIC 2 SUBMISSIONS:
unknown.png

In this event, your challenge is to only use 3 colors in your submission! It can be of any medium or style, however the most important task is to stay within a 3 color range. No more, no less.

Pikachu sneaking into the cinema lol | joo

7-B369-BCC-A281-4-D71-80-D1-B3-ABA5-A61-D3-B.png

Colors: Dark blue Hex(0EA7B6) Light blue Hex(6BD2DB) Black Hex(161616)

pikachu Fanart UWU

Lady Mermaid | softest bun

Mermaiido3.gif

Colors: #000000, #1f4256, #f47171

A remake of Dia Lady's Lady Mermaid Album cover. I wanted to create something that had a retro feel, but not too retro. Something along the lines of Miami vice, that still had the essence of the hop.

Love is Pain | Akidoki

j-love-3.png

Colors: Blue - 270096 Red- bc0005 White - FFFFFF

So I spent a lot of hours learning how to do this which is why I went with the love is pain approach. I loved making the GFX but boy was it painful.
I tried making it on photoshop before giving up and turning to GIMP (Which i have used for a lot longer and just find it more comfortable. I love red and blue as a colour combo. Especially when coupled with white it looks very pretty. I initially just did the duotone but it looked quite empty so I added the words and as it still looked like it could something just a little more to give it a complete look, I added the little accents and the design on the upper right. I wanted to keep the design simple with clear cut shapes instead of curves simply to compliment the boldness of the two dominant colours i picked. I really enjoyed working on this. Thanks llama for the theme!

Amethyst | Seriously

8k8Y6Xn.png

Colors: Pink (#A2859F) Purple (#312950) White (#FEFFF6)

Ummm, nothing much to say really. I'm entirely new to this style, so this is just the result of me experimenting...

Stan Hirate Yurina | Yuki

hirrate.png

Colors: ca2d22, 6ed473, ffffff

Stan Hirate Yurina

SAY THE NAME | Baymax

oP0xN8d.png

Colors: #1b3f81 #f7cac9 #ffffff

Making my Candy Corner Shop debut, I decided to dedicate my first piece on something I really love... Seventeen and their lovely leader, S.Coups. ♡ With the topic being duotone, of course it was no brainer to go with their fandom colours: rose quartz and (kinda) serenity.

Overdrive (Seungyoun ver.) | Chu

Erq6bmv.png

Colors: Red #d20000, Purple #42009a, White #ffffff

I wasn't sure what to do for this topic but then I was listening to Wang Ziyi's Overdrive and it hit me; be the thief that I always was. Jk jk. I love the album cover so I was inspired by it to make my own version using Seungyoun. I used red for the background and decided to use purple instead of blue since I like the overall look better. I added in a background pattern and used my third colour for the font and barcode. The original pic I used had a height of 500px so I have to make do with a small square, but overall I'm please with how it came out even tho I feel like I still need to learn how to adjust the levels better ;;;;;;

Profile 4.0 | Velvet Queen

Kbu2UhI.png

Colors: FFFFFF FFB6B8 6736DD

Having already made 3 versions of the image I figured I might as well make another for this topic

Choi Minho - "BLAZE" - The 1st Mini Album | Frandae

dy3CRNa.jpg

Colors: #870303 & d8bf13 for the gradient and #ffffff for the text

Inspired on the Ace/Base/Face/Voice saga I wanted to recreate how Minho's first mini album cover would be; I obviously followed the main design and called it "Blaze" because of his nickname "Flaming Charisma". I used those colours to represent the fire/blaze that is related to his nickname; so yeah that lmao. I hope you like it!

GoldenDivas |

20191002-160040-0000.png

Colors: DC4379 #11245E

Sometimes we judge people by only see there outward appearance or actions but is that really the person they really are or are we nust seeing the dual colors and not the whole colors that make up a person.​

Chu

୨୧ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,222,448
Photobook #1:
This will be CCS’ first photobook challenge. In this challenge, you will be displaying all of the works you have created in the most recent topic, along with 1 new piece of your choice. This challenge is different from others, because organization and the choice of how you display your work will play a big factor in how well you can express your experience.

You can change and tweak any of the work you are going to submit to the photobook, if you want to optimize how they look.

The preferred submission format will be .pdf. There are sites that will convert images to .pdf online, if that is a step that you will need.

You will need:

• A title for the photobook (clearly displayed), followed by your name
  • A title for each work
  • An explanation for the photobook
  • An explanation for each piece
  • A short (I’m looking at you Aki) reflection

How display your work is 100% to your discretion.

Since this is the first photobook, and we want to make sure everyone experiences it - all will be able to submit their work. However, you will be required to fill in any missing topics.

The prize for this photobook is 100k plus coins!

Submission due October 27th

Last edited:

moue

⥀⥀⥀
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭313,917
Click Clack BaddaBing Badda Boom!

TOPIC 3 SUBMISSIONS:

HeaderforSpookySquad.png
In this challenge, you will be presented with the task of making a spooky movie poster or book cover! It can be of any genre, all that we ask is that you avoid:

• Nudity
  • Gore (open wounds, infections, rotting flesh etc.)
  • Extreme Violence
  • Actions or suggestions of sexual assault or harassment

The catch is, you will have to do this assignment as partners! Pick a partner, then register it in the discord or on the CCS thread! The piece can be anything, but try to make something original. Write up a detailed explanation for your piece so users can understand what you are trying to get across.

This challenge will be judged. The top scoring team will win 50k plus coins!

The rubric is as follows:

Quality: /5
Originality: /5
Technique: /5
Overall Concept: /5

Your level of GFX will be taken into consideration.

In CCS prized events, the winners are announced, however everyone just gets comments. There will be no visible rankings.

IT Chapter K |
Joo & Yerimmie
AC069-C21-4-FC4-4-D70-940-F-684-BB0252002.png

“I'm every nightmare you've ever had. I'm your worst dream come true. I'm everything you ever were afraid of.”

Velvet
The use of IT meant that this was very on trend however to me this doesn’t come across as either a book cover or movie poster at all. Whilst I like the idea of it all, I feel like even just adding a movie or book title to the image would’ve helped to actually make the image fit the topic. I think overall this just needed more because whilst what’s there is good it still feels like it’s missing something with the lack of title, tag-line, actors/directors/authors name etc.

Sollie
Overall I think this concept is quite interesting, and I can see where the idea expanded with the words and visuals. It merges popular culture with Kpop quite well, keeping the creepy/scary theme but subtly including the “scary” Kpop elements. I really like the use of the words, however I would have to say unless I knew what IT was about, I wouldn’t really understand the full concept. It’s definitely an interesting take, however I do think some more emphasis on making it promote the idea (in the sense of a book cover or poster) would have edged this up a little more. Overall, I do like it, but I’m not sure I would have known what it was without knowing about the original prompt.

Lurkette
I see where you wanted to go with the concept, but I think there are issues with the execution that prevent that concept from being fully realized. For one, it’s a little difficult to understand the image without the text description; ideally for a poster or cover, all of the details needed to communicate your ideas would be in the image. It’s a little disjointed, too, because it seems like the clown is the one having these negative thoughts, but he also seems like he’s enjoying it, almost? It’s unclear what your narrative is here, so I think in the future it would be best to really refine what you want to communicate first and then build your design from there.

The Reflection Series | Frandae & ChuChu
RPJJKCh.png

For our book covers, we wanted to do a series based on different supernatural creatures from the same world. We wanted them to be borderline villains to which hopefully comes across from their looks in the pictures that we chose of them. We’re not sure if we had to explain the story to but we thought of it anyway; the world they live in is a parallel universe to the human world, where everyone has a counterpart in supernatural form. Thus, the stories follow each character coming into contact with their human forms and perhaps wreaking havoc in the human world.

London Ghoul:
- Summary
London, 1970. Chanyeol, widely known for being a stubborn and deceitful person, has earned his fare share of enemies within his city. There aren’t much who love him and put up with his reckless behaviour, besides his boyfriend and his stepsister. A strange happening led to him stumbling upon a portal to the human world; where he sees the human version of himself and those who are dear to him. Chanyeol is thrown into a spiral of hatred and is forced to look at himself. Will his human-loved ones, help him realise the error of his ways before it’s too late?

Mark of Terror:
- Summary:
London, 1970. Following the events of “London Ghoul”, Kim Doyeon, the self-proclaimed most beautiful woman in her city and Park Chanyeol’s stepsister, goes to look for his stepbrother. But in the process, she’ll find her worst fear; herself. Or rather, another version of herself. One without scars, fangs and heterochromia; the “perfect one”. Fuelled by jealousy, Doyeon will try to put an end with that “perfect version” while trying to discover the truth about her stepbrother, and most importantly, herself.

Lethal Blizzard:
- Summary:
Ong Seongwu was always a quiet and reserved kid that terrorized everyone in his university. With a serious and icy stare, even the bravest weren’t able to hold his gaze for long. But that’s not his true self; imposed by his family rules and reputation, he had to put a façade; a mask to hide all his true feelings and emotions… that is until he meets his parallel version; a cheerful guy that is always making jokes and helping everyone who needs it. Will this attitude finally melt Ong Seongwu’s icy heart?

Bewitching:
- Summary:
Krystal is a young exceptional witch, from the same university as Ong Seongwu. Currently under the SM Coven, a group of powerful witches that have each other backs, she is trying her best to get the best scores and grades, improve her spells and have a somewhat stable social life with her sisters that involves potions, curses and hunting humans. Krystal never doubted about the coven’s intentions, until she was asked to put a lethal curse on her human counterpart that didn’t do anything wrong to deserve it. Will she follow orders like she always did or will her rebel against the coven and start forming her own vision of justice?

Velvet
I love how in depth you’ve gone with all this creating an entire series of books and therefore having to come up with different ideas on how you can edit the characters you’ve chosen however this doesn’t feel very original to me. The backstory is, however these specific edits are edits I feel like i’ve seen multiple times. That being said, with each character having a different edit you clearly put a lot of effort into it and had to use different techniques etc so I’ve got to give you guys props for that. Also whilst I am going to judge all of the submissions separately seeing another submission make the most of the book idea and create a spine and back cover as well I would’ve loved to have seen the summaries you sent alongside the images incorporated that way.

Sollie
The amount of thought that went into each of the covers is incredible so props to you guys! I like the cover designs merging the subject matter with each of the idols and I like the consistent style (font use, alignment etc) it makes it feel like a series without being too constricting. The only thing I will say is that it is quite similar to stuff I’ve seen before so minus on originality. Technique is good, maybe a little more contrast on some of the font/pics but otherwise very good as I don’t know the skill level you guys are at! I would suggest making the covers slightly more dynamic though, perhaps having more depth in the covers rather than just the pictures. Great job at making this all cohesive though!

Lurkette
I’m a sucker for some good old YA fantasy novels, and so I immediately grasped your concept and loved it. I’ll knock off a few points for originality since there is a very clear line between your work and that template, but I still think it’s a great concept, especially since you thought about the individual storylines that each cover would represent. The color stories are great and the formatting is very clean and on point with your concept, but I would work on making your edits a little more cohesive to the base images so that the end result is seamless

What Lies Within | Akidoki & Baymax
f7Zc4oT.png

How well do you really know someone? Your lover, your friend, your sister, your parent maybe even your child; your own blood. How well do you know them? You could see someone every moment of your day and still you wouldn't really know who they are. You will see what they want you to see. A smile. A laugh. A wink. All of that is what you see. But the darkness that lies within:
The Fears.
The Screams.
The Nightmares.
The Jealousy.
The Greed.
The Urge to kill.
You will never see them.
Maybe that is for the good. The body is just a carcass after all. A piece of flesh and bones.
What makes a person who they are, is what they harbour within them.
If you are lucky maybe it is good intentions.
If you are not...
Let's just say you might not want to find out.

When we got the halloween theme me and baymax tried to come up with ideas for what we can do. The idea to showcase something coming out from within someone was really creepy and we wanted to experiment with that. Initially we were going to do flowers. And while it was quite creepy, something about it didn't sit well. Because when you see it, it doesn't make you scared. We wanted something that when you look at it makes you squirm. Everyone are scared of spiders. Nobody wants a spider on them. Neither one of us wants a spider to crawl on our skin. But when we put the spiders in, it felt right. it felt horrifying. The thought of spiders coming out of your head was just so unsettling it had to be the one we went with. Also spiders are associated with quite a few dark meanings. They are considered to be symbols of loneliness and being alone. Furthermore they trap and ensnare creatures. They dont hunt by chasing you. they lay out a trap and make you fall into it. Much like how people can behave so well and be such a kind soul but they could just be fooling you into believing them. Their intentions can be dark and evil. They could be just making you fall into their trap and then they will consume you and leave your carcass out to decay. Spiders pretty much embodied our theme. You don't know what they have planned for you. All you see is shining threads of silver. so pretty against the sunlight. you don't see the looming darkness behind.
We wanted an angelic looking child to be the model. Someone who is the personification of innocence. Because we wanted to juxtapose the darkness lying within someone theme and the spiders (plus split head and all) with something that was pure. A child is untainted by the world. What darkness can a young child hide? Society's idea of a child is so pure. but the truth is... that darkness can be within a child too. There are cases of child murderers and bullies who were so ruthless that it can put adults to shame. so we wanted to show that in our piece. That you look at someone and your base idea is that they are perfect and they are so sweet and pure. but you don't know what they hide. We also went with a grey tone colour scheme for the model to kind of have this unsettling effect. We wanted her eye to be red cause red is associated with evil and darkness.
We also went with black and red as our main colours for the colour scheme. because the two colours are associated with evil and dark themes. Black is associated with Death and decay. Red is associated with Anger and Blood. It is also the colour associated with danger. A warning to everyone. Beware there is something wrong. And to further showcase that we went with red and black for the spiders (they were originally brown.).And the little bits of white in a few of the text, it is like a nod to the purity and the good parts of a person that the darkness can overwhelm.
We also wanted to include the spider theme in the background. The webs and the lyrics to incy wincy spider on a wall.
The font we picked for the title was one that was meant to symbolize decay and rot. like something that was previously perfect but it isn't anymore. The reason why we picked it was because when you hide something within you for a long time, it will eventually find a way out. and when it does it will start decaying the persona you display to the world. How people view you will change.
So Akidoki worked on the child and spiders image. Baymax worked on the background, rest of the design and layout of the overall poster.
We hope you enjoyed reading and viewing our piece, cause we had an awesome time making it.

Velvet
You’ve got me now wanting to see this movie. I think you’ve done a brilliant job of turning a scary image into a movie poster by giving it critics reviews/film festival selection etc. The font selection and use of the evil kid is great and gives it such a classic horror film feel. One thing though the very long explanation to go alongside this is not needed, the point of a movie poster is that it should be enough to entice people to go and see a movie and whilst it’s great you provided us with info on why you used certains colours etc we should be able to grasp that understanding ourselves from just looking at the poster (don’t worry though the long explanation didn’t affect my scoring at all, it’s just something I think could be taken into consideration for next time)

Sollie
For a start, I instantly know that this is a movie poster so you’ve got that down. The detail put in is crazy and I can see there is a lot of thought put into it, which is great to see. I love the spider/child image. At first I didn’t realise that’s what the ‘cracks’ were but as soon as I figured it out it made me shiver lmao. You’ve shown a real understanding of design which is great to see and I like the colour use. Very simplistic and creates that horror vibe without relying too heavily on the visuals. Overall, this could be seen as both simplistic but also complex. I really love the subtle background elements and the white/red contrasting text with the black and white image makes it bold. The only gripe I have with this poster is that I would make the child image slightly smaller, as it feels slightly crowded with the larger text/image combination. Otherwise I’m super impressed!

Lurkette
I like that this is a complete poster, with blurbs and recognitions and release dates all in the right places. The concept is also an original idea rather than a reference to another work (not that there’s anything wrong with references, necessarily, but they demand that your viewer is familiar with the source) and it’s very detailed as an image, so it makes me want to know more about your story and really pulls the viewer in to look more closely. That said, when I did look closely, I did notice the very faint text and spider web details in the background, and once I noticed them, they were almost distracting. They’re a little too dark and the image is unbalanced with their placement, so I’d either get rid of them entirely or bring them more into the foreground as a more significant part of the graphic if that’s something you want to people to focus on.

Lip Locked | RenjunSlays and LlamaBean
unknown.png

Lip Locked is about the powers of the femme fatale. Our piece symbolises not just the weakness of humanity but the lure of the average woman. Men have gone to war, destroyed cities and wiped out civilisations over a pretty face and now that very face shall be their downfall. Helen has the power of death - with just a single kiss. The men of the world cower as bodies stack up, one after the other all covered in a daring red lipstick, no one connects the dost. That with a single kiss, a moment of pleasure is morphed into one of pain and ultimately death.

Velvet
This looks like a completed book cover to me that you could see on a shelf in a book store so well done especially with the use of the award winner sticker and the publishers logo on the book spine. My problem with this though is that if you took the heart off of the front cover I would have assumed that this could be a teen romance novel as it’s not until the back when you see the blood and read the blurb that you understand it’s supposed to be scary. Also for me personally I wouldn’t have chosen yellow as the main colour alongside red because most people associate it with sunshine and happiness so once again it doesn’t seem to really fit the creepy theme.

Sollie
I absolutely love this idea, even before reading the synopsis. Red/yellow as a colour combination has some weird contrasting symbolisms which can be quite conflicting. For this application, I would have stuck with a darker colour to convey the creepy/scary theme. Even switching either of them out would have worked. I really like the idea regardless, and I think you’ve got the techniques down pretty spot on. The image manipulation is done well (it doesn’t look incredibly fake which sometimes can happen). Make sure you’re not using too many fonts over the whole thing too, it’s a bit jarring if more than two fonts are used unless done intentionally. Overall I really like the concept and the application you’ve shown.

Lurkette
I love that you’ve done a full book cover, right down to the Penguin Books logo. I would definitely pick up this book if I were looking around a store, although I do wish the back cover read more like an actual back cover. The first part of your back cover summary makes sense with explaining your work for the competition (although I did catch that the titles are different between the cover and the back cover). I do think that the images on the front need to be meshed better, as they look like they’re floating on the plates and the blood splatter on the plate doesn’t quite line up with the surfaces beneath it. I’m also not sure the blood dripping on the back is cohesive with the front. Lipstick marks or more food references might have worked better to make the two sides work as two halves of a whole, but I like the color scheme and the whole visual idea is really intriguing.

The winning team is....

Akidoki and Baymax
With a nearly perfect score, this pairing created an incredibly in-depth piece that drew the judges in and conveyed an interesting story. Congratulations! Your coins will be coming soon!

All of the judges have stated that they were incredibly impressed with all of the submissions. They noted your passion and effort. Thank you all for submitting and making CCS the best club on H+!​

Last edited:
Top Bottom