The Gay and Queer in Kpop Thread

mimenet

chemical blue ocean Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭615,600
Pronouns
He/Him
Has anyone else gotten a chance to watch the first His Man S3 episodes yet?

And also shout out to the OST by Dabit from last season! Good to see His Man keeping old contestants in the loop especially when one of them happens to be a singer.

Jaeseung putting the two guys he's interested in together in a room thinking they were too similar to get along and them both getting along super well, having the same hobbies and music taste, calling each other, getting to go on a date together by virtue of roommate assignment, and almost immediately end-gaming themselves is so funny. Poor guy doing some real butterfly effect shit. I don't think we've ever had two contestants pair up this strongly right away? Hwi and Seongmin are so cute together but I wonder how things will go when they're past this awkward shy stage.

Seungjin seems to be falling into the "youthful contestant who is too young to really appeal to the other guys and gets written off almost immediately" pitfall. None of the other guys seem remotely his age so I don't see him end gaming anyone. They really have a problem with throwing in some random young guy when the contestants skew older and clearly only want to date people around their age or older.

Youngjun also seems to be falling into the friendly people-pleaser role that ends up not getting romanced at all. Minseon is so fine and I'm surprised more of the guys aren't obviously into him. Are they blind? Jaeseung feels like he's already set up to suffer for most of the show. If he's also the eldest he's following the same bad luck of the other eldest contestants.

None of the contestants are really "large" personalities right out the gate unlike previous seasons so it's hard to latch onto anyone so far. Maybe one of the new guys will be more striking? Hyeon from S1 was so memorable and the S2 guys all felt like they were filling a very different archetype from anyone else. Maybe it's just too early though. I'm glad they have a pool. That's how you know it's a real house-based reality show. ANTM poolside arguments are the blueprint.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭86,400
Pronouns
He/Him

babyv004

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭60,895
There will apparently be another follow up k.will ahn jaehyun seo inguk mv

Probably only announced do to the widespread disappointment tbh

I am already annoyed. Lmao. It should've stayed in 2011.

i wish that instead of this they would give us Seo In Guk and Ahn Jae Hyun in a BL together.
i wouldn't say based on the "Please Don't" and "There is no breakup song that will suit me" MVs but more like in a romantic comedy
Like, we need famous and more experience actors in BLs too, not just idols and nugu actors or actors that are starting their careers

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭86,400
Pronouns
He/Him
i wish that instead of this they would give us Seo In Guk and Ahn Jae Hyun in a BL together.
i wouldn't say based on the "Please Don't" and "There is no breakup song that will suit me" MVs but more like in a romantic comedy
Like, we need famous and more experience actors in BLs too, not just idols and nugu actors or actors that are starting their careers
I assume it's mostly a money thing, with image being secondary. These BL projects are pretty much always bare-budget because they don't have access to the same capital avenues that het dramas get (product placement, television ads, deep-pocket investors). It's not so much the actors that are the issue, but their agencies and television companies for not wanting to take the risk on queer content when this other het drama option is high far more lucrative and won't ruffle feathers. And that's not even getting into fan base expansion/retention. Haha.

This does beg the question though, which actors are you wanting to see take on gay roles? If you could pick anyone. All answers from the thread welcome. I'm really interested.

babyv004

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭60,895
I assume it's mostly a money thing, with image being secondary. These BL projects are pretty much always bare-budget because they don't have access to the same capital avenues that het dramas get (product placement, television ads, deep-pocket investors). It's not so much the actors that are the issue, but their agencies and television companies for not wanting to take the risk on queer content when this other het drama option is high far more lucrative and won't ruffle feathers. And that's not even getting into fan base expansion/retention. Haha.

This does beg the question though, which actors are you wanting to see take on gay roles? If you could pick anyone. All answers from the thread welcome. I'm really interested.

I feel that Gong Yoo and even Lee Dong Wook could do it if they found any interesting project (even better if they do one together bc they have really good chemistry in Goblin). Dong Wook even played a character that clearly was queer in Strangers from Hell

Another option is some actor that already did movies where they played a queer character like Yeon Woo-jin and Lee Je-hoon in Chingusai? (Just Friends?)
Lee Je-Hoon even said he wanna do one recently

But unfortunately i have to agree with you. Is not so much the actors not wanting to do it but rather TV not investing on BLs and even the actors' agencies dont wanna them to do them. Maybe the streaming platforms like Netflix could fix part of the issue but there is still the agencies issue.

I feel that japanese industry is a a bit better on this matter of casting more mature and famous actors to play queer characters in movies, dramas and even BLs. An japanese actor i would love to see in a BL is Takeru Sato.
Like, come on dude you already did Kamen Rider which is already quite BL-ish so you can do anything. Besides, there is a long list of actors that was on Kamen Rider that years later did BLs and we cant let the "Ride your Kamen" and "Kamen Rider/TOKU to BL pipeline" jokes die

So I have faith that Takeru Sato's turn will come one day

Last edited:

mimenet

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭615,600
Pronouns
He/Him

Not sure what to make of this. If he intends it in the bisexual way, then he's doing the "controversy" part pretty explicitly, which is what he says he's not doing. I think he might have meant it in the "I'm not a misogynist" way maybe? Since Eunhyuk and Donghae's jijibae controversy is still pretty fresh? Honestly I have no idea because it feels like the first and second half of the sentence are in contradiction with each other. Does anyone have a clip of him saying it and not just a translation?

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭86,400
Pronouns
He/Him
I feel that Gong Yoo and even Lee Dong Wook could do it if they found any interesting project (even better if they do one together bc they have really good chemistry in Goblin). Dong Wook even played a character that clearly was queer in Strangers from Hell

Another option is some actor that already did movies where they played a queer character like Yeon Woo-jin and Lee Je-hoon in Chingusai? (Just Friends?)
Lee Je-Hoon even said he wanna do one recently

But unfortunately i have to agree with you. Is not so much the actors not wanting to do it but rather TV not investing on BLs and even the actors' agencies dont wanna them to do them. Maybe the streaming platforms like Netflix could fix part of the issue but there is still the agencies issue.

I feel that japanese industry is a a bit better on this matter of casting more mature and famous actors to play queer characters in movies, dramas and even BLs. An japanese actor i would love to see in a BL is Takeru Sato.
Like, come on dude you already did Kamen Rider which is already quite BL-ish so you can do anything. Besides, there is a long list of actors that was on Kamen Rider that years later did BLs and we cant let the "Ride your Kamen" and "Kamen Rider/TOKU to BL pipeline" jokes die

So I have faith that Takeru Sato's turn will come one day

I've heard Gong Yoo and Dong Wook mentioned as a pairing before. And they were definitely the only reason I got as far as I did through Goblin.

I wanna see some of the trendy boys do it too. Give me Lee Dohyun or Rowoon or Lee Jong Suk.

And I can't speak on Japan at all. Haha

sooat

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭133,800
Pronouns
She/Her
Not sure what to make of this. If he intends it in the bisexual way, then he's doing the "controversy" part pretty explicitly, which is what he says he's not doing. I think he might have meant it in the "I'm not a misogynist" way maybe? Since Eunhyuk and Donghae's jijibae controversy is still pretty fresh? Honestly I have no idea because it feels like the first and second half of the sentence are in contradiction with each other. Does anyone have a clip of him saying it and not just a translation?
people were confused in the comments about that, like if it turns out as a scandal is he going to be like ''oh that's not what I meant''

ten.lve

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,800
Pronouns
she/they
here's the actual video i found of him saying it on tiktok. to me, i think it seems pretty genuine like he's indirectly coming out as bisexual without directly saying it to avoid controversy? it is a little confusing tho i do understand where people are coming from on this

Last edited:

babyv004

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭60,895

Him saying " If I answer such a question too directly, it will cause controversy" kinda it makes obvious he is talking about his sexuality
but without him wanting to clarifying what he is (aka bi, pan, etc)
I think this is a way for him to came out (for his lgbtq+ and ally fans) without exactly caming out and if this get him in trouble (like, if this gets attention in korea and people start make articles about it) he can always say that it was about another thing.
I don't think there is anything wrong with being vague if he is not that ready to deal with the attention of the homophobes and potentially even losing jobs in his country bc of it. i also dont like that this got out of the fandom bc it's clear that leeteuk shared that info in a safe space for his fandom.

Anyway, if other idol had said this you guys would immediately say that that idol was hinting to his sexuality but since you guys have so much of prejudice against suju (to a point that are even spreading things that are not truth and dont even care to fact check) you guys tend to dismiss anything that comes from them.

It's kinda sad to see and i dont understand how suju become such of punching bag of kpop fans when there plenty of groups that have members that f*cked up as bad and people tend to forget about it but with suju it's like "i will not only not forget but i am making sure to misspread info about them bc they have so much of a bad reputation that people don't care if it's truth or not so they will automatic believe they actually did it 😈"

The DnE controversy was not even that big. As far as people explain to me there is nothing wrong with that word and it was their own korean fandom making a problem out of it and ruining things for them, god knows why bc ELF can be the biggest suju haters if the members dont behave the way they want them to behave.

They are not bad people like people want to paint them. Yes, they did/said some problematic things in the past but they also tend to apologize and educate themselves and not repeating the same mistakes (the only one i don't claim anymore is siwon)

Anyway, when i was in the OH forum i would avoid talking about them and i didn't even wanted to post things like this ⤴ in the queer post bc i knew that even positive things would make people on there just talk shit about them and spread a bunch of fake info while saying "i don't claim him even if he is queer".
It's frustrating. So my advice for all suju stans and casual listening, since there is people from OH that migrated to here, it's better if you dont post anything about them on this thread.

Last edited:

mimenet

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭615,600
Pronouns
He/Him
Him saying " If I answer such a question too directly, it will cause controversy" kinda it makes obvious he is talking about his sexuality.
I think this is a way for him came out (for his lgbtq+ and ally fans) without exactly caming out and if this get him in trouble (like, if this gets attention in korea and people start make articles about it) he can always say that it was about another thing.
I don't think there is anything wrong with being vague if he is not that ready to deal with the attention of the homophobes and potentially even losing jobs in his country bc of it.

If other idol said this you guys would immediately say that that idol was hinting to his sexuality but since you guys have so much of prejudice against suju (to a point that are even spreading thing that are not truth and dont even care to fact check) you guys tend to dismiss anything that comes from them.

It's kinda sad to see and i dont understand how suju become such of punching bag of kpop fans when there plenty of groups that have members that f*cked up as bad and people tend to forget about it but with suju it's like "i will not only not forget but i am making sure to misspread info about them bc they have so much of a bad reputation that people don't care if it's truth or not so they will automatic believe they actually did it 😈"

The DnE controversy was not even that big. There is nothing wrong with that word and it was their own fandom making a problem out of it and ruining thing for them god knows why bc ELF can be the biggest suju haters. They tend to do this if the members dont behave the way they want

They are not bad people like people want to paint them. Yes, they did/said some problematic things in the past but they also tend to apologize and educate themselves and not repeating the same mistakes (the only one i don't claim anymore is siwon)

Anyway, when i was in the OH forum i would avoid talking about them and i didn't even wanted to post things like this ⤴ in the queer post bc i knew that even positive things would make people on there just talk shit about them and spread a bunch of fake info while saying "i don't claim him even if he is queer".
It's frustrating. So my advice for all suju stans and casual listening, since there is people from OH that migrated to here, it's better if you dont post anything about them on this thread.

That clip where he supports the trans fan is actually what made me think it may be a bad interpretation without seeing a clip. Frankly, I think this is one of the most genuine and caring responses I've ever seen any celebrity say on the topic of transness. I came away from this clip with a very good impression of Leeteuk that I've kept. He struck me as thoughtful, well spoken, and very brave to even read that comment aloud let alone discuss it in the way he did. That's actually why this new statement strikes me as so odd, because I feel like if he was going to come out it wouldn't be delivered so muddled like this.

Although now that I've seen the clip, I'm more willing to believe it's not an odd translation. The question is phrased a little childishly and I think that's why he answered the way he did, because he could feasibly deflect, since he's only saying he "likes" both men and women. Then I think the controversy mention came when he realized it was a little more transparent than he was anticipating and wanted to walk it back a little.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭86,400
Pronouns
He/Him
Imma delete this. I realized I don't have the energy for this debate nor care enough. Lol. I'll rescind my shade today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom